Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2008 12:33:55 PM EDT
Photos here

To give you an idea of the size/scope of the compound.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap, that took some dough to build.  I had no idea it was that big.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow that place looks highly defendable
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Talk about living 'off the grid'....they needed no one..
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Its too bad this latest raid will probably not amount to anything legallly... we might have been able to get the whole thing for a song at auction...
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn thats a lot of pedophiles in one spot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, that place is nothing like I thought it would be.

Future ARFLAND?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Its too bad this latest raid will probably not amount to anything legallly... we might have been able to get the whole thing for a song at auction...

Sorry, Michael Jackson would outbid us.

Would be one hell of a group buy though.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#9]
That castle-looking thing is nuts... I would have thought that's their chapel but with the windows the way they are it looks more like an office building.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice property they have there.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like its laid out to be defended well.
Surprised they didn't fight it out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That castle-looking thing is nuts... I would have thought that's their chapel but with the windows the way they are it looks more like an office building.

It looks more like a prison to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#13]
They have a lot of modern vehicles and heavy equipment for such an austere society.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Doesn't look like there is much housing there to give everyone personal space.  It must be cramped dorm type housing with lots of bunk beds.  What's saddest is the kids who are born into this oppressive lifestyle have no idea what the outside world is truly like and they think where they live is normal life.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks more like a prison to me.

I'm sure the women would say the same, if they were allowed to speak, or think.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep, they must have a LOT more money than the Branch Davidians.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]

You realize you're just setting yourself up, here, right Daisy?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Reminds me a lot of the Temple in Nauvoo, Illinois. I'd wager that structure is likely the temple.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You realize you're just setting yourself up, here, right Daisy?

This isn't about you knuckle dragging men's views on women.  This is real life.  And it's fucked up.

OK, I thought it was funny.  but seriously, it's a bad situation.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Your tax dollars at work.  

All those wives are "Single Mothers" in the eyes of the Govt. They receive hundreds of thousands of dollars in state and federal assistance, including food stamps, medical and dental expenses.
This is seen as helping to advance the "Kingdom of God."
Google "bleeding the beast."
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Your tax dollars at work.  

All those wives are "Single Mothers" in the eyes of the Govt. They receive hundreds of thousands of dollars in state and federal assistance, including food stamps, medical and dental expenses.
This is seen as helping to advance the "Kingdom of God."
Google "bleeding the beast."

Yep, I read in one article that the mean income for men in colorado city is 25K, and the women are slightly under at 22K.  Doing what?  Earning welfare?  By making babies that don't know who they're real parents are?

must stop.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Surprised they didn't fight it out.

Maybe they're not suicidal nuts, like the Branch Davidians.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#24]
it's right under our approach corridor back into laughlin.  we've known about them for as long as i've been here.  I didn't know they were mormons,  we just thought they were another "drink the koolaid" type bunch of comet riders.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#25]
"Others disagreed, however, and pointed out that the fundamentalist Mormons, who had been victims of government persecution, were owed money by that same government. These men slowly gained the upper hand within the inner workings of the FLDS as they sought ever more inventive ways to access state and federal dollars. Chief among these was Fred Jessop, a community leader who led the effort to incorporate the City of Hildale on the Utah side of the border and who was successful in getting a highway built to the town.

Soon, the informal policy known as Bleeding the Beast took on a life of its own. According to the Aug. 11, 2003, edition of the Prescott Daily Courier, the policy's ominous name was a reference to a similar practice implemented by LDS founding prophet Joseph Smith and his successor Brigham Young during the height of Mormon persecution,

The practice reportedly spread quickly as it gained acceptance among the FLDS faithful, which happened to coincide with the explosive growth of state and federal assistance programs. Multiple wives, who were married in church, but not in the eyes of the law, began applying for state assistance. Food Stamps and federal programs like WIC, which provide nutritional assistance to low-income women and children, were also tapped. So were healthcare dollars through Arizona's AHCCCS program, which provides most of the medical insurance for residents in Colorado City AZ. Last year over 4,000 residents were enrolled, reportedly costing the state about $8 million a year.
[...]

Jon Krakauer, author wrote in his book "Under the Banner of Heaven" that fundamentalist leaders in Colorado City view the whole process as "creative budgeting." He says that they regard it as a "virtuous act."

For her part, Flora Jessop, who says she fled the group in order to escape living a forced polygamous lifestyle, says of the people in Colorado City, "They are told to go on welfare. It's called ‘bleeding the beast' and they find it amusing that Satan is supporting God's work."
Source: Bleeding the Beast The Eldorado Success, Oct. 14, 2004.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Jessop: Colorado City squandering federal funds

By Mike Watkiss / 3TV Investigative reporter
KTVK NewsChannel 3 - Phoenix  

In the polygamous community of Colorado City, a practice known as "bleeding the beast" is allegedly taking place.

Activist for victims of Polygamy, Flora Jessop, who alerted authorities to the polygamist prophet Warren Jeffs' move to Texas, says city officials are taking in large sums of federal money and then using that money to fund things that the government never intended to fund.

Jessop says this practice has lead to rampant welfare fraud among polygamist families. It's also, says Jessop, created a crisis in the city's school district.

And now there are serious questions about grant money supplied by Homeland Security is being misused by city officials.

"What is it going to take for [the government] to stop paying these criminals," asked Jessop. "It's bleeding the beast. They're using our government to fund their crimes."

According to Jessop, and indicated in documents obtained by 3TV, Colorado City's tiny fire department received a whopping $350,000 in Homeland Security funds last year. The community received the third largest Homeland Security grant in the state, behind only Phoenix and Fort Huachuca, Arizona.

Jessop says hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money has also allegedly been misappropriated by the Colorado City Unified School District and misused as officials purchased nice cars, private businesses and even an airplane.

The question is, what safeguards are in place for this Homeland Security money that apparently continues to flow into the pockets of the polygamist run town?

"We've got a federal FBI warrant out," said Jessop. "For the leader of this group, you would think that the federal government would be smart enough to stop the flow of money to this guy."

At a recent press conference announcing the increased reward for Jeffs’ capture, Arizona Atty. General Terry Goddard said, "We're concerned about every source of public money utilized by Colorado City. They've proved themselves the master of grant applications."

"[The money is used] to finance Warren Jeffs, for terrorism on women and children," said Jessop pointing to the recent arrest of Jeff's younger brother, Seth Jeffs. He was arrested late last year in Colorado after allegedly transporting tens of thousands of dollars to his fugitive sibling.

Jessops says there's a painful irony in the fact that while the government is actively trying to track down Warren Jeffs, another branch of the government is supplying his followers with mountains of taxpayer money.

"They need to take over that city's government," Jessop said

We called the fire department in Colorado City and were told no one would available for comment until next week.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like a nice compound.
I bet we could get a lot of ARFcommers living there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:30:45 PM EDT
[#28]
No 15' wall to keep the zombies out?

Some compound.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#29]
this would make a good Battlefield 2 map
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Kill with fire.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#31]
How about a Google Maps aerial view? Those pictures take WAY too long to load.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#32]
That place is awesome.  I'm sure the deer hunting is primo, too bad it's owned by a bunch of weirdos.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yeah, they loaded a LOT faster before I linked to them here.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh, I bet. I'd try to find it myself, but I have no idea where to start looking, and Texas is a pretty big place.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh, I bet. I'd try to find it myself, but I have no idea where to start looking, and Texas is a pretty big place.

It's even bigger when what what your looking for is in a different state.

Try Colorado city Arizona
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
btt 4 nc
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top