Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2008 12:10:01 PM EDT
A swarm of bees just took over a small tree in my neighbors yard.  I can't really burn them as its not on my property, so I've got a call into the local bee keeper to see if he can come get them.

Pics shortly.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ain't it cool!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice to see them bounce back from the mites that nearly wiped them out a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
They are looking for a new nest.  Leave them bee.    They move out of their old place and congregate around their queen while other bees go off to find a new home.  Once they locate a suitable place, they will move in and the bees will be gone without a trace.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude european honey bees do not do that.  That is typical africanized (killer bee) behavior.  I would let the bee keeper you call know about this, so he, the police, and the fire department take proper precautions.   That is a dangerous swarm.  I am not kidding!!! Oh, I might let your neighbors know about it too, before they get stung a couple of thousand times.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]
where bee TBK1?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Left a message for the neighbors.  They are really not in a good place.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If they're not Africanized they do not need to be killed.  We need them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dude european honey bees do not do that.  That is typical africanized (killer bee) behavior.  I would let the bee keeper you call know about this, so he, the police, and the fire department take proper precautions.   That is a dangerous swarm.  I am not kidding!!! Oh, I might let your neighbors know about it too, before they get stung a couple of thousand times.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

-1 bad info - European bees also swarm.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
European honeybees DO swarm.

A beekeeper could get some "free" bees from that swarm easily.  I have "rescued" a swarm myself in my backyard off of one of my apple trees.

A nice firm shake will send the mass of bees into the box (hopefully with the queen inside the swarm).  Then you can find the queen and tag her for easy ID, or squish her and replace her with a queen of your choice.  

Bees are quite expensive these days.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Run up and hit them with a tennis racket.

(Have someone hold your beer)

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A beekeeper could get some "free" bees from that swarm easily.  I have "rescued" a swarm myself in my backyard off of one of my apple trees.

A nice firm shake will send the mass of bees into the box (hopefully with the queen inside the swarm).  Then you can find the queen and tag her for easy ID, or squish her and replace her with a queen of your choice.  

So, your saying I need a box?

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
where is TBK ???
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nothing unusual about that swarm from the pic.  I kept bees through high school and getting them from peoples trees was the only way I ever got a new hive.  If you see something I don't please elucidate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Post a photo of yourself playing a saxophone and wearing a bee beard!

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, your saying I need a box?

Bill3508

Yeah, and a video camera.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

FAIL
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool that they are that close to the ground.  It will be easy to catch that swarm.

Good on you for calling in a beekeeper.  be sure to get him to promise you some honey in return.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sensed the pwnag3 before the ink was dry on that post
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#21]
You need a hive body, but I have used a box to transport bees before.

You take out most of the frames, shake the bees into the hive body, and relax.

European bees that are swarming are not overly aggressive.

Oh, and don't do anything if you are unsure if you are allergic to bee stings.  You may be surprised how many people have never been stung by a bee- they think they have, but in fact they were stung by hornets, wasps, etc.  Everything that stings is labeled a "bee" by many people.

Beekeeping is a lot of fun.  It is an equipment intensive hobby, though- sort of like reloading.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Just cuz someone had to link this internet classic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Beekeeper won't call me back.  It won't be long before the fire truck and popo show up to remove the bees.  The neighbor across the street was walking her dog and said the bees were swarming around here head, lol, and now she has all the other busy bodies upset.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Just cuz someone had to link this internet classic.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Beekeeper won't call me back.  It won't be long before the fire truck and popo show up to remove the bees.  The neighbor across the street was walking her dog and said the bees were swarming around here head, lol, and now she has all the other busy bodies upset.

Bill3508

must get pics and video of the carnage!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:

Thats what I was thinking. Hell either way I wouldnt chance it
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Gee, that is sad.  Swarms generally come from close by.  Any neighbors who are beekeepers?

If the bees must be killed then soapy water will prove lethal and won't destroy property.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Run up and hit them with a tennis racket.

(Have someone hold your beer)

Video is a must
Doing it in boxer shorts gets bonus points
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Post a craigslist add for free bees.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Calling other beekeepers right now.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Got someone coming to get them in an hour.  I'll try to get pics once he gets here.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Call a beekeeper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Got someone coming to get them in an hour.  I'll try to get pics once he gets here.

Bill3508

hopefully she's hot

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill3508

hopefully she's hot

Its a guy if your into that kind of thing.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Beekeeper just came and got most of the bees.  Believes he got the queen.  I'm getting pics ready now.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I was lucky enough to be taught by an old hand at bee keeping.  The way I did it was to turn on the sprinkler or hose  to simulate rain and then when they had returned to the swarm I cut the branch they were on as close as possible and put in in a brood box; making sure to tape the entrance closed on the way home.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Very cool!  Glad it was successful and fire or water wasn't necessary!  Much prefer to see them collected.  Question for the beekeepers - You guys can identify normal honeybees from Africanized pretty easily right?  If you had a swarm like that, you'd be able to tell?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#38]
To me the difference is in size and color.  The African bees have more black in their color and are slightly smaller.  Not as "fat".
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Beekeeper just came and got most of the bees.  Believes he got the queen.  I'm getting pics ready now.

Bill3508

SWEET.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Here are the pics.  I didn't get the first one where he knocked the huge clump in the bucket though.  I didn't know what was going to happen and was scared.  However, they don't really do much and I quickly got to with a couple feet of them without any stings for the me or the beekeeper.  The coolest part was he just put them in the van without a worry or a way to keep them contained as the queen was already in the bucket.

And he gave me some free honey.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#41]
bill3508,  I'm curious to know how you got in touch with the bee keeper.  In our city there was a company that sold beeswax candles.  They had an extractor that we used  and they were like a clearing house for bee swarms.  People would call them and they knew most of the bee keepers in the area.  How did you do it?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow, great pics... definitely one of the neater threads this week, IMO.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#43]
TBK1 is going to be proud of you, good job.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
bill3508,  I'm curious to know how you got in touch with the bee keeper.  In our city there was a company that sold beeswax candles.  They had an extractor that we used  and they were like a clearing house for bee swarms.  People would call them and they knew most of the bee keepers in the area.  How did you do it?

I googled Georgia beekeepers and there is a Georgia Beekeepers Association.  Picked the one for my county who was able to give me a contact number for the gentleman who captured the bees.

Overall it was pretty cool.  I've seen the kill it with fire videos and other bee related death videos, but its not really necessary.  They really had no intention of stinging anyone.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Honey bees are good , other bees are evil. You done good.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#46]
I need to get a hive or two and start my own bee farm......
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Thats really cool!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I googled Georgia beekeepers and there is a Georgia Beekeepers Association.  Picked the one for my county who was able to give me a contact number for the gentleman who captured the bees.

Overall it was pretty cool.  I've seen the kill it with fire videos and other bee related death videos, but its not really necessary.  They really had no intention of stinging anyone.

Bill3508

After reading your response I realized what a stupid question I posed.  Google is my friend now but he was unknown to me in the 60's.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill3508

Good on you. Honey bees have been taking it on the chin lately and you probably just got yourself an inroad to free or discounted honey for awhile.

Remember :
no bees equals no agriculture
no agriculture equals no people
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Excellent work, Bill.

Now go get a catalog from Dadant (supplies): www.dadant.com

You live in one of the best places in the USA to raise bees.  Keith Delaplane is, IIRC, a Georgia native who teaches bee keeping skills.  His books and instructional videos are excellent.

You can also take classes about beekeeping at local colleges- the beekeeper association you contacted would be an excellent resource.

Beekeepers are- with very few exceptions- a great group of people.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top