Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2008 11:18:02 AM EDT
I called Seagate about replacing a defective hard drive. It's not just the thick Indian accent that tips me off to the fact this guy might not be in America, but the fact he could not understand the letter Z.

Me: 1234Z
Him: 1234C
Me: no Z
Him: C?
Me: ZEE for ZELDA, ZEBRA
Him: Pardon me sir
*pause*
Him: 1234C
Me: ZEE ZEE for ZEBRA the letter ZEE, the last letter of the alphabet
Him: I'm sorry sir could you repeat the serial number once more..

Then I remember English people say ZED so maybe its the same in India

Me: 1234-ZED
Him: Oooh 1234-ZED thank you sir
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Why to we pay for first rate tech support but get it from a third world country?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL. Well that's not as awkward as when the Indian (or Filipino) guy I called at Sprint was chatting me up, trying to be all friendly. It felt like he was hitting on me or something.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Do it online next time.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate when they try to talk street to you. "Oh our service is the bomb-diggity." "C'mon dawg, don't be hatin'."

Or when they say their name is Johnny or Sally. No it isn't! It's Jamdig Srinivasn and you fucking know it! Don't lie to me!
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to talk to them everyday
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Or when they say their name is Johnny or Sally. No it isn't! It's Jamdig Srinivasn and you fucking know it! Don't lie to me!

They aren't doing it to annoy you.  They're doing it to make things easier and speed things along.  If you complain about Johnny, the supervisor will know who you are talking about.

My wife has an unusual name.  Not crazy, not hard to spell, just a normal, English word.  But you don't hear many people named that.  In fact, I don't know anyone else named that.

She worked in a call center for a while a few years back.  After hearing the 1000th person make fun of her name, not understand her name, comment on how unusual and/or/weird/or pretty her name was (basically disrupting and delaying every single call she took), she asked her supervisor if she could start going by a different name on the phone.  They had no problem with it.  Suddenly, all the headaches went away.

The guy on the line could just as easily say "I am operator 312," and you'd have everything you needed if you wanted to speak with him again, complain about him, or compliment him.  But it seems standoffish and cold to the caller, so they don't usually do it that way.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
 z  and in zebra .........  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top