Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2001 7:31:19 PM EDT
What is the frame designation for a Colt Dt. Special?

Or does it even have a separate one?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It was a D Frame.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Steel Rat!

I'm looking for some replacement grips for my wife and that helps a lot.

Appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Observer:

As far as grips go, there are two different Detective Special frames.  The original had a full-length grip tang (I guess that’s what it’s called) – the standard grips are flat on the inside and attach to either side of the tang like most Smith and Wesson grips.  The newer frames have a shorter tang – the standard grips are mortised and touch each other at the bottom.

In other words, hold the gun upside down and look at the bottom of the grip.  If you’ve got an original frame, you will see the two grip halves with the steel tang in the center.  If you do this with the newer frame, all you would see are the two grip halves touching each other.   (This is true when you’re looking at the original factory grips, some aftermarket grips may extend over or wrap around the tang regardless of its size.)

Unless you’ve got a pretty old gun, it’s probably going to have the shorter tang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top