Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2008 1:54:45 PM EDT
Stopped at Ayers Gap and Baileys Ravine first...it was really nice out today. 60 with no wind, kinda sunny.

Heres a deep little pool...

Next I stopped at "Under the Mountain Rd" in Franklin CT. its a mile down the road from Ayers Gap.
My grandparents/uncles told me about "Devils Den" and when they were younger there was 6 rooms you could go into.  Now there is only 2...if that.  I didn't have a flashlight so I wasn't able to go into the cave but I will try it tomorrow.
It was tough to find, there are HUGe boulders everywhere...I walked around until something caught my eye.  Faded old paint...it said "To den"
There is also a 1700's/1800's Cemetery in this area but I could not find it.

After that, I decided to go down to Gachee's, this is where we swim/jump during the summer. 15ft-20ft Jump from the highest point depending on how high the water is.  
Its really deep, and was surprisingly very clear today.

Link Posted: 4/8/2008 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The camera im using is just a Canon Powershot A540.

I went back to devils den today...I crawled into the first room of the cave.  To the left is a passage that is now blocked off by a collapsed rock.  To the right is a tunnel with writing at the end of it and an arrow.  I crawled to a point where I would have to crawl on my side between two rocks, and sadly I pussied out But I will end up doing it this summer(Hopefully)
My grandfather says there are only two rooms left on the inside, the rest collapsed when they blasted for the road down below in the valley. There were more rooms and passages with an exit on the other side of the boulder.

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool pictures. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful land.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool pictures.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Great photos. Makes me want to get out in the woods.

Edited for speling mistaks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#8]
neat area.  Is the AT anywhere near that area?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#9]
So, when do your leaves come out on the trees?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Other side of the state. The AT runs along the west border with NY. There's about 51 miles of AT in CT. Like much of the AT, it's a beautiful if very busy trail.

I'd like to head down to Franklin to check out that trail. I've been looking for new trails to explore. Great pics, thanks

Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#11]
great pics. beautiful country :)
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#12]
cool.  CT has my vote for some great looking outdoor areas.  Being up in CT, I suppose it is a bit  nippy and covered in snow in the middle of winter.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I would love to live there if you guys could own x39 AKs
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Wooot!!!!  I crawled back into Devil's Den once, pretty damn cool. Don't pussy out next time!

I live in western CT, so I don't make it out to those parts as much as I'd like to.

The Appalachian trail ran through the campus of my boarding school, about 45 minutes north of where I currently live. Frickin' awesome time.

As much as I like CT however, I can't wait until I move and can buy a rifle that says "Colt" on it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
They are over rated (x39 AK's that is)
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They are over rated (x39 AK's that is)

I certainly like mine
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Wooot!!!!  I crawled back into Devil's Den once, pretty damn cool. Don't pussy out next time!

I live in western CT, so I don't make it out to those parts as much as I'd like to.

The Appalachian trail ran through the campus of my boarding school, about 45 minutes north of where I currently live. Frickin' awesome time.

As much as I like CT however, I can't wait until I move and can buy a rifle that says "Colt" on it.

What else is in there?
You crawl down the tunnel to the right, and im guessing there is another room to the left when you get to the end?
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd like to head down to Franklin to check out that trail. I've been looking for new trails to explore. Great pics, thanks

Its a really nice area, but go soon...its not all that nice during the summer.
The trail is located off of Rt. 32.
There is also another trail above on the other side of Ayers Mt.  its called "Hyde Park" at the top of Pleasure Hill Rd.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice!

Where are the leaves on your trees?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top