Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/7/2008 9:48:51 PM EDT
Just got my first one tonight.  A Kimber.
Haven't even shot it yet.  I think I am in love.  All of my Glocks are probably plotting an uprising when I put her in the safe tonight.  Wonder how she will fare.  These .45 ACP's look pretty daunting.

I think it hates liberals more then I do.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]

I'll be getting my first handgun soon, and you can be sure it will be a 1911.

Shot a couple throughout my life so far, with a few other pistols, and I love the 1911 the most.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets make it a party.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
hows it feel to own a REAL mans gun!!? not some glockensphiel homo butt plug!
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
That's purdy.  I love my 1911 and wouldn't trade/sell it for virtually anything(granted, mine is a Springfield Armory GI which cost quite a bit less than that I'm guessing, but it was my first pistol purchase when I was living on a veeery lean budget).
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice pistol.  I think you will enjoy it for many years.  I got one of the first generation of Kimber rail guns.  Don't be disapointed if it takes many rounds for break in.  Mine took right at a thousand.  Now has approximately 50,000 through it and still accurate and reliable as ever.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When I was researching what 1911 to buy, I read a post that said something to the effect of "Glocks are great and have a place.  But polymer doesn't have a soul."

I think that pretty much sums it up.  I haven't felt this stoked about a new gun since my first.

eta:  If they ever have to pry a gun from my cold dead hands, I think I want it to be the cold steel of a 1911.  I sound like a school girl.  I haven't even shot it yet and I think this is my favorite pistol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
congrats on the new addition, I hope she runs well for ya!

also, did someone say 1911 party?

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Where's your light and holster?
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]
There's just something about them, huh?

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was researching what 1911 to buy, I read a post that said something to the effect of "Glocks are great and have a place.  But polymer doesn't have a soul."

I think that pretty much sums it up.  I haven't felt this stoked about a new gun since my first.

eta:  If they ever have to pry a gun from my cold dead hands, I think I want it to be the cold blistering hot steel of a 1911.  I sound like a school girl.  I haven't even shot it yet and I think this is my favorite pistol.

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where's your light and holster?

The light is on my Glock 19.  Until I break this puppy in and learn to shoot it as well as I do my Glocks, the Glock 19 will be my nightstand gun.

I've got some research to do before I jump into the holster buying.  I want to try an avoid the hit and miss I went through with the Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
An ARFCOM sword fight? (Kimbers Rock!!)

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta:  If they ever have to pry a gun from my cold dead hands, I think I want it to be the cold blistering hot steel of a 1911.  I sound like a school girl.  I haven't even shot it yet and I think this is my favorite pistol.

Fixed it for you

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
congrats on the new edition, I hope she runs well for ya!

i169.photobucket.com/albums/u239/MagiKBullet/trp11.jpg

Wow that is bad ass.  Sorry for the 1911 newb-tardedry, but what make/model is that?
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine's had well over 10,000 rounds through it. I'll never get rid of it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Lets make it a party.

farm1.static.flickr.com/230/512728835_8dee65710c.jpg?v=0

OK

the revolver is a S&W Model 1917 in 45ACP
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow that is bad ass.  Sorry for the 1911 newb-tardedry, but what make/model is that?

I notice a TRP on the back of the slide, so I'm guessing a Springfield TRP.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
congrats on the new addition, I hope she runs well for ya!

springfield trp
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I notice a TRP on the back of the slide, so I'm guessing a Springfield TRP.

looks nice!
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#22]
you bastard, now I need a 2nd 1911.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There's just something about them, huh?

+1

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Congrats on your first 1911.  Like the other poster mentioned, these guns have soul.    

My pre-70's series Colt Govt.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll play.

My good luck charm:

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I like Colt 1911's

i27.tinypic.com/1604jys.jpg

I'm not a big fan of Kimber's, I had real bad luck with the Kimber I owned

I am beginning to fear that one of each might be in my future.  I thought my AR15 addiction was bad.  I'm am fearing a 1911 disease might be setting in.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Go find out if it works.

If it does, then you can be excited.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#29]
The 1911 and CZ-75 are the two designs given to us by God through his prophets, John Moses Browning and some commie bastard. They are, simply put, the perfect handguns.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, except for the neutered mag capacity.

3 rounds less than what a liberal would allow me is .
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The 1911 and CZ-75 are the two designs given to us by God through his prophets, John Moses Browning and some commie bastard. They are, simply put, the perfect handguns.

the glock was invented by Satan to trick the good into following him, right?
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#32]
1911s. Hell yeah.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still love my Glock 19.   Of all my Glocks, and all my handguns, it is the one I would want to carry into a fight.  I haven't trained with the 1911 yet, that may change.

I was always a big Glock lover.  Still am in fact.  But I have to admit, for whatever reason, there is just something about this pistol (the 1911).

It just isn't the same.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  But this 1911 has something that my Glocks don't.  I love my Glocks, they do what they were intended to do, and they do it well.  There is something special about the 1911 though.  I don't know if it is the history or what.

I love this thing.  I can't wait to get out and shoot it.

Before anyone reads my post and starts a glock vs. 1911 flame war, this is my disclaimer, I haven't even shot this thing yet and am a complete 1911 newb.  But damnit, I love this pistol. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

eta:  PC disclaimer:  and everyone who like pistols besides glocks and 1911s, your stuff is nice too.  Haha, pc bullshit just like with the liberals.

eta again:  1911s kick ass!  STFU!
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I feel the same way EV.  

I also love my G34 and probably shoot it a wee bit better than my 1911, but there's just something about the 1911 that makes me like it more...
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The next gun on my list is a CZ75 SA.  I really didn't know what I was missing until I held one.  The only way to describe the CZ75, or the 1911 for that matter, is pure, unfiltered sexual intercourse forged into a handheld object by God himself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I feel the same way EV.  

I also love my G34 and probably shoot it a wee bit better than my 1911, but there's just something about the 1911 that makes me like it more...

I think a G34 might be in my future one day, depending upon how my new found 1911 disease goes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The next gun on my list is a CZ75 SA.  I really didn't know what I was missing until I held one.  The only way to describe the CZ75, or the 1911 for that matter, is pure, unfiltered sexual intercourse forged into a handheld object by God himself.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#39]
My 1911 and my Glock were alone in the safe...... 9 months later:

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I just want to add one more thing before I go to bed.

No liberal puke will EVER take my 1911.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/IMGP3282resize.jpg

You sold the glock for mags?

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#42]
My first 1911 pushed my G-Lock into "truck gun" status. The G-Lock will get over it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
you bastard, now I need a 2nd 1911.

No sh*t! I need one too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'll play.

My good luck charm:

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c284/springfield1911/DSC04945.jpg

Hey! That picture was my desktop image for a while!
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff124/flytosail/IMGP3282resize.jpg

You sold the glock for mags?

No, they had "gun-sex" and made a hi-cap 1911.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I likes 'em too!   Especially the good ones under $400.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The standard CZ-75 actually has a better single-action trigger than the 75 SA, or so I'm told by folks who have handled both.

My next gun is a CZ-75B in 9mm. The next handgun after that is an EAA Witness (CZ-75 clone) in 10mm Auto, the holiest of calibers.

Even Jeff Cooper, who faithfully preached the word of the 1911 in .45ACP, recognized that the CZ-75 was its equal and that 10mm was the mighiest of semi-auto handgun calibers. He combined the two into the Bren Ten, and lo, it was good.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, yes.

Excerpt from The Gospel According To John (Moses Browning):

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good.  And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith.  For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911.  The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase.  For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord.  For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim.  And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. a

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken.  Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men.  And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation b by the followers of John.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a  Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4.  And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."

b or Hell

And lest we forget, Pratchett fans may remember that elves are enamored with "ancient and powerful weapons known in the ancient tongue as the Browning Automatic".

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I use to think 1911's were cool once.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll play, too.  I love my still-growing 1911.

Link Posted: 4/7/2008 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#50]
While the high-cap 1911 is an acceptable tool, my personal feelings on the matter are that a bare-bones 1911A1 is the best 1911. I don't need fancy plastic or rubber grips, wood panels are fine. I don't need some super awesome fiber optic adjustable sights, plain jane fixed sights are good enough. Basically, I don't need some high-speed low-drag race gun in a 1911; the 1911 is designed for one single, specific purpose:

Killing shit deader than a hippie under an Israeli bulldozer.*

And it has excelled at this, in its basic form, for nearly a century and shows no signs of becoming obsolete any time soon, no matter what the misguided heathens with their dishwasher-safe guns say. Now, night sights are fine and even recommended, as is a chrome-lined barrel. But really, the 1911 works best when it isn't mucked around with and by golly, IT GETS THE JOB DONE AND KILLS SHIT.

If I want a "tactical" gun, I'll go with my other platform and get a CZ-75 variant with an accessory rail so I can add a light. And that's it.
*I get almost as much mileage out of that line as a certain poster did with his "Deagle wit' the beamz" jpg.

ETA: My belief is that guns are best when following the KISS theory of design and function: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top