Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 2:19:50 PM EDT
Whoa! Just read about OneShot.  I've been worried about one day when I'm minding my own business going to the range and somebody decides I'm now a bad guy.

I've been thinking of making up a laminated card to keep in my wallet, safe, and wife's wallet for those occasions that I never want to face.  Either the OneShot scenario or the home defense scenario.

If you had to make a pocket legal survival kit, what would you put on it besides your personal lawyer?  Numbers appreciated too.

Aside: would someone kindly email me the OneShot incident privately.  I saw the many threads, but never saw the root thread.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Anytime you are in legal trouble the ONLY number you need is your lawyer's number.

Don't say anything until you talk to your attorney. If anyone asks any questions refer them to your attorney. If your attorney is worth their salt, they will have any important number you will immediately need.

Just give them your name/ID and ask for your attorney. They might say things like, "If you aren't guilty of anything wrong then why do you need an attorney?". Just tell them that you will need to consult with your attorney and get back with them on that. Don't say anything without an attorney. Don't consent to anything without your attorneys knowledge.

Don't forget to immediately contact your attorney.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out this link

[url]www.aclu.org/library/bustcard.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#3]
"If you aren't guilty of doing anything wrong why do you need an attorney present?"

Me: "My attorney says I'm not supposed to talk with you unless he's present or he'll sue my ass off" [:)]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
prophead just see the top of the forum. The original post is tacked there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
jhasz- will have to memorize that

The first thing to remember is not call your atty, its make sure you have one to call.  Make sure he is suitable to your requirements and temperment, not your brother-in-laws who uses him for Condo docs. Make sure he knows you PRIOR to making a call from the pokey. Make sure he is NOT a plea bargain guy, unless you want a plea bargain.

If any barristers could comment on this line of thinking it might be helpful.

Steve-in-VA you out there?

Luck
Alac

Three things you dont want to find out are pieces of shit when you need them - your pistol, your parachute and your attorney.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
ACLU "bust card".
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From my wallet:

Bruce Colodny Firearms Lawyer
California and Federal Courts
Orange and San Bernardino CA

[url]www.gunlaw.com[/url]
View Quote

I know someone that was VERY DISAPPOINTED in Colodny. Let's just say he is one of those lawyers who asks for money up front then trying to get in contact with him afterwards is harder than tracking down Osama Bin Laden.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother trying to call a lawyer if you are busted, but CALL A RELATIVE THAT CAN CONTACT A LAWYER FOR YOU. If you only get 1 phone call, do you really want to waste it on an answering machine that says "Mr. Lawyer is out of the office right now but will get back to you as soon as possible" and then find out after sitting in jail for 3 days that he was on a golf vacation?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top