Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 12:14:59 PM EDT
Today I went to the hardware store to get some plastic hose. I saw the owner at the gun counter polishing a new Winchester 94 in 30/30. He strikes up a conversation about my AR-10 and then on to the new Winchester he is polishing. I tell him I was thinking about a 30/30 for my inventory. He says here, hold it. I take it from him, shoulder the rifle and check it's sights, then I work and listen to it's action, Oh Oh palpitations start. He casually mentions the price. I give the rifle back to him with my sweaty hands and he starts to polish the receiver again. Each time his polishing rag crosses the receiver I start to feel a little more anxious. I am torn at this point, I know I should leave but I can't. I see the $$$ signs in my mind, now I need a plan to get this rifle without getting my ass in a sling with the wife. After the AR-10 I promised I would lay off for awhile. So magically (perhaps the devil even helped) a idea pops into my mind how I can pull this off, <<>>. So now I've got the rifle blues until I get my new last rifle for awhile home. The wife really so far has taken it pretty well, but I think I know why. She has started to paint the house and was talking about new rugs and furniture, (damn what a waste of good money) but anyhow, she got me, or maybe I got myself.    

All the way home I'm thinking it must have been his polishing rag going across the receiver that got me hot. Damn I feel so cheap and taken advantage of. HE+HE+HE
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I know how you feel.  For quite a while I was forced to cut back on hobbies like home maintenance and utilities to support my habit.  However, I managed to find strength to overcome my serious jones.  I recently refinanced my house and took out some equity - [size=2]and spent it on home improvements![/size=2]  Now when I see a gun I'd really like to have, I merely break out in a cold sweat, and then I lie down until the urge goes away.  

God, but I did like it better before.[>(]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Lever actions, oh man! They have a way of capturing your whole attention, believe me that 94 will not be the last[:D]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Winchester model 94 was my first firearm.  I worked in the berry fields all summer to pay for half.  When my birthday came around my dad paid for the other half.  I think he wanted a hunting buddy as much as I wanted the rifle.

25 years later it's still my brush buster of choice.  Damned I'm old.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know the specific model, but aren't most 30/30s relatively cheap compared to anything except a cheapo 12 Gauge or 22 Rimfire.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Winchester model 94's are about $400 to $450 retail according to their web site.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My first "real" gun that I bought when I turned 18 was a Winchester 94 in 30-30. I got it at JCPenneys for the princely sum of $55.00! A Win 94 Walnut/non checkered wholesales for $288.00. A M94 Ranger is $250.00...
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, but they are only bout 250 to 300 used. At least that's what they are round these parts.  The market around here is saturated with em.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I gave $319 dollars for mine, I know I could get a 94 cheaper at some of the large chain stores, but I would have to drive 50 miles to get to one, and I like my dealer, he always throws in a box of shells too.

edited: I would like to add this rifle is a centennial model, it has 1894-1994 stamped on the right side of the receiver, if that means anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top