Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2001 12:39:27 AM EDT
The pro USA manifestation in Rome was held in the center of the city, and VIP (included the chief of the NYPD) spoke on a stage with the USA flag and Italian flag showed toghether.
The square (Piazza del Popolo) was full of Stars-n-striped and Italian flags also. I was astonished when mi wife and me saw also big Israeli flags in the middle of the crowd, but terrorism is something that Israeli also know very well.
I never heard such a beautiful version of the USA National Anthem performed by a choir and orchestra. Something really moving!
Aside the fact that our Prime Minister sponsorized this manifestation, the feeling there was that finally also people that don't love communism, that have a patriottic feeling, that loves USA and western civilization can demonstrate, that democracy is not a monopoly and doesn't stand only on the side where red flags are waving to the wind.
To complete the picture, and to be honest, the SAME day what is the no global organizations and sponsorized by the leaders of the new communists parties organized a manifestation "agaisnt war".
The left wing journalists made a big effort to say that it wasn't a manifestation agaist USA, but only against terrorism and war, but there were some attempts to burn USA and Israeli flags (stopped by the security service of the manifestants...) and anyway signs with written on "USA and Israel murderers" were clearly visible. I felt that, even the freedom of opinion should be granted, this people don't belong to me and to the Italy I know.

Hope this report will be helpful for my american friends

Paolo AR15 Ortenzi
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
PRO-AMERICA?!?!?!

Great! You don't see that every day.

I hope people really feel that way,most of the world seems to be anti-American from what I can see.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]
That is good news. The U.S. is going to kick some butt soon.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:24:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Mille grazie, Paolo. They played some footage from the pro-USA parades and rally on CNN World News and it looked incredible to see all those US and Italian flags together! They even showed some of the Israeli flags that were being carried too!

Unfortunately, they also showed an anti-Aamerican parade and rally that was happening on the other side of the City.

The CNN World news anchor commented, however, that the Police were keeping the two crowds separated, because a large contingent of the anti-US group were made up of the same groups that caused the rioting at the WTO/anti-globalism riots earlier this year!

Eric The(Ciao!)Hun[>]:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top