Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 7:53:41 PM EDT
Does GA have state income tax?
Where is a good place to live in and around Atlanta? Somewhere kinda yuppie 'ish middle class neighborhood.
Can  you have Class3 in GA?
How bout CCW?
Car registration. Is there such a thing as smog check? How much is it per year? Can't be as bad as CA

Reason I am asking is that, I have an interview with a bank there. This position is somewhat different from what I have been doing, more like a career change. Don't really know what the pay is yet, but I need to know what to ask for when and if that time comes.

Thanx for the info in advance.

P.S. Please cross your fingers that I don't blow this interview. I am really sick of my job and the company itself. I really like Dallas, but I can't find anything here jobwise.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Don't know about state income tax.
2. Kennesaw, Buckhead, Marietta
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes. No, it's not
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
This news ought to send Sweep and Tippie into fits of joy!  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This news ought to send Sweep and Tippie into fits of joy!  [rolleyes]
View Quote

That's why I'm not saying the name of the bank or the position I am applying for. They might Sabotage me [:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanx Mike. Normally for these interviews they just fly you in for a day. I am trying to schedule it for after Thanksgiving. If I get the job. Big if, since I don't really have any experience in it except for some tranferrable skills, I will definitely drop you a line. We slay some beers together. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Atlanta is great.

My friend has a Georgia CCW. If he could get one anybody can.

As far as I know Class 3 is cool. But, I have heard AL (A Short Drive Away) doesn't allow SBRs and Sawed-Off Shotguns.

If you are in the right areas, it is great. Avoid Downtown, Little 5 Points, etc. Stone Mountain, Kennesaw, and Marietta are nice.

My dad was born in Smyrna and grew up in Marietta. There is an area where my Great Grandmother grew up that used to be small shacks. It is now a rich subdivision with real nice houses.

Only problem is some areas in georgia have waiting periods (Atlanta, Liberty County (Savannah), etc.) As I understand it with a CCW, there is no Waiting Period or NICS check.

Best thing about Atlanta, especially Marietta is Gas is cheaper than water. Though, this doesn't say much for the price of water. Avoid the Tap water in Downtown Atlanta. I understand the water in the Suburbs is fine. Gas is cheap, Soda is expensive. I pay 89 cents for Pepsi here. Coke in Atlanta is reasonably priced, but Pepsi demands a premium. Then again, Atlanta is the home of the World of Coke. Visit it sometime. they have Coke from all over the world and all kinds of variations.

Traffic can be bad, though. During off hours, when there is no construction you can get around just fine. Also, your Car Insurance rates will go up because Atlanta drivers aren't very good drivers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
1) Yes, State income tax.
2) "Virginia Highlands" Great place to live, but beware, most cool places in ATL are expensive.
3) Yes.
4) Shall issue.  Thumb print on card.  Cannot carry in any place that "sells alcohol to be consumed on premises."
5) You have to buy a sticker for your "tag" (what we call license plates in GA) every year, and it costs a couple of hundred bucks in "ad valorem" tax.  Based on what they think your car is worth.  Depending on where you live in GA you may have to have an emission inspection sticker (yearly test, nominal fee).  

You didn't ask, but I know you care, so ... ATL has world class strip clubs.  Cheetah III if you read Penthouse.  Tattletales if you like to talk to the girls in between dances.  Pink Pony if you want to sit in a neon strip club on a Sunday afternoon and get the lunchtime porterhouse steak special.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://gnsun1.ganet.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/pub/ocode/ocgsearch?docname=OCode/G/16/11/128[/url]
keep hitting forward and back, most of the firearm satutes are all clustered together.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#9]
LT, if you move there let me know because I visit the Atlanta area semi-frequently. Then again that will depend on where I move after May 2002. Generally, I was considering MS, TX, TN, KY, IN, GA, VT, NH, etc. I have family in Atlanta and Ft. Lauderdale, so I try to stay within easy travel of those areas.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Traffic SUCKS!
North Burbs are nice but expensive
I live in Woodstock and work in Kennesaw so my drive is not bad. but if  your job will be "Downtown" plan on a 1+ hour drive if you want to live in the yuppie areas
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
My sister has just received a job from Accenture Consulting formerly Anderson consulting.  She went to Atlanta to find a good place to live and she is going to buy a condo in Buckhead.  They said the Cheesecake Factory in Atlanta was GREAT.  I don't know, but I guess I will have to take her word for it! [:)]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]
LT,
My company sent me to Atlanta on a special project for 6 months.  I actually lived north of Atlanta in the Alpharetta, Roswell area.  This area is a yuppieville paradise.  I don't know about the state tax's are gun laws.  Overall I was pleasantly suprised with the area, cheap gas, great strip clubs, good golf courses and all the major pro sports.  The biggest negative was the traffic.  Commuting from the burbs during rush hour can be a pain.

Good luck, William
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
1) Yes, State income tax.
2) "Virginia Highlands" Great place to live, but beware, most cool places in ATL are expensive.
3) Yes.
4) Shall issue.  Thumb print on card.  Cannot carry in any place that "sells alcohol to be consumed on premises."
5) You have to buy a sticker for your "tag" (what we call license plates in GA) every year, and it costs a couple of hundred bucks in "ad valorem" tax.  Based on what they think your car is worth.  Depending on where you live in GA you may have to have an emission inspection sticker (yearly test, nominal fee).  

You didn't ask, but I know you care, so ... ATL has world class strip clubs.  Cheetah III if you read Penthouse.  Tattletales if you like to talk to the girls in between dances.  Pink Pony if you want to sit in a neon strip club on a Sunday afternoon and get the lunchtime porterhouse steak special.  
View Quote

Thanx. State income tax kinda sux. Registration kinda sounds like CA. IN CA they base your registration on the Bluebook price of you car. If I remember correctly is 2% of Bluebook value. Is Virginia Highlands a section of Atlanta or a suburb? Thanks for the scoop on nudie bars. You know me so well LOL
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#14]
condo in buckhead? is she nutz??? a condo in buckhead will run you 250k plus. 45 minute commute you can get 10 acres and 2100sqft home for 200k personally i have found the north side is where most tech/professional jobs are located. and georgia's gun laws are great. i come from MD so moving to a "shall issue" state was a pleasant change
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Simply stay north of Interstate 20 and you will be fine.  The southwest part of the Atlanta area is hardcore.  Being caught in this area after dark is dangerous.

The traffic is awful. And summer is rough with heat and VERY high humidity.

Overall, the state of Georgia is very firearms friendly.  The state legislature killed the firearms lawsuit Atlanta was trying to do.

You can drive 10 mph over the speed limit everywhere except school zones and the city and county cops have to leave you alone with their radar.  State cops can nail you for 1 mph over, but rarely do.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 4:51:33 AM EDT
[#16]
There are a lot of streets named "Peachtree"..
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#17]
the atlanta area is ok. i keep moving farther out to avoid the traffic, crowding, crime, pollution, etc.
income tax? yes.
ccw? yes.
legal full auto? yes
emissions tests? depends on how close to atlanta.

i think it's too crowded already, so i SHOULD try to discourage you. it's really not a bad area to live in, especially if you dont mind the occasional provincial redneck. pickup trucks and confederate battle flags abound, but the vast majority of people are friendly.

a warning: atlantans cant drive worth a darn in snow, fog, rain or bright sunlight. good luck with the interview!
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]
You will want to consider locating near the South River Gun Club in Covington. (Hey you have to keep priorties straight.)
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:21:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I live in Duluth, North of Atlanta, and yes, a yuppy(ish) burb. North Fulton County seems to be where they are all moving. The houses tend to be a little more expensive in North Fulton, you may also want to consider Gwinnett County, although I don't know where the better neighborhoods are there.

Yes, State tax, but it's not too terrbile.

Yes

Yes, have applied for mine, but it takes a while to get.

I thought the smog check was once every two years, and it's really only the places around Atlanta that have to get them. As far as I know, the rest of GA doesn't have to get them. I think it's $25. Not nearly as bad as Kali.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Virginia Higlands is near Emory University.  It is a strip of bars, resteraunts, etc.  surrounded by houses and apt complexes.  Right off a main drag that goes straight into the city.  Lots of live music, good food, college/post grad girls etc..  a little more layed back than Buckhead.  

You may find the following of some interest.  

[url]http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com[/url]

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Roughly where is this job located?  If it's not on the far north side, I'd recommend looking in the southern suburbs (OUTSIDE 285).  The southern part of Atlanta sucks, but if you keep going south, it's gets good again.  I live near Newnan, and I love it.  Not very crowded, and it's a straight shot into Atlanta on I-85.  Cost of living is very reasonable.  Buckhead, Kennesaw are great places, but the traffic SUCKS.  Commute into Atlanta is like an hour and a half sometimes.  The southern side of 85 has the fewest accidents and slowdowns, at least as far as the morning traffic reports say.  A friend of mine used to work at CNN.  His morning commute was speed limit or better the whole way, and it only took him about 40 minutes.

Look into the Newnan, Senoia, Peachtree City,  area.  If you're really looking for yuppie, definately Peachtree City or eastern Coweta County subdivisions.

Yes, GA allows Class3, but I don't personally know anyone who has anything.  I know there are stores in Atlanta that do Class3, though.  You can pretty much have anything here you want, as long as the Federal Govt doesn't ban it.  In fact, if you have a rifle that does a 3-shot burst, it's technically not a machine gun in GA law.  [:)]  'Course, the Feds see it different...  [:\]

CCW is shall-issue.  Unless you're a felon, you can get it quite easily.  Just fill out some paperwork, give fingerprints, and wait a month for the FBI check to go through.  It's like $39 + $5 for the prints for a five year license, IIRC.  They'll give you a list of places you can't carry.  (Sporting events, bars, political rallys, etc.)

There is a state income tax, but I have no idea how much it is.  I guess I cough up about 30% of my paycheck for all taxes.  Dunno.

There's a yearly emissions check that costs something like 15 dollars.  Used to be every other year, but they changed it.  Don't know about CA.  My car passes easily, but it's only 4 years old.

"What's that? You only allow 250 ppm of whatever noxious chemical that is?  My car puts out 1.2 ppm.  Is that OK?  [:)]

I think they're just trying to weed out the smog machines that haven't had a tune up since the bicentennial.

Tag ad velorum taxes are kinda on the high side, but not unreasonable as long as you don't drive a Porsche.

Hope all that helps.  Hope I wasn't longwinded.

I LOVE IT HERE!!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#22]
We have state income tax, but it's not a whole lot.

Where to live?  I love decatur.  It's on the east side, inside the perimiter.  Oh, and it's home to a fairly large all-girl school, Agnes Scott College. [;)]

Yes you can do class 3 here.

Yes on a CCW, in fact it's a shall-issue state. (They have to give you one unless they can find a solid reason not to.)

Car registration sucks.  The emissions inspection isn't bad, but my tag is going to cost me something like $275 this year on a 1997 Grand Cherokee.

All in all, I think it's a great place to live.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#23]
They DO call it "Hotlanta" for a reason.

But then, if you have survived Texas......

[:D]

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Buckhead, Kennesaw are great places, but the traffic SUCKS.  Commute into Atlanta is like an hour and a half sometimes.  
View Quote

I visit the Buckhead area now and then. Very nice, I hope to live there someday... and work close to home[:D]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#25]
LT, depending on where you will be going to work, the best deals on a house are northwest Atlanta. Canton, Woodstock(in some areas) are real good areas to get a house in. Let me know if I can help you out.

[beer]

Also no city income tax, State and Federal only.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Simply stay north of Interstate 20 and you will be fine.  The southwest part of the Atlanta area is hardcore.  Being caught in this area after dark is dangerous.
View Quote

No, shit. I have a friend who lives in Atlanta South of I-20. He is ususlly ok since everybody knows him. But, when my Dad visited him once, he (my dad) got a knife stuck in his face and repeatedly called whitey. Thank god, he came out of that OK. Driving is fine, just don't walk the streets. My friend has a Georgia CCW and carries a .45 Pistol on his side 24/7.

One nice thing is, I get to see his house every so often on Cops. I'm not joking. A few weeks before I visited, I saw a Police Chase go right by his house on Cops. Before that, the busted the Drug house across the street.

1) Avoid Walking The Streets Of Atlanta At Night.
2) Get a CCW
3) Walking The Streets During The Day Is Usually OK, As long as you don't use any back roads. Also, you might want to be in a group.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#27]
LT, you will love the area. I have lived here since I came to go to college (Ga Tech, of course) in 1981. Definitely a party town, but I live in the far north suburbs (Im a family man now and don't go trolling for bush anymore, but you can do well here). Email me off line if you have any specific questions about any areas, or anything in general. I can also take you to check out River Bend Gun Club if and when you want to check it out. The area has it all, but the traffic can be a pure bitch if you don't get located right.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Lived in GA my whole life.  Raised in Atlanta and have lived in Athens for the last 12 (1 hour away).  You will fit WAAY in here with guns.  The ordeal with oneshot to me is so otherworldly because all the times I've been stopped at seatbelt checks, I've ended up gabbing with the troopers after presenting my CCP/CCW.  Two weeks ago, I was leaving the gun show at the Atlanta Farmer's Market with my M4gery(I walk around with it in case someone makes an offer I can't refuse) when 4 atlanta cops standing around gabbing called me over "damn I wish I could have one of those on duty!".  "Promise me you'll go have fun today" was their final comment!  There are alot of ClassIII people.  The Firing Lane in Athens has anything you want for rent or sale even advertizes machine gun rentals in U of GA's student newspaper.  Lawerenceville/Duluth/Suwanee is a very sprawling soccermom area with big new malls, Bassproshop super dealie, close enough to Atlanta, close enough to mountains, to hunting and shooting areas, etc.  Property values are moderate but rising very fast. You CAN find housing at around 1200 sq.ft. for $120,000 or $2000sq.ft. for around $170,000 for new houses in new neighborhoods.  Move a little further out or bargainhunt, and you can get much cheaper.  You move to GA and you will make lots of friends.  Even our democrat senator Zell Miller is pretty much on out side.  In some places, sporting clays in like golf in popularity.  Email me an address and I'll shoot you some housing/apartment guides.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#29]
traffic...................................................sucks!
between georgia mtn,eastman and carolina traders there is close to 1 gunshow every weekend within a two hour drive.
knob creek is only 6 hours,damn helicopters chased me all the way there.
lots of georgia peaches,two legged variety.
lots of shooting ranges,pay and free.
gas is cheap,79 cents with my kroger plus card.
boxer
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#30]
LT, I have lived in Dallas and Atlanta. Atlanta is great. Pretty girls that are not fake like big D (I'm talking about personalities...can't say much about body parts though) and genuine, nice people. Follow everyone's advice and you'll be cool. Stay to the northern burbs, live close to work, and get used to the friendly folks. I live in Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County...VERY gun friendly area. If you get that job let me know...I can get more specific on where and where NOT to live.

Roy D.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanx for the info guys. Maybe I am counting my chickens before they hatch here, but it can never hurt to be prepared.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#32]
WHAT THE HELL! Did I miss it or did NO ONE mention KRISPY KREME? Now, I've only been to Atlanta once. My wife went to a conference there 2 or 3 years ago when her youngest sister lived there. The sister's husband taught at Emory and they lived not far from there. It was an old section of town close to a golf course. The area seemed nice. There's a BIG rock some kid from TEXAS musta launched with a slingshot over by Atlanta. Someone carved a pretty cool picture of some Southern Gentlemen on horses, on it. Now all kinds of people are clambering all over it, go figure?!  Yeah, that Coca Cola place was neat to look at...from the outside, never went in. We went over to that underground shopping place though. They've got a real cool "Center For The Puppetry Arts" which I took my daughter to, that was nice! We went to some area of town where they had a bunch of foreign restuarants, yummy. But the BEST THING OF ALL...had to be...without a doubt...
KRISPY KREME DONUTS! They really do melt in your mouth... and on your hands, in your beard...etc.
Funny thing, I never thought I'd like Eastern TEXAS that much, just goes to show ya!
LOL
WSmac (I used to live in TEXAS, can you tell?)
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 5:22:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Mmmmm....doughnuts.....

The only KK's I'd had were the boxed ones you always see people selling for fundraising.  They're good, but not spectacular.

That changed a couple of years ago when I had the good fortune of being with a few friends one night after a concert.  We drove by the KK near Georgia Tech and lo and behold, the light was on.  I had never been there with the light on before.  (Light on means fresh doughnuts right out of the oven)

OH MY GOD!!!  It's like cotton candy.  I must have eaten 10 of them.  I almost got sick, but damn was it worth it!! [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#34]
The best thing about Atlanta in my opinion is getting greasy food from The Varsity after a long, drunken night seeing a band at the Tabernacle.  THE VARSITY ROCKS!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Lordtrader--

All I know about Atlanta is that there are a lot of large-breasted blonde chicks there who dig Phillipino guys with guns.  Minneapolis might be a good choice if you like large-breasted blonde left-wingers.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Well I just got another call from the HR lady. Seems the guy I need to interview with took an early extended vaca(or decided not to interview till he get back from vaca)and will not be back till Dec.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#37]
1.Yes
2.I recommend further out somewhere like Barrow County (no smog check)
3.Yes
4.If you establish residence, have a GA DL and pass a background check, you are okay for a "firearms license" which means open or concealed, but either only with the license.
5.There is car registration.  The smog check depends on which county you live in (see 2).  Not nearly as bad as Kali.  Don't know the price.

Hell, I would show you around Atlanta (lived there for 29 years before being forced to move to the beach at Tybee Island) but I am stuck in the Caribbean until about Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The best thing about Atlanta in my opinion is getting greasy food from The Varsity after a long, drunken night seeing a band at the Tabernacle.  THE VARSITY ROCKS!!!
View Quote
You got that right!!  It will definitely clean you out.  Love their chili dogs and french fries.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#39]
lordtrader...........Georgia is a very gun friendly State.  The only Class III requirement in Georgia is that you meet whatever the requirements are under Federal law.  There are a LOT of Class III owners here.  State Income Tax is not bad here although it does exist.  (I didn't think you could be both a gunowner and a yuppy?)  
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
lordtrader...........(I didn't think you could be both a gunowner and a yuppy?)  
View Quote

Well I pretty much break the mold in all aspects of life.

Republican yet I am a minority descent American. Which stastics would say I should be a Democrat.

Roman Catholic that went to Catholic school half of his school life, yet I love porn.

I am a Virgo. By my star sign I am suppose to be composed, analytical, organized, and introverted. Instead I am impulsive, extroverted, excitable.

My family likes staying in one place, I love to travel and see new places. I don't mind being in unfamiliar surroundings.

Guess I am just offbeat in general
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#41]
If you move to Atlanta, make sure your car will cruise at 90mph or better, or you'll get run over on I-285, and that ain't no sh*t!
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you move to Atlanta, make sure your car will cruise at 90mph or better, or you'll get run over on I-285, and that ain't no sh*t!
View Quote

No problem, gots me a Camaro 310HP
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Can't remember who said this but condos in Buckhead do NOT all cost 250K. I paid 63K for mine 17 years ago. It now appraises at 115K. 3 beds, 2 1/2 baths, 2 car garage. Two neighbors have theirs on the market and are asking middle 120's.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#44]
traffic sucks, people drive very FAST (20 over is the norm).  
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#45]
You are allowed to drive as fast as you want as long as you occasionally yell "How 'bout them dawgs?" out the window.
It's the law.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#46]
If you like guns and good looking women you will like Georgia. Do not move inside the city limits! The Atlanta property taxes will break your heart. A couple I know had their taxes go up $7,000.00 in one year. Yes you read that right. My sister in law is in real estate so I am sure she could help you with info on where to look in your price range. I have lived in Atlanta my entire life so I can answer a lot of your questions. Shoot me an email if I can help you or answer any questions.
ARH
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#47]
ARH is right about the taxes! Stay outside the city limits if high poperty taxes drive you nuts. If I had it to do over again I would not buy inside the city limits.
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#48]
$10 table dances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top