Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/12/2001 2:28:09 PM EDT
I have seeing a woman who is on this stuff, and I did not know her before she was on it...

She is very intellectual, but has no sense of humor and an overall bland personality.  I am wondering if she has always been like this, or if the PAXIL has done it.  She claims to have General Anxiety Disorder, but I just think she simply wanted to be less high strung, and told the doctor what he/she wanted to hear to get medication.  She claims that it is the greatest stuff on Earth, but as the person taking it, is probably unaware of any deep personality changes.

Do you have any before and after experience with women on PAXIL?  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Before, woman I knew well for 10 years.
After, ex-wife.

Your mileage may vary, but I reserve all rights to a hearty "told ya so". [:)]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Some people need this sort of treatment; many others however, do not and abuse it - just like any other drug.

She may be really worth staying with - you never know...[:\]

Tyler
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I deal with tons of screwed up kids and women at work. Most of them are on Paxil, Ritalin, Prozac, or other physc meds.

I wonder where these kids were before the widespread use of these drugs? I tend to think Rx meds are replaceing parenting & self control. People want to easy solution in a bottle, reguardless of the side effects.

FWIW; Exercise is as effective an antidepressant as many Rx meds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only thing that concerns me about this is the way she describes the medicine as being the greatest stuff on earth. That almost sounds like something an addicted person might say. Do you think she is hooked on the pills? I am not a doctor and some pills are supposed to be non addictive, so maybee it is no big deal. As far as anxiety goes, I have a good friend who has this type of problem. The medication is not paxil, but it does the same thing. I knew him for over 20 years, so I can say from experience that before the meds, he became weird, for example he would not like to meet people or go to the bar for a drink anymore, and the meds helped him become his old self again. So I would have to say that it is not a personality killer, based on my limited experience. Unless it's being abused or improperly taken, it should help her be more herself.
View Quote

I know someone that has gone through a terrible bout with anxiety as well. Paxil worked wonders for him. But I have heard that when you are ready to stop taking it, it can be difficult to quit. He said stopping cold turkey can really make you feel crummy. You have to ween yourself off of it by gradually lessening the dosage.    
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Some people do have personality changes and its for the better.  The sexual side effects are of the most spoken about.  Some people do need them and others dont a lot of people use SSRIs as crutches.  But I have also seen people do remarkably well on them.  Doctors prescribe them because they are relatively benign compared to the older MAOIs, etc. I personally have prescibed them very sparingly.  But tell a henpecked PMSed husband that they don't work and he might give you a second opinion.  Most people on these SSRI are not unstable, they maybe having some adjustment or emotional problems, but mostly they re like you and me.   When you run into an unstable individual its not too hard to identify them if you are trained to recognize them.  Drift, ask her what she was like before she took the pills, ask her what she likes about them.  Only she can judge if her life is better with them.

But there are definite studies that show brain chemistry changes in depressed indivduals. The bug argument is did the depression cause the changes or did the changes cause the depression.

Depression in under diagnosed. A lot of people who chain smoke, drink, take drugs have some element of depression.  They take the substances to make themselves feel better and to cope.

Its better them swallowing the wrong end of a .223. Not to mention it would be messy!
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Well said, ARDOC!

Tyler
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The following is my opinion only, based on personal experience (learned the hard way)
WOMEN TO AVOID ARE THOSE THAT:

Are on psychotropic medication. (Anti-Depressants, anti-anxiety, anti- psychotics, tranquilizers, anti-impulsive/compulsives Meds, anti ADDS meds

Women in long time therapy.
Women who jump from religion to religion,Trying to find THE TRUTH.

Drunks
Dopers
Chronically unemployed
Divorced and HATE..DESPISE their EX.
Impulsive.
In Debt
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I tend to agree that SSRI's like Prozac, Paxil and Zolft are all over prescribed.  Psyhco-cosmetology, people are convinced they have some kind of disorder, something's wrong with them.  So what do you?  Go get a little pill that fixes you!  Makes you more social, more competitive, more fun, whatever.  More often than not, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.  For the people who [i]need[/i] SSRI's they work wonders.  Part of the problem is that psyhcologists/psychiatrists, have made up a plethora of illnesses to make money from, and let people blame something intangible, instead of some[i]thing[/i].  As for the tardive effects of SSRI's I have seen no studies of adverse effects, same with withdrawl symptoms.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Amen to Rayvet.........

My ex-wife was not a drunk or a doper but everything else Rayvet said she had an issue with.

To make matters worse, she was on Paxil.

Love the stuff......
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]

When my wife was in here early twenties (before she got together) she started getting really bitchy, touchy and anxious. It went on for about two years before her dad (a doctor) had her go see someone. She didn't have any real negative issues in her life (good friends, good grades, graduate school etc.) except the fact that she was impossible to live with. Her doctor prescribed a very small dose of Paxil, and it was like night and day. She was back to her old self, and she felt 100% better.

The one problem is that she gets really emotional when she doesn't take it. There have been reports of this as being a big side-effect. If you know someone on Paxil make sure they take it, or have them ween themselves off it gradually.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#16]
When someone is depressed they should try the natural remedy.

It's called "dealing with it".
I've been wounded in combat.
I've been through a nasty divorce.
I grew up in a highly disfunctional family.
I was in a car wreck resulting in the death of one of my closest friends.
and I never needed a happy pill to deal with real life.
Paxil and other "magic" medicines are a replacement for emotions that build character and sculpt our personality.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've been wounded in combat.
I've been through a nasty divorce.
I grew up in a highly disfunctional family.
I was in a car wreck resulting in the death of one of my closest friends.
and I never needed a happy pill to deal with real life.
Paxil and other "magic" medicines are a replacement for emotions that build character and sculpt our personality.
View Quote

You are a moron.
Paxil is for people that have a anxiety disorder. They get emotionally upset WITHOUT any discernable cause. Its a brain chemical inbalance.

It is NOT for people like you who HAVE had trauma, THAT is where you get into trouble. With a trauma victim you do have to get them to face it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The thing about alot of this is that there are indeed those who need to just suck it up and learn how to deal.  There are others who have true chemical imbalances that require medication.  Most who take these kinds of meds fall somewhere in between.  

Mostly it is a matter of chemical levels in the brain.  These chemical levels can fluctuate somewhat.  Hence a 'bout with depression' or a 'bout with anxiety'.  Take a 100% mentally healthy individual and throw him in a dungeon for a month and I guarantee his serotonin levels will be different than they were before.

There are many ways to deal with a situation like this.  Meditation, excercise, prayer, therapy and meds.  A combination of several may be best.  This all depends on the individual.  Generally, people that take these kinds of medications are for the most part 'normal' if there is such a thing.  They are just going through a tough time and may require some help to get through it.  There are exceptions to this, just like anything else.

It goes without saying though, that some people use these meds as crutches and will not take responsibility for their problems.  They want a quick fix from a pill.  Relying on meds alone usually doesn't solve the problem long-term.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]
A person who survived a car crash where others were killed or where they were severly injured, and then develop a fear of cars, or even of leaving their house, have trauma and need therapy.

But someone who becomes afraid of leaving their home because of watching terror attacks on television, and I mean so afraid that they become hysterical and loose all emotional control if you try to remove them.  There is obviously no trauma- this is a internal problem and they DO need medicine and very well may need it for life...

Now these are two extreme situations, most people fall well in between. But you get the drift. I hope.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone said that to me about my best friend and his depression.  Then I told them he was dead.  Some people can't just "deal with it", and anyone who says otherwise as a blanket statement about everyone who suffers from depression in any way, shape or form is just ignorant.  Sure, some people can deal with it, and need to, but there are some that suffer from a physiological disorder, and need medications.

There's a difference in suffering from a trauma, and dealing with it, and having a chemical imbalance.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Beer Slayer

That is easy enough determined by simply interviewing the patient and their immediate family.

Some doctors are, however, just pill pushers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm sure there are a lot of people that take these medications for the wrong reasons. Sure, they just need to "deal with life".

But what do you say about a guy who his whole life (30 years) has been perfectly healthy and never afraid of anything and in a matter of a few days is shaking, quit eating, quit sleeping, cannot face anyone including family and will not leave his house. He was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, insomnia and anorexia. The cause was a chemical inbalance. What caused this inbalance, nobody knows. But, it happens. I've known this guy for 15 years. What is sad is that when he would talk to me about what was happening to him, he would be crying because he has always been so tough and now felt like a crazy man and even he couldn't explain why.    
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm sure there are a lot of people that take these medications for the wrong reasons. Sure, they just need to "deal with life".

But what do you say about a guy who his whole life (30 years) has been perfectly healthy and never afraid of anything and in a matter of a few days is shaking, quit eating, quit sleeping, cannot face anyone including family and will not leave his house. He was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, insomnia and anorexia. The cause was a chemical inbalance. What caused this inbalance, nobody knows. But, it happens. I've known this guy for 15 years. What is sad is that when he would talk to me about what was happening to him, he would be crying because he has always been so tough and now felt like a crazy man and even he couldn't explain why.    
View Quote

I understand that all too well.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Overall, your collective comments seem say that PAXIL has/is helpful if a condition exists.

We are pretty much done anyway, but some things have fallen into place that make me think that the drugs are having a negative impact on her.  I have had zero experience with this type of thing before her, so I had to ask.

She has these traits:
- Seems too focused (one track mind-can't seem to think about more than one thing at a time)
- Abrubt transitions (Zero seguays(sp) in actions or conversations)
- no sense of humor (not a bad one, just seems not to find things funny)  That is seriously irritating!!!
- Seems to do things for the sake of doing things and assign them a rating of "fun".  I know that sounds weird, but sometimes it seems that I attended a different event.  Say we went mountain biking.  We'd get attacked by mosquitos and bees, have mechanical problems, and it would start raining.  The day would be miserable, but she'd say "That was fun!" and be serious when I could see that she wasn't having fun at the time.  It seems as if she can't admit to herself that something sucked.  It's not some type of personal failure if it sucked, come on!

I thought I'd ask the group as I though that some of these issues may be the drug.  I am aware that Ritalin can sap the spirit of a kid, and I was wondering if PAXIL can do it to an adult.

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Overall, your collective comments seem say that PAXIL has/is helpful if a condition exists.

We are pretty much done anyway, but some things have fallen into place that make me think that the drugs are having a negative impact on her.  I have had zero experience with this type of thing before her, so I had to ask.

She has these traits:
- Seems too focused (one track mind-can't seem to think about more than one thing at a time)
- no sense of humor (not a bad one, just seems not to find things funny)  That is seriously irritating!!!
- Seems to do things for the sake of doing things and assign them a rating of "fun".  I know that sounds weird, but sometimes it seems that I attended a different event.  Say we went mountain biking.  We'd get attacked by mosquitos and bees, have mechanical problems, and it would start raining.  The day would be miserable, but she'd say "That was fun!" and be serious when I could see that she wasn't having fun at the time.  It seems as if she can't admit to herself that something sucked.  It's not some type of personal failure if it sucked, come on!

I thought I'd ask the group as I though that some of these issues may be the drug.  I am aware that Ritalin can sap the spirit of a kid, and I was wondering if PAXIL can do it to an adult.

View Quote

The short answer is yes- if she wasnt REALLY sick to begin with SSRI's will have that effect. If she was using drugs to try and deal with a lifestyle problem.

When Ritalin turns a kid into a Zombie there was nothing wrong with the kid, it is usually the parents that are the problem.  They are trying to maintian a lifestyle that is incompatible with child raising.  Instead of giving it up they try and force fit the child with drugs, severe disipline, ect.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I've known two people who have been on it; my wife and a good friend I worked with for several years.

My wife had anxiety problems going through menopause. Paxil helped, but it practically made her a zombie. Fortunately, there are other medicines that have less severe side-effects.

My friend was and alchoholic, and Paxil became just a buzz intensifier. He didn't really get straightened out until completing 6 weeks in a rehab clinic.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#30]
If the drugs were only prescribed to the very few that really need them, then the drug firms would never recoup their developmental cost. So they invent new diseases to push more pills. I like the new "social anxiety disorder" commercials, it's what we used to call being "shy". Now it's a desease and we have a bunch of pills that can cure it.

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If the drugs were only prescribed to the very few that really need them, then the drug firms would never recoup their developmental cost. So they invent new diseases to push more pills. I like the new "social anxiety disorder" commercials, it's what we used to call being "shy". Now it's a desease and we have a bunch of pills that can cure it.

View Quote

Are you deliberatly trying to be insulting or are you just that ignorant and crude.

Oh, wait, you were one of the guys that was going to give himself heavy metal poisoning taking Collodial Silver to "prevent antrhax", weren't you?  Because "doctors and pharmacutical companies are just after my money".

No, just checked, you werent one of that bunch, but boy you sound like it...
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Drift, actually you are contradicting yourself about her traits in the first two points. If she is focused on one issue, she wouldn't have so many abrupt transitions. In fact the opposite would be true. If she was focued on one thing, she would find a way to go back to that subject, not change the subject.  Her mind is wandering and thinking of many things at once. She is coping outwardly by trying to focus on one thing.  Her mind is in chaos and she is doing her best to keep a foot in reality. The way she rates or orders your outtings for example is an attempt to keep order. Her perceptions of bad being good falls in line with this example.

She is a little girl alone in the woods. She has very little control of what is going on in her life. She is trying to make adjustments to stay safe.

I think a change in her Paxil is in order.  From what I read, she may do a lot better on Wellbutrin.  Although its an older anti-depressant. It has Dopamine and Norepi activity. It may perk her up a little and provide a little. Its interesting you asked about Ritalin.  She sounds like she has an adult form of ADHD.  Wellbutrin will help quite a bit if that is true.  With long term counseling she may do well.

Your decision is whether to stay.  Its going to be tough on you and you might do better to move on. Not to mention a lot of these disorders are genetic. Depression, ADHD, Schizophrenia etc run in families.

Good luck!  And may a large breasted woman fall into your lap!
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are you deliberatly trying to be insulting or are you just that ignorant and crude.

Oh, wait, you were one of the guys that was going to give himself heavy metal poisoning taking Collodial Silver to "prevent antrhax", weren't you?  Because "doctors and pharmacutical companies are just after my money".
View Quote

Are you deliberately trying to be a horse's ass?

We all know that about 10% of the people who are prescribed these happy pills really need them.
I know one woman who got a prescription for paxil because her kids mouthed off to her too much.Does it sound like she needed it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Everyone wants a quick fix these days.  A lot of patients come in with interent printouts demanding meds. No question there is a money factor as well.

The funniest thing I have heard is giving SSRIs to dogs to make them quit barking. It actually works! The question is why the same drug, which came off the same assembly line, cost 10x more for people then for the dogs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you deliberately trying to be a horse's ass?

We all know that about 10% of the people who are prescribed these happy pills really need them.
I know one woman who got a prescription for paxil because her kids mouthed off to her too much.Does it sound like she needed it?
View Quote

Do you read the posts in this thread before you post?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

We are pretty much done anyway, but some things have fallen into place that make me think that the drugs are having a negative impact on her. I have had zero experience with this type of thing before her, so I had to ask.

She has these traits:
- no sense of humor (not a bad one, just seems not to find things funny) That is seriously irritating!!!
- Seems to do things for the sake of doing things and assign them a rating of "fun". I know that sounds weird, but sometimes it seems that I attended a different event. Say we went mountain biking. We'd get attacked by mosquitos and bees, have mechanical problems, and it would start raining. The day would be miserable, but she'd say "That was fun!" and be serious when I could see that she wasn't having fun at the time. It seems as if she can't admit to herself that something sucked. It's not some type of personal failure if it sucked, come on!

I thought I'd ask the group as I though that some of these issues may be the drug. I am aware that Ritalin can sap the spirit of a kid, and I was wondering if PAXIL can do it to an adult.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short answer is yes- if she wasnt REALLY sick to begin with SSRI's will have that effect. If she was using drugs to try and deal with a lifestyle problem.

When Ritalin turns a kid into a Zombie there was nothing wrong with the kid, it is usually the parents that are the problem. They are trying to maintian a lifestyle that is incompatible with child raising. Instead of giving it up they try and force fit the child with drugs, severe disipline, ect.
View Quote

Now, where would your case fit pottsy?

BTW, Why are you answering for AR15fan? You one of those people who thinks its cute to have two on line identities??

Blaming SSRI's for their abuse by people is like blaming a gun for a homocide.  Surely you understand the fallicy of such logic.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I have been shadowing many of these forums for sometime, but this one caught my eye.  I won't quote anyone because you know who you are.  Eveyone seems to know whats best for others and EXACTLY how OTHER people are feeling and experienceing life.  I happen to be a redneck tough guy and I will tell you that I have heard all this stuff before from people who have no direct experience or who are just "suck it up" people.  Which I was pretty much prior to marrying my beautiful wife.  Then I left that selfish pitiful me, me, me life behind and realized that life is about sacrifice.  I can't wait to read the responses to this.  Paxil is probably over prescribed and over used.  It is most certainly chemical derived to promote addiction, DUHH!  BUT...that does not change the fact that it works for those individuals, like my wife, with depresion and others.  If you love someone, really, does it change things that s/he is on a medication, like myself on high blood pressure meds?  If it does then rethink your love maybe it is just lust, and not love at all.  The shallow and condesending tone of some of the remarks of this page in general is amazing to me.  Some of you obviously have it all worked out and the rest of us are all screwed up HUH?  This page is like a micrcosim of the conservative world with all its ebbs and flows.  Wow I hope someday I can have all the answers and educate the underlings of the world.  Never have I written like this, but where in the world is the compassion in this society?  Bring it on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I know this guy who claims that he has ADD and as a result put ALL 3 of his kids on adderall. One of the kids is absolutely out of control even while on the stuff and I sure would hate to see what he is like when the drug wears off.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Doc, I can see how you thought that, but that isn't what I was trying to say.  She doesn't shift topics in mid stream.  What I meant was that when she concludes a topic, she shifts focus completely and persues the second topic with great zest.  If you wanted to comment on/continue with the prior topic, you totally get the feeling that she no longer wants to discuss that.  Remember I'm not talking about painful or emotional topics here, just everyday, but sometimes important stuff. It seems very unnatural.  Almost chemically driven....  

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Well here is a poster who has been on Paxil, along with Zoloft, Porzac, and am presently on Effexor ER. And guess what! I own the evil weapons of the world.
Now I don't believe in flaming anyone. I won't call those who don't know what they are talking about "Morons". I prefer the term ignorant. Because that is what you really are. You are ignorant of the workings of the brain. The brain is an enormous "chem lab", matter of fact it is so complex that scientist still don't knew what makes a lot of it tick. I won't bore you all with the many theories on the causes of the maladies of the brain. I can only speak from my own experiences.
When I was young I did tuff it out. The sleepless night, cold sweats, wishing you were dead so you could end the feeling. Yeah that was a real great way to live. As I got older the episodes got worse because I was tuffing it out. (Hey it wasn't macho to admit a mental illness) Finally, I went and got professional treatment. Well unfortunately I'm a tuff customer. After 7 years they still haven't found the right combination of meds, but I do allot better then without meds. There are side effects the biggest one is lack of sex drive but heck I don't have anyone to write too so I don't need any lead in my pencil. See I do have a sense of humor. Another side effect is that I don't have to hide my head in the sand. My eyes are wide open and I see how lousy the world really is, no rosy colored glasses here but you can now deal with it.
So to all of you that think I'm a wack job and shouldn't have access to arms, try a little education. It is this type of thinking that has kept mental illness in the 16th century.It is that type of thinking that cost me my profession. I just hope you never have to experience the malady. Or maybe I should wish it on you, in a sort of poetic justice way. Hmm what do you think. Oh that's right I'm just a wack job, I guess I better go take my med's.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Paxil seriously messed up my emotions.
I now take Celexa and have no side effects.
These type of meds can effect different people in different ways.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#41]
One bit of advice. Try not to publicize that fact that you take meds. For example when applying for jobs, certifications, licenses, insurance etc. As you can see by some of the more ignorant people on this board, there is still a stigma and prejudice.  Admission of use of any of these drugs can instantly disqualify you.  If you can afford it, I would see a doctor and pay for it out of your own pocket.

Panzerman, has a good point. These meds are like weapons. Some fit some people better than others.  Trial and error is sometimes the only way to find one that works with least amount of side effects.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I am on Paxil.  Not too "crazy" about takeing any type drugs at all but have faith in my DR.  Had some serious problems with Atrial Fibrillation and was on Xanax while I was working.  When I retired my DR. went to Paxil.  I have not had a bad case of "A" fib since my DR. started the meds for the heart condition.. Was a letter carrier in Philadelphia and between the DR. and I we both felt the condition was "stress induced". My wife likes the fact that I do not become "as wired now"  so I will follow my DRs advise for now.  As far as this post:  If you have doubts now?  what about later!  (The voices told me to write this reply)
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Considering the state of the world for the last 20 years, I think that if you are not a bit "angry, stressed out, fearful, and depressed", you are simply not paying attention.
Anyone ever seen the Kubrick movie "THX 1138",
the futuristic society under total control, where *not* taking your "meds" is a criminal act? Only a matter of time, folks. Another reason they want us disarmed, I think.
The perfect way to ensure societal compliance is to drug the sheep into a nice flatline emotional level of "feeling good about themselves". Maybe this is how so many of our freedoms have already been lost. It started with Librium back in the 1950's. How did our forefathers deal with anxiety? They worked harder, and *got the hell over it*. Are we so weak and spoiled that we cannot even bear to "feel bad" about things we *should* feel bad about? Hell, we are even drugging grade school children. Mind control is big business too. Lots of money is being made by the pharmaceutical companies that have folks convinced that happiness can be found in a pill.
Happiness can be artificially simulated by a pill, but is a drug induced nirvana what we really want? The Sixties are OVER!

As for the truly mentally ill.....there is no cure for what you have, and there is a lot of evidence that your illness has a genetic basis, and can be transmitted to future generations.
You will never be "cured", merely "maintained".
Do us all a favor and don't reproduce, you are bad news to the gene pool.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Didn't intend for this to become a flame fest...

Interesting how of all that I have posted in the past, this has been my most popular thread.

Thanks to all, DriftPunch Out! (at least for this thread)
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Sorry it took me so long to get in on this thread, I was over at one of the mental health websites getting advice about which AR-15 I should buy, and whether they thought I should go with the 14.5" M4 barrel with pinned flash suppressor, or the 16" carbine barrel on my new rifle. [:D]

Makes about as much sense as getting advice about Paxil here on this board.

IMO, most healthcare providers use meds responsibly, for real people with real problems.  While it is true that some over-prescribe, more under-prescribe, not using them when they should.

Drugs are tools, wouldn't you want your doctor to use all means available to help solve the problem they see in front of them?  While the research indicates that other methods for treating depression and anxiety are often as effective, or *more effective* than medications alone, some people in certain situations benefit greatly from these meds.

BTW, I love the "mind control" comments- if you've ever tried to actually influence someone to change their mind about *anything* you'll realize how idiotic that sounds.  Only in science-fiction is it possible to use a pill to completely change someone's whole personality or behavior.  Oh, and "doc", if you lie on an insurance application or some other legal document, you're probably going to need an anxiolytic to deal with the problems *that* can cause, including cancellation of your insurance for no other reason.  Imagine that!

Finally, in response to the original question- this girl is who she is *regardless* of the meds she's on, not *because* of them.  And she's not going to become a whole lot different no matter what she does, including therapy, meds, psycho-surgery, or a brain transplant (they do that now, right Hannah?).  Maybe she'll accomodate or adjust to it, but never will she be free of these characteristics.  

Can I go take my insulin now, or is diabetes another one of those drug company conspiracies?

[:)]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
BTW, I love the "mind control" comments- if you've ever tried to actually influence someone to change their mind about *anything* you'll realize how idiotic that sounds.  Only in science-fiction is it possible to use a pill to completely change someone's whole personality or behavior.
View Quote

Right DScott, tell that to the CIA, who did extensive testing with everything from Pentathol to LSD as interrogation tools.
Also, if you are on insulin, your mental processes would hopefully remain clear, as long as you get your dosage right, correct?
The drugs I spoke of clearly change brain chemistry and attitude. Don't you recall the "Prozac defense" murder trial?
People who take mind altering drugs shouldn't own guns. Period.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
People who take mind altering drugs shouldn't own guns. Period.
View Quote

Those of us who take 'mind altering' medications do so to maintain the balance that makes us the people that we are.  

Myself I take Adderall, for ADD.  I am a 30 year old Network Administrator for a small company in Michigan.  I would not be able to do my job without the assistance of my medication.  I would be completely lost in the minutiae of the moment.  

I own several weapons, and I do not consider myself a risk to me or anyone else when it comes to handling my rifles or handguns safely.  The state doesn't consider me a risk for owning weapons.  My friends (all of whom know about my medical condition) don't consider me a risk.  My wife doesn't consider me a risk, and she sleeps in the bed next to me, with my loaded pistol on the nightstand.  She understands the possible effects, because she takes an sri to help her deal with her medical condition.  She's not concerned.

My medication is a short term drug.  it is out of my system long before I go to bed at night.  It doesn't 'build up' in my system.

Do you ever have a glass of wine?  A beer?  Those are mind altering substances.  Should the state take away your guns?

wannabe
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#48]
I am in a quandry over the statement that no one who is on mind-altering drugs should own firearms period.

I suffer from anxiety attacks.  Sometimes they are pretty bad and I really feel shitty for a few days or even weeks.  Mostly I am not too bad, but I don't feel all that great either.  And sometimes I feel really great. It is at those times when I really feel that I should probably feel like that most of the time and only feel shitty once in a while.

I know lots of people who take these kinds of medications.  Most of them do very well on them and tell me that I could feel good most of the time if I would get on some SSRIs.  I wonder and think, "Wouldn't that be great if I could feel pretty good most of the time."  But I don't go to the doctors and get some.  Why not?  Because of statements like Hannah's.  Because of the stigma.

I truly wonder whether I would be more dangerous on them.  Am I dangerous now?  I don't think so.  I think rationally about most things and hold a good job, have a great family.  I also wonder whether I am missing out on a great opportunity to feel pretty good most of the time and whether I am wasting the best years of my life feeling lousy alot of the time when maybe, just maybe I could be helped in a major way.

Who knows.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My wife doesn't consider me a risk, and she sleeps in the bed next to me, with my loaded pistol on the nightstand.  She understands the possible effects, because she takes an sri to help her deal with her medical condition.  
View Quote

Please do not reproduce. With both parents having a mental illness, the children would never have a chance at a normal life.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#50]
AR15Fan - I suppose no one who has Diabetes, or Cancer in their family history, or heart disease or any other illness should reproduce either since they are not 'perfect'.  Sounds a bit like the Nazi Eugenics programs to me.  Maybe you should see if you have any thing in your family history that would preclude you from reproducing and sullying the gene-pool.  My bet is that you do.  Nobody's gene's are perfect.

Your concept of freedom is pretty friggin shallow.  With friends like you on our side, it is no wonder we have such a hard time retaining our freedoms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top