Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2001 11:22:54 AM EDT
Aside from getting paid more, what are the advantages and disadvantages of being an officer (2ndLT) in the military?  

I want to be in the 82nd Airborne, and OCS grads cannot get that assignment except by pure luck of the draw.  Enlisted, on the other hand, can get that written in the contract.  Personally, I'd rather be doing what I want rather than finishing OCS only to be handed an assignment I might not like.  

Any advice?  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#1]
A far as the advantages go, that's up to you.  Training and leading a Platoon, or Company of Marines or Soldiers doesn't suck, IF you're up to it.

Enlist in the Marine reserves.  IF you're in shape, you could get into the Force Recon Unit in Mobile.  Then, while you are in college, do USMC PLC (OCS).
You will then be able to be a grunt, and then later a Recon Marine.

Or take you chances with Army OCS and be a Motor T Officer.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Do a short hitch in the eighty duce and see if you like it. Go balls to the wall and if you got what it takes for the long haul, your commanding officers will be happy to put you up for green to gold. If green to gold is a nogo for whatever reason, you can always ETS and go the ROTC route. If you do not like it, you are out in 2-3 yrs tops. You will be light years ahead of all the other pukes getting their butter bars (2nd Lt.). Either way you, have a lot of good experience under your belt. OCS is a very rigorous route that has limited potential in choosing your branch qualification, let alone getting a slot for a class.
It also depends on if you have a bachelors degree or not. Go talk to a recruiter and some prior-service ROTC pukes at the local university.
Email me if you got questions.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The advantage to being an O1 is that someday you will be an O2. Until then, you will be everyones errand boy.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My dad went up the ranks from private to Lt Col in WWII. He always said that he had more control over things as a Staff Sargeant than at any other rank.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I wondered the same sort of thing. I talked to a friend a few days ago who is an Officer in the USAF. He said go Officer for the pay. But, I know the Army Reserves and National Gaurd have a program where you can join, then take ROTC courses and after 2 Years be commissioned as an Officer in the Reserves/Gaurd or compete for an Army Commission. I wonder if this exists for the Active Duty branches. I.E. Air Force, etc...

I was originally considering going Gaurd after I graduate. I would have prefered Air NG, but there weren't any Communication Air NG Bases anywhere I'd want to be stationed. Most were in PRK. The others were in Tampa, etc... So, after I spoke to this guy I looked up the Air Force and they have plenty of Active Duty Communications Groups in places I'd love to be stationed (Texas, Mississippi, Montana, etc...)

So, I was wondering if there is any program in The Air Force to join and work towards a Commission like in the Reserves. My friend went the regular route: College ROTC --> Commission.

Also, is there any way to ensure you won't be shipped to The People's Republick of Kalifornia, since they have a half dozen Communications Group Air Force Bases.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends on what you want in life.  As a officer you automatically gain the responsibility that an enlisted member has to wait until he has been in sometimes over 10 years.  You will be expected to lead, which in itself sometimes is a burden, BN and Company commanders may accept one thing from his junior enlisted, but not from his officers or senior enlisted.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the quick replies.  

OCS is a very rigorous route that has limited potential in choosing your branch qualification, let alone getting a slot for a class.
It also depends on if you have a bachelors degree or not.
View Quote

I forgot to mention I already have a 4 year degree.  

Officer or enlisted, I was not planning on being in longer than 3 years (which is the minimum for officers or enlisted Airborne).  For that short an amount of time, would it really be worth it to go through the OCS program?  Most officers probably stay in much longer than that.

Or take you chances with Army OCS and be a Motor T Officer.
View Quote

Thats exactly what I'm afraid of.  Are Marine OCS grads given a choice for their preferred assignments?  I'm considering the Marines as well but I'm still researching their different unit types and MOS's.  

Also, what kind of housing can an enlisted man expect compared to a 2ndLt?  I'm not too interested in it but my wife is.  

Thanks again...
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I know quite a bit of the Air force part for you.  My dad was an officer, flew the F4 and I was enlisted Security Police.  If you become an officer in the AF you will most likley never be on the lines.  We had a 1st Lt assigned to our EST (SWAT) team and he thought he should be going in with us to clear rooms.  Our NCOIC quickly informed him that he was a command element and was to cordinate the actions of the team through the chain of command.  If you go AF become a pilot fly Helicopters or something cool don't get stuck runing cargo around the world.  
john
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to sleep any the first couple of years in service go enlisted. As a 2nd LT you will be given so much crap to do and have so many higher ups to please , that will f*ck with you every chance they get because THEY were f*cked with when they were 2nd LTs , that you will have NO life outside your unit. Of course you will have a endless supply of EMs to f*ck with. Really , I suggest you do a couple years as a enlisted man first , the best Officers come from the enlisted ranks. Of course guys from the "Point" will not agree. As a past vet of the 82nd Abn. , do not expect to much "high speed" type stuff , I was not inpressed. But hey , its better that being a "stinkin leg" . Good Luck !!  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Go grunt.

Get the FULL military experience.[BD]

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Marine Officers get their MOS at TBS.  Only pilots in training and lawyers know what they will be prior to MOS assignment at TBS.  A few non-combat arms can be "uniquely qualified" but in general most ground officer come in and get their MOS at TBS.

However a Basic Marine Lt (following TBS and MOS school) is normally a little better trained than his army counterpart just because the Corps is willing to spend more time training them (6 months of infantry Platoon Commander training at TBS and their MOS school).
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Many have made the statement that the best officers were prior enlisted.  Although I am a Mustang, I am not sure I agree with that assessment.  It is true that a former enlisted officer understands the troops a bit better, but I have seen some really good officers that were not prior service and a few mustangs that were jacked up.  I can honestly say the best Marine officer I have ever know was a USNA grad that wasn't a mustang.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top