Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2001 10:22:54 PM EDT
It will be used in the So Cal Desert area. What are the +/- of the two and what do you prefer. And why did the US drop the 6 color?

Thanks,
Dick
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Desert Storm BDU's myself

"IM JUST OUTSIDE 29 PALMS MARINE BASE"
Spring,Summer or Fall? 6 color??
I think Its just a fashion trend! HEHEHE

no? really?
I think its just another change for the budget increase? justifing their budget?IMHo
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I wore the six color day deserts for twelve years in the desert of Nevada. We've just changed out to tan BDU's.
The chocolate chip BDU's work great in this area.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The old-style Choco-chip pattern is my fav. for the Mojave Desert.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The 6 color was found to "not blend in "as well as the 3 color back in '90-'91.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The chocolate chips were designed to work in the Mojave desert where the US trains for desert warfare.  

When units went to the Middle East and later into the sandy deserts in SWA, it was found that the pattern that was based on a "rocky-high mountain desert" didn't work in a "sandy desert," hence he adoption of the 3 color cammies.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Have they quit issuing the 6 color altogether?  My impression was the same as STLRN's, that the two types are for different types of deserts.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Imposter
No they haven't.  The 6 color is still maintained and issued in what would be almost considered a training and war reserve type supply.  Normally you see it issued out to units doing OPFOR duty, or units whose primary mission is not the Middle East.  The ones that are tasked to go to the middle east get the 3 color ones while those that will follow get the 6 color.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top