Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2001 3:53:40 PM EDT
Ain't gonna be the "Northern Alliance"!  At least, if the US has IT'S WISHES!!!  

OH.....SURPRISE.....SURPRISE!!!

DaMan

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Maybe you'd rather the UN poking its nose into OUR affairs?? [;)]
View Quote

Duhhhhh!  Look at the title of post!

DaMan
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe you'd rather the UN poking its nose into OUR affairs?? [;)]
View Quote

Afghanistan is ours, not the UN's.  We have to stop with this whole "No-Ccolanialism" thing.

The only way to make sure to stop these people are to bring them up to our level, dump tons of money into gettting the average person wanting a 4 bedroom 2 car garage place of their own, and to get them out of their huts.

Picket fences for everyone, and a blockbuster on every one of their street corners.

The only other option, in reality, is to nuke the palce till it glows and not a soul is left alive.  Either choice is OK by me.  

But expanding the capatilist ideology is a better long term goal.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, and the UN did great in Korea, Somalia, Bosnia, etc...

For god's sake, don't let the UN into Afghanistan. They only fuck things up and get alot of Americans killed.

I.E. Somalia where our supposed allies wouldn't send APCs to help the Rangers trapped in Mogadishu. The UN is good for lip service, don't count on them for anything else besides global gun confiscation.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's just kick ass and leave.  Let someone else clean up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
He he he,

The snake has been fed a rat full of poison.

They are quite welcome to it after we have finished what we came there for.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Afghanistan is ours, not the UN's.  We have to stop with this whole "No-Ccolanialism" thing.

The only way to make sure to stop these people are to bring them up to our level, dump tons of money into gettting the average person wanting a 4 bedroom 2 car garage place of their own, and to get them out of their huts.

Picket fences for everyone, and a blockbuster on every one of their street corners.

The only other option, in reality, is to nuke the palce till it glows and not a soul is left alive.  Either choice is OK by me.  

But expanding the capatilist ideology is a better long term goal.
View Quote

OK! Pay my share, willya?
View Quote

No crap, I'll take Plan B "nuke the place 'til it glows."

Why the hell would we want Afganistan anyway?  Take out what's left of their infrastructure, make them hurt bad, and then let the Ruskies have that chunk of rock if you ask me, better than fighting a guerilla war there for the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Northern Alliance told NOT to push onward to Kabul by US!  Here comes a UN "settlement"!

Bet on it!

DaMan
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Northern Alliance told NOT to push onward to Kabul by US!  Here comes a UN "settlement"!

Bet on it!

DaMan
View Quote

You havent explained why Kabul is vital for the Taliban, especally since their headquarters are in Kandahar.

And as someone else mentioned, control of Kabul didnt do the Russians much good, and they held it from the very first day of the war to almost the very end.

The British took Kabul 2 or 3 times, never conquered the whole country.

Its got a nice airfield- but taking it doesnt require taking the city.

So what is the point of taking the city, especally when the last time the NA factions controlled Kabul they killed 50,000 of its inhabitants. So they arent going to be welcome there. And whoever tries to take it runs the risk of heavy street fighting, with the possiblity of some serious casualties to their forces in order to achieve...??

UN settlement of what? Negotiate a Taliban surrender? Isnt that what we are bombing them to get them to do?? Not that there is a snowballs chance in hell of any such thing happening.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Who gives a damn?  Afghanistan doesn't have anything we want, we simply want the current government overthrown and Al Quaida turned over.  After that, who gives a damn who runs the place?  Let the UN station some Albanian soldiers there, instead of having to station US troops there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who gives a damn?  Afghanistan doesn't have anything we want, we simply want the current government overthrown and Al Quaida turned over.  After that, who gives a damn who runs the place?  Let the UN station some Albanian soldiers there, instead of having to station US troops there.
View Quote

My point exactly.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

C'mon it's the U.N.
They'll probably
station
soldiers
from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
there to keep the peace.[smash][grenade]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Haha!
Good!
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:10:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank goodness nobody cares about that oil field under the Caspien Sea! Hum.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:23:29 AM EDT
[#18]
SOMEONE's looking to control the price of heroin.[whacko]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Haha!
Good!
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:01:00 AM EDT
[#20]
[quote}OK! Pay my share, willya?[/quote]

Raf, raf...raf.  Just because the cavement that live there now don't want the oil, doesn't mean that half a dozen large oil companies wouldn't sell their first born to get in there.

It could be paying for itself int he first year.

Don't be so short sighted.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:15:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thank goodness nobody cares about that oil field under the Caspien Sea! Hum.  
View Quote

You got it, IBERIU!  Nobody cares about that oil field under the Caspien Sea ..... or where a pipeline would be constructed to transport it!

Besides, if they were to tap that field, there'd be an oversupply of oil.  Bad for big oil in this country and oil producing countries in the Middle East.

raf, please read my original post, I wrote "SURPRISE, SURPRISE" with big tongue in cheek (maybe I should have put a smiley to emphasize this).  I knew what the plan was all along!  One of the first things the US did after 09-11 was to pay what they "owed" to the UN.

ArmdLbrl, Kabul is STILL the capital and largest city.  Control of Kabul is key to controling the country.

As far as the UN picking up a "tar-baby", who's going to finance them and provide the lions share of the military presence?  US!

BOHICA!

DaMan

Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:32:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Lets not give afganistan to the U.N.  Lets keep a few bases there. let russia have most of the country, and let russia pump the oil to us.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Before you guys get your tinfoil in a wad over the secret plans to exploit Afghanistan's oil, I'd like to remind you of two things:

1) The name of the sea is "Caspian".  Note the spelling.

2) Afghanistan is landlocked; the Caspian Sea is on the other side of Turkmenistan.  Look at a map.

[img]http://www.amnh.org/learn/pd/genetics/pcr/images/caspian.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Build the Bering Strait Tunnel now!

Pipeline goes east for oil and NG.
Railroad goes west with Grain and vegetables Russia needs to feed itself from US and Canaidan farmers.

Saudi Arabia and the gulf countries can screw themselves- until Russia gets uppity, then vice versa.

There may be oil under the Gobi too by the way.

There is oil under Siberia, but Russia spills almost as much on the ground as they pump.

Japan and Russia are already working on a tunnel for rail and pipeline from Hokkido to the Kamchaka Peninsula, so they can get oil and wood dryshod from western Siberia, and so Russia can rail in stuff from Japans year round open ports.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank-you very much for the excellent geography class, renamed!  And thank-you, raf, for pointing out how LOONY it would be to have a pipeline for Capsian oil go through Afghanistan!

I had NO IDEA that Afghanistan was landlocked!  I guess that means no huge tankers steaming out of Kandahar, eh???!! [:D]

Actually there are two southern routes for pipelines under consideration. One through Iran and one through Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

But YOU GUYS are right!  That's "tin foil hat" stuff!

I better stroll off to the store and get more Reynolds Wrap!  Until I get back, I'd like you guys to check out this site! [url]http://www.eia.doe.gov/emen/cabs/caspian.html[/url]

Man!  These guys need some tin foil too!

Please read it!  I'll be glad to answer any questions when I return.

DaMan

PS - Some other "NUTTY" stuff! Did you know of Dick Cheney's Caspian Sea oil investments?    

[img]http://www.amnh.org/learn/pd/genetics/pcr/images/caspian.jpg[/img]

eia site edited
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
PS - Some other "NUTTY" stuff! Did you know of Dick Cheney's Caspian Sea oil investments?    
View Quote

Duh!  He was only the CEO of Haliburton, the worlds largest Petroleum Services company before becoming the VP. [:D]  I figure there's not a recent oil venture without some Cheney money in on it.  And so what?  God bless him for being a capitalist!

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's my take on it.  I think the UN, while originally intended to do good, is unable to do anything but monkey up the works.  I'd rather see Afghanistan in US hands than the UN any day.  I have always figured the UN would play a significant part in Revelations, and them controlling territory in the Middle East doesn't make me feel any better about any of this.  We'll still be paying the lion's share of an UN occupation too.  And as far as pumping money into their economy or nuking them until they glow, either way we go about it it's going to cost a significant amount of money.  Hell, a Tomahawk missle is a couple million dollars by itself!  How much do you think one nuclear warhead costs?

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Duh!  He was only the CEO of Haliburton, the worlds largest Petroleum Services company before becoming the VP. [:D]  I figure there's not a recent oil venture without some Cheney money in on it.  And so what?  God bless him for being a capitalist!
God Bless Texas
View Quote

Yes, GodBlessTexas!  Cheney has BIG MONEY in international oil!  President Bush too!  Hopefully there's not a "conflict of interest" between their present duties as Pres. and VP, and their financial interests!

Not accusing.....just pointing it out!

Not accusing Admiral Crowe of any "conflict of interest" either!  But he's sure not hurting financially from the current anthrax scare!

DaMan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top