Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2001 7:44:04 PM EDT
Right now, I have a gun overflow and can't fit everything in the safe. I am thinking about storing some of my seldom use, cheaper guns in the attic. What is the best way to do this? I had read about the rust proof bags. Would they be good? Anything I should worry about when storing guns in the attic?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Try mounting a security cabinet horizontally between the joist and then put them in rust proofing bags before you put them in it, that way you can cover it with something so that its not visible .
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My safe has also overflowed. One .22 bolt rifle (sans bolt) now resides in the corner of a hallway. I have been shopping for another safe, plan on ordering it Tues. I suggest you do the same.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try mounting a security cabinet horizontally between the joist and then put them in rust proofing bags before you put them in it, that way you can cover it with something so that its not visible .
View Quote

That's a good idea!  I would even suggest the $100 safes that are meant to mount between wall studs. mount them in the attic floor, and lay a rug over them.

No_Expert
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've stored mine in the attic for years. Built boxes with lids and hasp locks.Lined the boxes with water repellant paper.(used it for crates shipped overseas at work)Put w.d.40 coated guns in socks and loaded them in horizantally. Covered with bags of clothes and crap.Lock on overhead access in garage. No problems except you break a sweat in the summer when ya gotta get one down. Poor folks have poor ways! [:E]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 4:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a good idea!  I would even suggest the $100 safes that are meant to mount between wall studs. mount them in the attic floor, and lay a rug over them.

No_Expert
View Quote

For several years, I had mine in the attic too! It was out of sight, at the top of a pull down ladder. Because the job moves me every 2-3 years, I end up in rental houses or Gov't quarters. I'm currently storing 19 rifles (stacked like cordwood) in a Homak 12 gun cabinet, and actually have room for a few more.

I would lay the cabinet [u]across[/u] the joists, on it's back. The foot print of the cabinet will distribute the weight across a greater area. You can lag bolt it to the joisting. You will want to add a handle to the door. Get a gun sock for each rifle, etc. that you are storing. It will prevent dings and scratches. The silicon impregnated ones are a good choice for corrosion prevention. Also place a goldenrod dehumidifier in the cabinet. I also covered it with an old wool blanket to keep the dust off.

This should keep the kids and opportunists away!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top