Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2001 4:17:45 PM EDT
Today my wife and I met with another shooter from fnfal.com to shoot at the local range here in idaho. I've had problems in the past with these crusty, double barrel shooting prune bags. I've been told that I couldn't use police siloutes on the pistol range because it promotes killing, I've been told I couldn't shoot my 9mm uzi on the pistol range because it "shoots .223 ammo" and finally we come to today's events. Six of us had been shooting for about three hours, since we where the only ones at the range we had all the toys layed out so we could share, it was beautiful!! FAl's, m-4's, ar-15s, sar-1's, sar-2s and a ton of old german, russian and who else knows what bolt action rifles. At about the third hour of our stay one of the range officials shows up and starts hollering "hey are you guys shooting military ammo, there is no ball ammo allowed on the range!!"  We kind of looked at each and answered yes. We where then given the lecture that military ammo ricoutes and we could lauch one over the 100 foot burm 300 yards out and kill someone. We could only shoot lead tipped bullets and one at a time. We were also inlightened to the fact that you can only load one round in the gun at a time, that should be a blast with a class 3 full auto!  Man what a load of crap!! We have been members for a while and the rules continue to change. The rules are not posted and seem to change to keep the peace of our fragile bench shooters.

I  have always shaken my head while reading posts about places on the east coast and if california with the stupid range rules. Well I guess the nazi's have finally infiltrated idaho as well.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]
There is plenty of desert to shoot in around here. We always went there because of the shady facilities. Now I guess we will just chip in for a portable sun shade and use it where ever we please. It's just sad that everyone can't get along. When other people are on the range I take that into consideration and don't empty a whole mag in 2.3 seconds. I'm sure he could here us blasting away and can't stand Sport utility rifles. As for other established ranges the next closest one is 105 miles away.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You and your buddies need to organize yourselfs within the organisation that runs the range. Change its policies from the inside.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry just can't resist.
The range officer must have been Mr. Potato Head

[bounce]    [bounce]     [bounce]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are members you should try to get together with others and get the range set up the way you would like. Just a thought.
View Quote

I'd love to but I know the politics of this particular range. My uncle is an avid cowboy shooting competitor but the club has just recenlty been allowed to build their own section of the range. This took alot of teeth gnashing to make it happen. When ever elections for officers comes up the majority of trap and benchrest shooters make sure "their man" is voted in. One day when the club is crying for more money and needs more members I wil contribute by giving them this   [-!-]

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
How can someone be that much of a total jerk (you had the gun anyhow), sounds like an old jerk too me. Like everyone uses lead rounds that is total bull! Was this the Jerome range? Good thing the only time I went there there was only one other person with a contender that didn't mind and was intruiged. I wish there was a decent range around Twin Falls other than the indoor range or the shooting club. What is the indoor range like idaho-ar15? Is it only pistol?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
ak--boy hows it going. Next time we shoot you'll have to come play as well. The indoor range is quite dark inside and hard as hell to see. You will def. need night sites to see where in the hell you are shooting. The range is tolerable in the winter when that is the only way to shoot. It is pistol only, I don't know if they will give me a hard time shooting my 9mm uzi there.

As for the range in question today. It was infact the jerome gun range. If you ever go there DO NOT go down to the 200 yard mark to set targets by yourself. Leave someone at the benches to stop pistol shooters from showing up and shooting on the pistol range. The pistol range has a 20 ft. berm on it but I've had guys show up and start blasting while I was down range (they couldn't see me) I had one bullet strike the target stand I was stapling to. Needless to say I about soiled my pants. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and we'll keep you in the loop for one of our webshoots here.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You really need to find a more shooter friendly range.

Ai
View Quote

This just sounded so funny after a really good rant!
Man, I couldn't help it.  I could NOT contain myself after reading that!
I can just see idaho-ar15 turning and looking at his shooting buddies and calmly saying,
"We really must find a more shooter friendly range, must'nt we?"

Sounds like something Dickie "Doom" Marcinko would say!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Idaho AR / AK Boy,
Do you guys like living in Twin Falls (other than the range problem)?  I spent some time there, and it seemed like a very nice town.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
To be honest I had to laugh at that post as well.  When we were confronted we just stood there dumfounded. If something like this ever happens I'll try your method!!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#11]
bj, I live near Twin Falls, Wendell to be exact if you remember where that is. I work in Twin Falls and in my opinion Twin Falls is going down the tubes. Increase in crime, people who don't know how to drive and a couple other things that will get me banned for saying them. We are trying to figure out a way to move to the woodriver valley near Ketchum/Sun Valley.  What did you do while in the area??

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
bj, I live near Twin Falls, Wendell to be exact if you remember where that is. I work in Twin Falls and in my opinion Twin Falls is going down the tubes. Increase in crime, people who don't know how to drive and a couple other things that will get me banned for saying them. We are trying to figure out a way to move to the woodriver valley near Ketchum/Sun Valley.  What did you do while in the area??

idaho-ar15
View Quote

Talk about driving! I was driving around town and that parade they were having(Blue lakes blvd was all blocked off), Holy cow I almost got hit by someone running a stop sign, saw a cop almost get ran over even though his car was in the middle of the road!, it was just nuts today. Not to mention people drive like there drunk all the time. The worst part about it is that they get pissed at you when you flip them the bird.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Idaho,
Don't think I went thru Wendell.  Sounds like you've probably lived in that area for some time.  Think I probably know where you're going with "what you can't mention", but also does seem like crime and drivers are getting worse almost everywhere.  The time I spent in that area was on a very lenghty and most pleasurable road trip.  
BTW, about 10-15 miles south of town maybe a mile off to the west you can see a huge volume of water.  What's the deal with that?  Is it part of a canal?  It was the volume that got my interest!  
You into the prairie dogs?  Sure do miss poppin those dogs!  Last question: how's the economy doing in Boise?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
what you are describing is the Shoshone falls. All that water comes from the area around Jackson hole, it feeds into the snake river and then comes down here. Thats where we get all of our irrigation water. When we have a good snow year that thing is really ripping. This year shoshone falls was only a trickle and the whitewater rafting was VERY thin. The ground squirrels and rock chucks around here don't last long with all the blasting that goes on.  

later
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#15]
... what is a shooting range?
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I wouldn't go to that range anymore, the place is run by idiots. He doesn't know what he's talking about. The combination of dork and stupid makes for a dangerous gun range. Most of the indoor ranges here don't allow hollow points or soft points because of richochet. Only FMJ allowed. I have been hit several times by jacket and slug fragments in the past. Ow! And because of the fire hazard, only lead core at our open rifle ranges. If the brush wasn't so dry, steel core would be OK too. There is almost no danger of richochet on a 300 yard range.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When we were confronted we just stood there dumfounded. idaho-ar15
View Quote

You should have seen the reaction...Idaho and his buddies just kind of stood there with mouths agape for a few seconds.  It really *was* dumbfounding.  Buddy just shrugged and we packed up and left.  Just the culmination of a few things.  Anyone want to go in partners in a new gun range in the Magic Valley?

The quote of the day: "No ball ammo is allowed on this range."  
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#18]
man that does suck i just read in the newsletter for the Tucson rifle club that starting in december there going to start mandating open chamber indicators
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
"I've been told that I couldn't use police siloutes on the pistol range because it promotes killing"

That right! and if you use that on the rifle range it promotes kill people that are far away[:D]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I  have always shaken my head while reading posts about places on the east coast and if california with the stupid range rules. Well I guess the nazi's have finally infiltrated idaho as well.

idaho-ar15
View Quote

You ain't kidding. That sounds worse than anything I've experienced at So. CA. ranges. I've pretty much accepted the stupid restrictions at various CA ranges ( no .50s on weekends, no reloading mags off the firing line, no smoking on the firing line, no rapid fire, etc.)  but hate it when I hear about this crap in "free" states.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Been banned from bringing my Hk 91, 93, or 94 to some ranges as they believe that I may go bezerk and start killing all the people over there!

One place in Houston, Top Gun off of Beverly Hills Rd. wanted to take apart and examine my HK 94 before I was even allowed to go to the range claiming that "all people that I've seen throw these doors have their assault rifles illegalily modified to full auto."  What a bunch of bs.[-!-]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems as if a person were to go "Postal", they would NOT do it at a shooting range...kinda like Al Sharpton going to a Klan meeting.

Lets see...you got ex-military,LE's,off duty LEO's,rednecks w/ their deer rifles,competition experts in skeet and rifles,NAtional Guardsmen prepping to qualify....nope. Death wish comes to mind on that reasoning...

Someone's ALWAYS got to be regulating...

[blue][b]NAKED-GUNMAN[/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:33:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top