Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2001 12:26:40 PM EDT
I am  writing a research paper on the 1934 National Firearms Act and need to know the names of the authors of the act. I hope that this isn't a really stupid question, but I know that there is truly a wealth of info here and thougth that I may tap into it. I have spend some time today online searching for the info that I need and have come up empty. There is alot of info out there but not what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely that information is in the Federal Register or the Congressional Record. I tried searching the Library of Congress and the National Archives, but neither have that information online. you will have to go to a library and find it. Ask for those two titles. You will have to probably go to a college or university's library, since they are the ones that usually have that. In fact, since I work in our library here at MU, I could look it up for you, but you will have to give me until this Sunday to find it(the library is closed now.)

Send me an email if you want.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
This may help .[url] http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/1932_uniform_machine_gun_act.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
[url] http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/1932_uniform_machine_gun_act.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/1932_uniform_machine_gun_act.txt  This is the address it keeps underlining the link .
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Greenfrog is at my house and we are working on her paper, she asked me to say thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey 101_proof, Do you have a copy of Unintended Consequences available?  You could pick up some damn good points from Henry's paper on the subject. Good luck on the paper.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey 101_proof, Do you have a copy of Unintended Consequences available?  You could pick up some damn good points from Henry's paper on the subject. Good luck on the paper.  
View Quote

Yup, that was actually part of the inspiration for deciding on "gun control" as a topic.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/1932_uniform_machine_gun_act.txt[/url]

That's the 1932 Uniform Machine Gun Act. Was that later incorporated into 1934 NFA?
View Quote

Good question.  The act quoted above was proposed by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws, not Congress.  Their act had a strange and confusing definition of a machine gun, namely:
1    SECTION 1. (Definitions.) " Machine Gun " applies to and
2 includes a weapon of any description by whatever name known,
3 loaded or unloaded, from which more than five shots or bullets
4 may be rapidly, or automatically, or semi-automatically dis-
5 charged from a magazine, by a single function of the firing
6 device.

So is a semi-automatic AR-15 a machine gun per the above definition?  I cannot figure this out.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
thank you for your help. i knew that it wasn't drafted by congress. I was actually able to find out who the authors were and now if I can just find out who they were in terms of what their signifigance is (was). I guess what I mean is, Why these men? What made them the appropriate people for this task?

anyway, I am going to say that no the AR would not qualify since it doesn't fire more than one round "with a single function of the firing device." At least that is my understanding.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
thank you for your help. i knew that it wasn't drafted by congress. I was actually able to find out who the authors were and now if I can just find out who they were in terms of what their signifigance is (was). I guess what I mean is, Why these men? What made them the appropriate people for this task?
View Quote

So who were the authors?
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder why the NFA of 34 banned all MGs, but the Uniform MG Act of 32 on banned 7.63mm and Higher.

Hell, if it had done that, we'd be free to own AK-47s, M-16s, etc...

Also, worthy of note are the names and places on the Uniform MG Act.

First Guy listed is from Boston, MA. And the Secretary (or leader) is from Chicago, IL. God, they were working their master gun control plans even back then.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#15]
in the original draft of the NFA handguns included as NFA weapons
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder why the NFA of 34 banned all MGs, but the Uniform MG Act of 32 on banned 7.63mm and Higher.
View Quote

7.62 mm, is of course, about .30 caliber.  Perhaps these fine gentlemen personally owned some .30 caliber machine guns?  LOL.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So who were the authors?
View Quote

Well, it was a Committee that they called into a collective union entitled the "National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws in Preparing the Uniform Machine Gun Act."

The group was made up of
Joseph O'Connell, Boston, MA Chairman
James Ailshie, ID, Chairman, Uniform Torts and Criminal Law Acts Section
William Hargest, Harrisburg,PA., Pres., Ex-officio.
Charles Imlay, Wash. DC
Charles Lane, Cheyenne , WY
A.L. Scott, Pioche, NV
Henry Upson Sims, Birmingham, AL
Robert Stevens, Itacha, NY
Edgar Thompson, Charleston, SC
W.H. Washington , Nashville, TN

I still wonder who they really were and why they were selected. I am working on that part of it still. It's very interesting.

Link Posted: 11/17/2001 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Ya'll would be amazed... or maybe not.. at some of the literature that is out on Gun COntrol Topics. I am writing a paper on how the 1934 Nat'l Act is a violation, etc .. you know the drill. It's been difficult to find good, credible sources as support for my case. I can find PLENTY of information on the flip side of things. Anyway, I also thought that I would offer up one of the intersting books that I Found was "Gun Rights Fact Book " by Alan M. GOttlieb. It's pretty comprehensive.

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I still wonder who they really were and why they were selected. I am working on that part of it still. It's very interesting.

View Quote

Greenfrog,

In the days before the US Congress started legislating on everything, the Legislatures of the various states would occasionally pass laws that were similar across all the states.  They used a body called The National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws.  These people have a web site at:
http://[url]www.nccusl.org[/url]

They may be able to give you some information on the individuals concerned.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top