Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2001 4:14:18 AM EDT
Some of you probably read a few months ago that the horse I'd had for 18 years broke her leg and had to be put down.  I still miss her incredibly bad... still sometimes think I'm going to look and see her in the pasture.

Some of you also know that I have.. um... a [i]few[/i] dogs.  My favorite being my 13lb beagle chihuahua that I rescued several years ago.  

Last night I got home from playing pool around midnight.  When I got out of the car, I heard Iris barking in the back yard.  I remember thinking, "I don't remember putting Iris out."  When I got in the house, it looked liked someone had spilled something and smeared it all over the Florida room.  As I got closer, I realized the back door was open... and BooBoo was nervously snapping her mouth... and when I turned on the light I realized it was blood.  And it was all over the place.  Then I saw Daisy Mae's collar in two on the floor.  That's when I started shaking.

One of my big dogs, Molly, has a very high prey drive and was involved in a serious attack on Daisy about 4 or so years ago.  The attack was initiated by my ex's dog, April, and Molly joined in.  Since then, I've always kept Molly and Daisy separated if I wasn't around as a precaution.  

Long story as short as possible... I found Daisy dead in the back yard.  I can't bring myself to look closely at what she did to her but I know she bled out all over my Florida room.  I'm so emotionally overwhelmed from this and losing Windy that I just feel numb.

And I've decided to put Molly down.  I know that Iris probably started a tussle with Daisy that led to Molly's prey drive kicking in, pushing open the back door and attacking.  I also know that she can't help it... it's now instinctuation for her.  But I can't have a dog that kills other animals.

I just can't take any more loss right now.    
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't really know what to say MM other than I'm sorry for your loss (again) and I will pray for you.  I know words do not really help, but you will be in my prayers.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh Sara, [>Q]
 I am so sorry...

The loss of a special pet is difficult enough
without it having to happen like this.  I know
there isn't a damn thing I can say to help, but
I can tell you tears will help take the pain and
loss away a little bit at a time.  Let this
start some for you....

[b]The Rainbow Bridge[/b]
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

I wish I could hand you a kleenex.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#3]
So sorry Sara.

Its just a matter of time now too heal the pain.

bob
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm so sorry! I can sympathize first hand!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel so incredibly saddened by your recent losses. I can't say which animal humans can get more attached to - their horses or their dogs.

But, either way, you've suffered enough. So it is wise at this point to part with Molly.

Why not send her away to some other home? There are probably other families nearby who would be able to provide Molly with a good home, and yet not be providing Molly with another opportunity for mayhem.

Eric The(YouLovedHerOnceUponATime)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Sara,

I've lost beloved pets and had to put some down as well, but I can't imagine the anguish you are feeling right now.  Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.  I wish I could be there to help you through this.  Please don't try to deal with this alone.  Call a friend to help you.  You need a shoulder.

Tammy
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#10]
MM,

I'm deeply sorry for your loss, ma'am. Losing pets can be hard. They're the best companions we can have.

I second EricTheHun on this one, though...  Maybe see if you can find a person or people who don't have any small children, or other pets, and see if they want Molly, understanding in full her past, of course.  I have had a couple dogs like this, and they were fine until you got them around kids and other smaller dogs to get them going. Maybe Molly is the same way.

I'll keep you, and your four legged companions, in my thoughts.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear of your loss. With my wife, her best friends are our dogs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Very sorry MM....good luck to you...[:(]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]
MM being a dog lover myself I can only say that I feel for Ya.  Be easy on yourself MM, don't feel like you could have did something to prevent it, it wasn't your fault. Only time and a prayer can relieve your recent heartfelt losses.
I was always taught not to waste pain and suffering, offering it back up to the Lord with a prayer shows God you accept your crosses, and he in turn will bless you with peace and comfort..  We all care for you MM, keep a stiff upper lip OK.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#16]
... Losing you "best friends" is so hard. I'm so sorry. You never forget the loved animals of your past, I guess thats why we [i]always[/i] have them around us.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I know nothing can be said to make it easier, I am sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#18]
MM, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends. My deepest sympathies. You are in my prayers.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Nothing hurts more than losing a good "friend"...

I'm sorry,  
Ray
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#20]
MM,

I am so sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you're level-headed and planning to do the right thing by the animals.
My bride would cry, encourage you to immediately go get a cuddly puppy to take your mind off of it....I can't argue.

hang in there...

Prayers are with you
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#21]
This story sounds like something out of a Stephen King novel.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Miss Magnum, I'm sorry for your lost, I can tell by your words they were a very important part of your family and life.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you very much for all of your condolences and words of encouragement.  I  keep thinking about what Mother Theresa said, "God never gives me more than I can handle... I just wish he didn't trust me so much."  

I did have Molly put down this morning.  I understand those who wish I had found her another home but the fact is I take in stray and abused animals and nobody wanted Molly to start out with.  Add to that the fact that I know she is dangerous and I couldn't live with myself if she did something horrible to anyone else and you'll see that finding another home was not an option.  Please don't think this was a light decision... my mother, boyfriend and vet's office were all in agreement on this one.

As for getting a cute puppy.. umm.. I think I'll wait on that.  I still have three dogs at home that I think I will concentrate on.  BooBoo was extremely traumatized by this, I found blood on her last night and I know she tried to jump in and protect Daisy (she's stood guard over her before).  Even this morning, she was sniffing and poking Daisy's body and laid down beside her.  

I buried Daisy in my garden in front of a statue of St Francis of Assissi.  Dang dog tried to kill herself at least four times while in my care so I figure she'll need extra protection in the afterlife.  ::an attempt at dry humour::

Oh... 'nother reason to not get a puppy?  The BF is visiting his family (bad timing) and is bringing back his own puppy.  I had been whining before how I didn't want six dogs.  Be careful what you wish for.... [:\]  

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Man Sara, I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of Daisy Mae.  Let me know if there's anythingI can help with.

Ross
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I wish I had something witty or profound to say, but all I can think of is:

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, and I hope that you have some calm times to help you adjust.

Tom
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#26]
This seriously sucks. But remember, doing good deeds (such as taking in strays) is always far more difficult than being selfish.

You can only be hurt if you care. But not caring must surely be far worse.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I am sorry, Miss_Magnum.
Your pets are like your children, I know.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a friend once. An 18 pound orange tabby. My mom picked him up from the door at her nurses station and brought him home. He was palm sized when he was brought into our family. Just a little guy, so helpless. We fed (I'm tearing up as I write this) infamil and similac with an eyedropper. He started to become a strong little dude. Then he chose ME as a best friend. A great cat he was. I went away for a year on a fishing stint in Alaska for a year. When I came home, I yelled out for him, and lo and behold, the familiar bell came ripping around the corner to greet me. That was my best friend.

3 years later:
I came home from a friends house to find him lying dead on the porch. No nothing as to why or how he died. I cried for weeks.

Miss_Magnum, I share your pain. It's been 10 years since Knuckles died, but I still cry when I think about him. Go find a strong shoulder to cry on (I used my dads)
Good luck with your grief and god bless.
t
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I`m verry sorry to hear of your loss. i was devastated when the dog I grew up with passed on due to her age. I don`t want to think of losing a friend any other way.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#30]
My first dog met abruptly with a pick-up truck.  The second one took on a station wagon and lost too.  

You made the right decision.  

Life goes on.................
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]
i know it hurts. we lost two horses last winter...and one of my favorite barn cats.

take care keep the memories with you.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm very sad to hear of your loss. Taking in stray animals is a kindness that makes you special.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I am very, very sorry to hear about what has happend. It ahs been a little over a year since my APBT "Junior" was killed, and I still think of him quite often. I hope that time, family han friends will help you to overcome the pain of your losses.

Eric
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top