Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2001 6:27:12 AM EDT
Not all has happenned to me but it has happend to at least one of my CO-WORKERS.

1. Getting shot at..(job hazard we accept when we signed but its not fun)

2. Getting SUED (I have been sued countless times. My favorite was the time a guy punched me so i sprayed him with pepperspray he tried to sue. Thank GOD I havn't lost one yet)

3. Getting spit on!

4. Getting called ever bad name in the book and having to take it with a smile.

5. Being asked why I slammed some guy on the ground who was half my size.."he couldnt hurt YOU" I feel physical pain just like anyone else regardless of my size.

6. expected to keep my emotions in check because im an Officer and I have had "TRAINING" like I'm some kind of super being or a monster and not a human.

Theres so many more but I'm not going to list them all it would take to long.

Just because I'm a cop I am a bad person
Just because I'm a Black I am a bad person
Just because I'm a Jew I am a bad person
Just because I'm a (fill in blank) I'm a bad person

It dosnt work everyone is different including LEO's  
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:30:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You sound like you need a hug. C'mere.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting feces throw at you (they jam in the elevators in the Baltimore HUD highrises so the cops have to take the stairwells and they toss feces down on them)

Per my LEO brother inlaw:

Having every single black you pull over claim racism  

them: "you only pulled me over because I be black"

him:  "no, I pulled you over for doing 104 mph in a 55"
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You sound like you need a hug. C'mere.
View Quote

::le sniffle le cry::

[:D]

actually this is my response to the ticket post earlier. how we LEO's cheat the system and all that JAZZ
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:42:21 AM EDT
[#4]
1) Getting hit with a late job when all you really want to do is go home at the end of your 8 hour tour.

2) So you have a 3 day swing (days off) coming?
Don't count on it. As you pass the desk officer: "Oh, the President/Prime Minister/sombody important is coming into town and we need you to work your days off!!! See you in a few hours"

3) "Oh you wanna give me a ticket? I got your shield # pal!"...like that really hurts my feelings.

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Not all has happenned to me but it has happend to at least one of my CO-WORKERS.

1. Getting shot at..(job hazard we accept when we signed but its not fun)---so do we , but we can't shoot back, we can't carry and we have to run....

2. Getting SUED (I have been sued countless times. My favorite was the time a guy punched me so i sprayed him with pepperspray he
tried to sue. Thank GOD I havn't lost one yet)So do we and we don't have the de['t to pay our legal fees
3. Getting spit on!-----yep it happens

4. Getting called ever bad name in the book and having to take it with a smile.In Texas, if you carry, This is a legal requirement

5. Being asked why I slammed some guy on the ground who was half my size.."he couldnt hurt YOU" I feel physical pain just like anyone
else regardless of my size. We would go to jail

6. expected to keep my emotions in check because im an Officer and I have had "TRAINING" like I'm some kind of super being or a monster and not a human. You have to pay for your perks---because you are an officer and you have had training.

Theres so many more but I'm not going to list them all it would take to long.

It dosnt work everyone is different including LEO's
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. Getting shot at..(job hazard we accept when we signed but its not fun)---
so do we , but we can't shoot back, we can't carry and we have to run....
View Quote

get a ccw. plus just being able to shoot back dosnt make it fun its not the damn movies.

2. Getting SUED (I have been sued countless times. My favorite was the time a guy punched me so I sprayed him with pepperspray he
tried to sue. Thank GOD I havn't lost one yet)
So do we and we don't have the de['t to pay our legal fees
View Quote
I dont have the money either and sometimes I'm not covered by the Dept.

3. Getting spit on!-----
yep it happens
View Quote
and it suks

4. Getting called ever bad name in the book and having to take it with a smile.
In Texas, if you carry, This is a legal requirement
View Quote
OK, but you can curse back we cant.

5. Being asked why I slammed some guy on the ground who was half my size.."he couldnt hurt YOU" I feel physical pain just like anyone
else regardless of my size.
We would go to jail
View Quote
I'm trying to arrest/detain not whoop ass

6. expected to keep my emotions in check because im an Officer and I have had "TRAINING" like I'm some kind of super being or a monster and not a human.
You have to pay for your perks---because you are an officer and you have had training.
View Quote
cant turn it off with a switch this very thing is what causes so many problems with LEO's

Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

actually this is my response to the ticket post earlier. how we LEO's cheat the system and all that JAZZ
View Quote

I know, I caught the reference. I just try not to pass up an opportunity to razz an Okie. [;)]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#8]
How about catching hell from every cospiracy nut and cop hater on this board because of the actions of a a few bad LEOs? [:(!]    Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How about catching hell from every cospiracy nut and cop hater on this board because of the actions of a a few bad LEOs? [:(!]    Just a thought.
View Quote

That's why I stay clear of all the LEO bash Fest's on here...[:)]

You forgot one very important point..[b]COURT![/b]

Sitting there on the stand, after documenting every detail of an arrest, cataloged evidence to the point of redundancy and have some piss ant of a defense attorney tell you your an idiot. Try and do that every week, in front of a packed courtroom...for 15 years! But then, I can't imagine not doing it. [:)]

It's good OT...pays for my disease.

Yer Pal,
Deputy Bob
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I know, I caught the reference. I just try not to pass up an opportunity to razz an Okie. [;)]
View Quote

but but but im from El Paso, TX the militarty just dumped me here. so I am a "texohman".....well not really as El Paso is realy part of NEW MEXICO. hehe
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#11]
WOIM,

Where abouts in OK are you an LEO? Just curious!

Ian
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WOIM,

Ian
View Quote

Comanche County Sheriff's Dept. (Lawton/Ft.Sill)
Where in OK are you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOIM,

Ian
View Quote

Where in OK are you.
View Quote

Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office. It's cool to see some other OK LEOs here!

Ian
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOIM,

Ian
View Quote

Where in OK are you.
View Quote

Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office. It's cool to see some other OK LEOs here!

Ian
View Quote

SMOOTH
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not an LEO but my brother is and I was stunned at how many people that are being arrested will threaten him!
My favorite one has to be "Got a family? Love them?" I would be freaking ballistic but he just laughs at them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#16]
WOIM, I'd personally just like to say thanks for the good job you do.  You and many of the other LEO's on the board sound like good people.  I've run into my fair share of bad cops and my fair share of good cops.  The bad ones always give the good ones a bad name, which is unfortunate.

You guys stay safe, and continue to do a good, honest, and fair job.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I run into stuff that I dont agree with..I open my mouth. When I see a bad/blind brother in blue I do my best to corect his evil ways. Theres just to much us v. them shit going around and yes we are civilians.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I think BarracudaBob hit upon one real problem with what law enforcement officers have to do.  Dealing with the legal system.  You need the patience of a rock.  I can handle the slight chance of being shot at, called names, dealing with idiot bosses, etc., but I don't think I could deal with the waiting.z
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

them: "you only pulled me over because I be black"
View Quote

If he's white, he should respond with this:
"You're only saying [b]that[/b] 'cause I is
[b]white[/b].
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#20]
1. Having donut crumbs fall out of the squad car everytime you get out to chase a perp.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#21]
1. Being a LEO 24/7.

2. Having some of your acquaintances act different around you.

3. Holding in check your strong desire to pull your weapon and kill the POS you're protecting.

4. Having people that you've arrested recognize you during your down time.

5. Dealing with the emotions of domestic violence that effect kids. Gets me every time.

I don't miss the LEO life at all. That life changed me dramatically.
To you current LEO's, keep up the good work. Some people don't appreciate what you do, so fuck them. Know that there are lots of people out there that do appreciate what you do. I do because I've been there.

Peace,
John
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Shift work: working midnights weekends, holidays, kids birthdays, then spending your days "off" in court.

Heart disease, high blood presssure, back injuries, skin cancer, stress & car crashes.

Having your friends murdered because of thier career choice ( R.I.P. Shane York & Brad Riches).

Telling parents that their 16 year old son died in a car crash or their 14 year old daughter was raped.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#23]
When you are having dinner with your significant other, and halfway through your meal, the cook comes out and thanks you for the ankle monitor he has to wear because of you...

Getting hit by motorists who are DWHUA while you are directing traffic.

Cleaning up after the drunk who vomited/urinated/bled/crapped in your patrol car/jail cell/interviewing room/sallyport.

The fat guy who crapped on me.

The fact that you don't have any Constitutional rights during IA investigations. They can even search your house without a warrant (true of no other civilian profession).

Very ugly drunk/stoned/crazy people who insist on sharing their hatred of clothing with the rest of the world.

Having to lie to the five year old kid being loaded onto the helicopter when she asked if her mom and dad were dead.

The smell of decomposing flesh and the looks on people's faces when they meet a sudden, violent death.

Having to tell a family that their daughter/sister hung herself on a holiday, for no apparent reason.

Knowing things about your neighbors that makes you invest in really good locks and keep a weapon handy, always. Sometimes, ignorance IS bliss.

Searching people with poor hygiene habits.

The flag you next-of-kin get if you get killed.

The "a**" smell of the jail that follows you home.

That sick feeling of fear in your gut you get when going into what you already know to be crapstorm and you might be killed. It goes away once you are in the thick of things, but you'll get it back when you try to sleep.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#24]
A favorite of mine is some scum bag I arrested the week before eyeing my family at wal-mart/mall/wherever then starting sh!t with me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Let's not forget the greatest gift the job gives us, we die on average 20 years earlier than the general populace.
Getting shot at is bad, but getting shot is worse. Don't belive the movies, it hurts like hell. Getting spit on sucks, but try it from some fag with full blown aids. Lots of shots and followup medical checks. Plus the worry and stress. Being at the front desk when your mother is called in dead.
Having board members who belive that DUI enforcement is another strike at their civil liberties, that only 450 are killed each year by drunk drivers...
Getting shit on by fellow board members.
The willingness of so many board members to belive what ever kinda crap is put out by folks who were not there, or else are only putting out the perp's spin...
Mandatory meetings on days off, mandatory BS training on days off, traffic court circus on days off...
As to the original post on perks of the job. My wife got a ticket from a local PD. I am a sergeant with the SO. Did I try to "fix" the ticket? No, I made her take a safe driving course after paying 80% if the citation cost, then $25 for the school. (everyone in Florida has the right to do this 1 time a year, so no points go on the driving record.
This is how I fix tickets.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#26]
You know what?  I think it would be a hell of a lot shorter to list the perks of the job.

1.  Can buy any gun I want (not Full-Auto's), no questions asked, no 3-day wait, no licence, no nothing.  Cash and Carry.

2.  20 year retirement

3. .............

Lets see, other than that, the job sucks!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#27]
How about everytime you see a parent with a small child misbahaving the so called parents explain to them that they better behave or you will take them to jail. HAHAHA. No anymosity there.
Giving CPR by yourself to a 3 year old girl until the paramedics arrive. And then having to tell mom and dad and grandparents that you were nor successful. That one REALLY hurts.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]
To all the decent cops on this board, and every other (conservative) board, I say "Thank You."  

I can go for long periods of time and never see one criminal, but you guys go looking for them every day. And if you can't find them, someone on the radio phones you up and tells you where to find them!  I'm glad you guys run towards danger, instead of away from it. "Erasmus, could you please drive across town and confront the filthy-dirty, musclebound maniac on PCP for $6 an hour?"  

"Hell no, lady.  What do you think I am, a cop."

-------
I don't hate cops, but I do respect them.  They are the personification of state power.  And if I am carelessly transporting a pile of guns, the cop who just pulled me over has the capability to create official dificulties for me.

Anecdote:  My two gun-nut brothers were carrying arm-loads of Mausers, Enfields, Springfields, Nagants, etc. to their vehicle in the parking lot of their apartment. As they finished up, the cops came around the corner, saying, "What have we here?"  All the guns were legally owned, but the the cops still spread out the entire WWII armory on the ground by the car, radioing in each serial #.  The neighbors lined all the balconies staring at everything.

My brothers then felt they had to leave the apartment complex. (oops)

In short, I guess it's a thankless job, uncertain job, so Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Erasmus, MOST of the time it is Thankless, but thanks to people like you who take a minute to say "Thanks", it makes it worth it, it really does.  Thank YOU
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Fogger pepper spray, pain in the ass to use for those of us who wear contacts. (BTW, No, I don't use it that often. six times in four years I think.)  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top