Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2008 2:42:38 AM EDT
Just was wondering if I could refine the oil from sperm whales into usable fuel for my cars.     Its been long enough since we westerners last hunted them.  Maybe they've recovered enough since Moby Dick days that they'd be competitive with dino oil.

It would be a 100% bio-fuel and renewable.  Maybe we should set-up a group whale hunt.  I can see it now, bumper sticker on a prius "100% Bio-Fuel Powered" "Save the Whales for My Car"
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:44:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Speaking of biodiesel, I just paid $3.89 a gallon for some at my local biodiesel station

Regular diesel was the same price as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the dead should fuel our cars.

also frees up space taken up by those creepy cemeteries.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:47:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Dunno about fuel, but PJ1 black label chain lube is made with "Synthetic sperm whale oil."

Got a can in my garage, really slick stuff.

Just made me think of it...

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 2:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Biodiesel from body fat?  We've got enough people here in the US that could sustain that.  All deceased get lipsuction by the mortician and then processed into fuel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 3:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biodiesel from body fat?  We've got enough people here in the US that could sustain that.  All deceased get lipsuction by the mortician and then processed into fuel.

Might as well line up the living fatties too, so we can save on health care costs...
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just was wondering if I could refine the oil from sperm whales into usable fuel for my cars.     Its been long enough since we westerners last hunted them.  Maybe they've recovered enough since Moby Dick days that they'd be competitive with dino oil.

It would be a 100% bio-fuel and renewable.  Maybe we should set-up a group whale hunt.  I can see it now, bumper sticker on a prius "100% Bio-Fuel Powered" "Save the Whales for My Car"

NO! Serious federal PMITA crime. Whale anything for Americans is illegal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, it worked for Futurama.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Butthead.... He said sperm! Heh Heh Heh...
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 5:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Man, I had to read that title twice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm...

1. Sell the Alpaca farm
2. Use the proceeds to get into whale ranching
3. Develop an environmentally-friendly market niche in "free-range" whale oil
4. Sell out to Exxon
5. WIN!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Sperm Whale oil is 100% renewable!

Why do back to the 18th Century though?  Good old gasoline and diesel works perfectly well, is relatively cheap, and is very plentiful.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Nah. Doesn't work very well.

You get power in "Spurts"  

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it is still legal to power your car with whale sperm but not sperm whate.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey, it worked for Futurama.

Mobil Dick for the win.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Just checked. Bad news.  Whale sperm is on the endangered products list.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Back in the day, sperm oil was cherished as a fine lubricant. It has since been replaced by synthetic oils.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, it would work very well in a diesel.  But illegal.

We could process human fat into biodiesel, only some might have problems with it.  It should be like using bacon grease for BD.  That results in the highest cetane number of all BD feedstocks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might as well line up the living fatties too, so we can save on health care costs...

Bio Green?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Back in the day, sperm oil was cherished as a fine lubricant. It has since been replaced by synthetic oils.

Yes, a favorite of watchmakers -- It stays put, and won't creep.  Wish I had a bottle to use on my firearms.

Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, I had some good laughs at some of the responses so far.  I guess this is the kind of thread I post when waking up for a 3am confernce call and then trying to pass the time trying to get back to sleep.

I think the least intrusive green method would be to set-up a bio-diesel processing operation down in Los Angeles and use post liposuction wastes.  I then could power an S series diesel Mercedes, while I spin around town.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#21]
There is enough oil in sperm whales worldwide to provide about 1 day of energy requirements in this country before going completely extinct.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
There is enough oil in sperm whales worldwide to provide about 1 day of energy requirements in this country before going completely extinct.

So what are we waiting for? Let's fire up the whaleboats. Chop-chop.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, this is what powered street lamps at one time and almost killed off the whales....luckily someone discovered oil...and lots of it and SAVED THE WHALES....well, not the 2 legged ones.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't want to jack off a whale everytime I need to fill up. Rather pay $5 buck a gallon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread reminds me of Soylent Green. instead of eating people, we could use them to power our cars...
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been advocating that for a while.  There is even a group on Facebook. "I Support Alternative Energy: Turn Poor People Into Biodiesel."

Jonathan Swift would approve.

Although I like the Paper Street Soap Company as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That is what large scale industrial sperm whale farms are good for...
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Farming sperm whales for the win!
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

We could process human fat into biodiesel, only some might have problems with it.  It should be like using bacon grease for BD.  That results in the highest cetane number of all BD feedstocks!

Take the fat from everybody who dies with an organ donor card and is heavy enough to make it worthwhile.  I would have no problem at all with that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I wouldn't want to jack off a whale everytime I need to fill up. Rather pay $5 buck a gallon.

Sperm from Oil Whales?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take the fat from everybody who dies with an organ donor card and is heavy enough to make it worthwhile.  I would have no problem at all with that.

Even if all the hurdles were overcome, I don't think the quantity would be nearly enough to make a gnat of difference.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Why not use an anaerobic digester to make methane and then process it into LNG and Diesel?  Much better than performing lipo on a corpse.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Considering that there is probably not enough whales left to power one rush hour in a small town, I'm left wondering if you have lost your mind or are about 16 and just like posting worthless BS drivel.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

IIRC, the etymological root of cetane is the Latin word for whale.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering that there is probably not enough whales left to power one rush hour in a small town, I'm left wondering if you have lost your mind or are about 16 and just like posting worthless BS drivel.  

More of the lost my mind aspect. Posted in the middle of the night trying to go back to sleep. I'm 36.   All tongue in cheek thread here.  And besides, I never said this was to solve our worldly fuel problem.   I'd just want it all for me, because I'm self-important, selfish, and ego driven.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This would also help avert a zombie crisis since the bodies could be ground up before they turn.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why not use an anaerobic digester to make methane and then process it into LNG and Diesel?  Much better than performing lipo on a corpse.

Hypothetically: Corpses could simply be rendered down and the fat used in fuels. The remainder could be used for the amareobic digester for methane production.

Here is my disclaimer: I think this is a sick and twisted idea and don't advocate for it. It may be practical but I think it wrong and disrespectful of the living and the dead. Sadly, some asshole enviormentalists will be all for it if the idea gets out into the mainsteam.  Hell, they will want most of the living to die for their perverse project.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

What the hell will you then use to make Soylent Green?
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#39]
After reading some of the responses here I'm going to jump in before the inevitable lock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Automatic Transmission Fluid was designed to replace whale oil.

-JTP
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

No shit, really.

Glad we have you around to point out what everyone already knew… lighten up and have some fun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2008 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hypothetically: Corpses could simply be rendered down and the fat used in fuels. The remainder could be used for the amareobic digester for methane production.

Here is my disclaimer: I think this is a sick and twisted idea and don't advocate for it. It may be practical but I think it wrong and disrespectful of the living and the dead. Sadly, some asshole enviormentalists will be all for it if the idea gets out into the mainsteam.  Hell, they will want most of the living to die for their perverse project.

Might be a good alternative to cremation and paupers graves.  It ought to be legal, at the very least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top