Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2008 8:02:57 PM EDT
This girl I used to date and remain on good terms with has joined the Obama cult.  Her myspace page has photos of her at an Obama rally, pictures of Obama and apparently, she's now a delegate to the state Democratic convention.  This is really too bad because when I was dating her I turned her into a libertarian, but now the years have passed and she's got Obamania.

She's a pretty strong willed girl, so I don't think I can just tell her to change her mind.

I want to write her and tell her she's lost her mind, but I know that wouldn't go over well, so I'm posting on ARFCOM to blow off some steam.

Has anyone else here got friends who have fallen under Obama's spell?

YES WE CAN!
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Pray for her soul.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
the obama mojo is strong!
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut your losses.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask her why she supports Obama, and what she likes best about him.  If she says that she wants change, she was never strong-willed, and is an idiot.  If she does not ever answer you, she may be strong-willed, but is currently in denial.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Let the air out of her tires so she can't vote for Obama.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Why does she support him?  Does she realize the consequences?

I have a friend who is a big Paul supporter, but who will end up voting for Obama.  He preaches fiscal conservatism, and yet, will vote for a guy who will do the opposite.  All I can say is WTF.

I am student of history, and when I watch Obama, I see the parallels to the great orators of the times.  Charisma.

eta I am looking for answers as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a friend who joined the Cult of Barak Hussein Obama.

Known her for years. She was my only friends, aside from my best man, to com to my wedding.

Tried to tell her why BHO is a bad man and will run our country into the dirt, wouldn't listen.

Don't think I will ever be talking to her again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
kill them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
kill them.

Smother them in their sleep, put them out of their pain and misery.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend that is in the Cynthia McKinney cult.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
kill them.

+1, then burn the body.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have a friend who is a big Paul supporter, but who will end up voting for Obama.  He preaches fiscal conservatism, and yet, will vote for a guy who will do the opposite.  All I can say is WTF.

I am student of history, and when I watch Obama, I see the parallels to the great orators of the times.  Charisma.

I think you figured it out.  Your friend the Paul supporter knows something is rotten and moved toward Ron Paul as a credible voice with integrity saying he would change things.  Since Paul's candidacy isn't going anywhere your friend hears Obama saying "change" and Obama's CHARISMA makes people feel that he is speaking to them individually.

Obama speaks and you, as listener "fill in the blanks."  So your friend knows something needs to "change" and Obama tugs his heartstrings enough that your bud can vote for him.

That's my idea.  Really, with the crazy crop of remaining candidates I personally don't think Obama would be much worse than Hillery or Juan McCain (least of 3 evils thinking), but to actually get EXCITED about the guy is just bizarre to me.

Why not ask your friend if he really likes Obama or if he's following the "lesser of 3 evils" line of thinking.  There's no shame in saying they all stink.

I personally will probably not vote come November.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Kid I know said Obama is more conservative than McCain.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Wow.  Sounds like a real winner.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I hope you slapped him for lying like that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:08:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Tell her to look up 'Cult of Personality'.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Bury them in the backyard next to that penny collection you buried when you were 5.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#18]
We serve tasty kool-aid!
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]

So what do you do if a friend joins the Obama cult?

Slay her, kind sir...
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know if your ex fits the demographic, but for many middle class Americans, there is a powerful subconscious urge to support a successful, well spoken, benevolent, black man.  It is as if we collectively feel the need to redeem our Nation's past racial inequities, reaffirm American ideals, and reward the "good" behavior.

Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Bill Cosby even the pre-murdering O.J Simpson have all befitted immensely from this phenomenon.

In a very real sense, Obama is a Messianic figure.  He represents REDEMPTION, and you can't get more powerful than that.

My advice, cut off all ties.  You can't battle a mythic demigod with reason or logic.    
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you figured it out.  Your friend the Paul supporter knows something is rotten and moved toward Ron Paul as a credible voice with integrity saying he would change things.  Since Paul's candidacy isn't going anywhere your friend hears Obama saying "change" and Obama's CHARISMA makes people feel that he is speaking to them individually.

Obama speaks and you, as listener "fill in the blanks."  So your friend knows something needs to "change" and Obama tugs his heartstrings enough that your bud can vote for him.

That's my idea.  Really, with the crazy crop of remaining candidates I personally don't think Obama would be much worse than Hillary or Juan McCain (least of 3 evils thinking), but to actually get EXCITED about the guy is just bizarre to me.

Why not ask your friend if he really likes Obama or if he's following the "lesser of 3 evils" line of thinking.  There's no shame in saying they all stink.

I personally will probably not vote come November.

I agree.  Will vote thou.

I am giving him some time, and playing the fool.  Since he hates Hillary and the general is a bit far off, I figure I have some time.  One of those give them enough rope and he will hang himself.

One of the defining issues that I see with him and others, is our involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq.  Seems, many supporters of Paul are really anti-war folks.  This is his reason for switching to Obama, yet preaches fiscal responsibility.

One of the other things that baffles me, is the fact that he has grand plans for the wealth that he and his wife will be making.  His wife is in medicine, yet he does not see the potential undermining of his grand plan if Obama or Hilary has their way.  Not to mention any entrepreneur soul who would like to make it on their own merits.

As a side note, they have a big bookshelf filled with books.  I was initially drawn to the book 1776 by McCullough, on their shelf.  Granted, I have read his books and have found some discrepancies. However my friend has not read it, nor anything else on the founding fathers.

Again, I think this is a case of give them enough rope.  I have spurred his interest in firearms, and have converted him to the fact that the Second is all about personal defense and defense from tyrannical governments, so there is hope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top