Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2008 5:27:26 PM EDT
9 year old - "Dad, why are there gangs?" (after listening hearing Jason Lewis briefly talk about MS-13 on the way home from guitar)
Me: "The same reason there are terrorists. There are bad people in the world."
nsbjr: "So who is it that doesn't want us to have guns?"
Me: "Well, generally speaking, the liberals. They think that taking away our ability to defend ourselves somehow makes us safer."
nsbjr: "They should make them (the liberals) sit and watch surveillance videos of people getting attacked and killed and stuff. Then maybe they'd get it."

In a way it was kind of troubling that my 9 year old feels he has to worry about stuff like this, but it led into a very nice discussion on the 2nd Amendment, and how all our personal freedoms are important, and we shouldn't pick and choose from the Bill of Rights based on our own selfish interests. Then the kids started asking about free countries vs. not free countries, degrees of freedom in countries like Canada & GBR, to North & South Korea & the recent independence of Kosovo and why that would bother Serbia.

6 year old: "Like during the Civil War, when the states in the south wanted to leave the country."
Me: "Yes. The Union army won, so there weren't any new borders drawn, and the country stayed together."
nsbjr.ette: "So if the South had won, there would be two countries. Would we still be able to go see Kira? (cousins live down south)"
Discussion continued, and I had a lot of chances to turn their questions back at them so they could exercise some critical thinking.
It was a good talk, and it really helped me regain some optimism for America and the freedoms we enjoy by spending a while thinking about the good things rather than dwelling on pessimism.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Kids arent dumb.  They just get forcefed that libtard bullshit their whole school careers and start to believe it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top