Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2001 9:40:31 AM EDT
Eight weeks ago on September 11, I went to give blood for the first time in my life (I'm was scared $hitless of needles - I'm over it now). There was such a line that there was a minimum four hour wait. I went back the next morning a half hour before they opened and was first in line. By the time I left, 45 minutes later, there were dozens in line again. This morning, I went back, again a half hour early. There was nobody there. By the time I was done, only one other person had shown up. I guess it's no longer fashionable.

On the up side, I found out that I'm O negative, a universal donor. Although I had intended to continue going back every eight weeks, I will make it a point to do so now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave on Monday, first time in just over a year.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]
i'm an o negative and the red cross folks love to see o- come in because our blood can be given to anybody especially infants who need blood for some reason or other....i've given 90 plus times in my 53 years......how do you guys stack up against that number?????  Dick
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 27 and have given 5 times.  I just don't think about doing it.  When there's a blood drive at my company or somewhere else close by I always go, though.  Just need to make some trips in between those time periods.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I've given about 5 gallons so far.  I didn't bother to go in during the last two months.  I knew the demand would be overmet by the supply and also that the Red Cross would be not be able to efficiently process all the new donors.  I've always had some mixed emotions about donating blood as some of it must surely be used for cosmetic surgeries but it is satisfying to help someone like my wife's best friend during her bout with cancer.

The giant outpouring of funds and blood over 9-11 has put a BIG crimp in other charities.  Make a Wish has said they will have to curtail their efforts.  I think they will have a hard time disbursing all these funds without some major scandal and disappointment.  I believe there is way more money than is needed to cover the financial impact on people's lives, many of whom had insurance and will receive pensions etc.  Well it showed us all that we're still a pretty big-hearted nation and that's a message that's as they say... priceless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top