Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/2/2008 5:55:50 PM EDT
So how often do you completely strip your pistol down for a thorough cleaning?

I just got my P226 apart and it was pretty damned dirty, I will be reparkerizing the slide tommorrow.

I am suprised how dirty it is after roughly 3k rounds, not much wear on it, but the carbon deposits certainly were not helping.

I was having no problems so I guess it is a testament on how well made, and how reliable it is.

Not that I had any doubt.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Where's the option for "after every time I go shooting?"  My FNP9 breaks down into 4 pieces and only takes about 10 minutes to clean and oil.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
removing the ejector block and springs etc?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Detail Strip my 2 carry guns every 5k rounds.

Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I said every 1k rounds, but honestly its more like whenever I feel like getting around to it. When I had a couple of guns I did it more often, now, there is a bit too much after a range outing to get into that detail....would take a few full days and Ive found it isnt neccesary for reliable operation. match guns still get special treatment...everything else gets a good solid cleaning, and fully disassembled as needed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Something tells me people are not familiar with detail stripping their pistols, yet they expect to depend on them.

I have met a few cops that did not know how and have been using the same pistol over 10 years. (failure waiting to happen when it is needed the most)

I am not an OCD type of weapons cleaner, but rather concerned with reliability, and longevity of the weapon.

Why is it that most people never do more than a field strip?

Are they afraid to knock out roll pins etc.?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Carry pistols once a year regardless of round count. The high round count (few thou) are amazingly dirty, the low round count ones are full of lint!

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Being a Glock owner its not a high-priority
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I usually strip with my pistol after a night of heavy drinkin.....oh wait, it isn't that kind of thread.

I strip the 1911 very 2K rounds probably. The ruger P95? like every 5K or so
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Field strip? Every time, for cleaning.

Every single part? I've only done that twice, and that was for 'smithing parts in more than anything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Field strip? Every time, for cleaning.

Every single part? I've only done that twice, and that was for 'smithing parts in more than anything.

Pretty much.

With my normal cleaning routine I don't need to frame strip the pistols... Last 2 I've frame stripped were Sigs;a  P220 and P6 that we bought used and were filthy. The P6 was an ex-police pistol that hadn't been shot much but had been carried a whole lot. Probably a decades worth of old grease and carbon in that thing...

BSW
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I only do a detail strip on my guns that are over 50 years old, mainly my Lugers & Brooms.
But I do it more to inspect for cracks on the parts than to clean them. I do it after I buy them and after about 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Detail strip? Never. I carry a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I completely strip my 1911 down after every shooting session. I am obsessive about keeping my firearms clean.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I completely strip my 1911 down after every shooting session. I am obsessive about cleaning my firearms clean.

Detail strip? You remove the mainspring, trigger, thumb safety, grip safety, etc, etc?

That sounds like work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Where's the option for "after every time I go shooting?"  My FNP9 breaks down into 4 pieces and only takes about 10 minutes to clean and oil.

+1
My Glock and CZ get disassembled practically every time I go shooting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I do it for fun, i enjoy cleaning all my firearms
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I just put the Joe Cocker CD on and let them strip themselves....
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I completely strip my 1911 down after every shooting session. I am obsessive about cleaning my firearms clean.

Detail strip? You remove the mainspring, trigger, thumb safety, grip safety, etc, etc?

That sounds like work.

It isn't too bad to detail strip a 1911.  You'd be surprised how much crap you get out of them after 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Being a Glock owner its not a high-priority
+1 I can't say the last time I even field stripped one of my glocks
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Detail strip? Never. I carry a Glock.

I usually Detail Strip my slide once a year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I usually completely strip down my handguards after I shoot them, but I can't say that I strip and of my rifles down that often.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
+1 on the after shooting field stripping.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Not that often. I've done it once to each of my pistols. The time I did it to my P228, I left some "idiot marks" from the punches to get the roll pins in/ out. So I'm wary of doing it again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I just got my P226 apart and it was pretty damned dirty, I will be reparkerizing the slide tommorrow.

I am suprised how dirty it is after roughly 3k rounds, not much wear on it, but the carbon deposits certainly were not helping.

I was having no problems so I guess it is a testament on how well made, and how reliable it is.

You have to completely refinish your slide after only 3,000 rounds?

Complete detail stripping of a firearm is usually un-necessary and not something people should consider unless the weapon has been exposed to extraordinary circumstances.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to completely refinish your slide after only 3,000 rounds?

Complete detail stripping of a firearm is usually un-necessary and not something people should consider unless the weapon has been exposed to extraordinary circumstances.

+1 Im pretty sure that HK will viod your warranty if they find out that you are screwing with your pistols.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Uhhh... what is no, Alex? There's no reason to. I never have. Every now and then I'll squirt a couple of drops of CLP on all moving surfaces and parts in my USPc 9mm. The frame really doesn't get dirty or anything. I've never detail stripped my AR15's lower ever in 8 years and it's fine too.

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Detail strip? Never

Field strip? Every time I use it. Otherwise, whenever I get the urge to field strip and clean everything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#29]
For my most used guns, field strip everytime, or as close as I can.

But none of my guns have been detail stripped.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Complete detail stripping of a firearm is usually unnecessary and not something people should consider unless the weapon has been exposed to extraordinary circumstances.

This is my opinion as well.  If you really want to, knock yourself out.

The only pistol I've ever come close to completely detail stripping is my TT-33, and that's because it was absolutely caked with the most cosmoline I've ever seen on a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#31]
I strip my 1911--including removal and cleaning of the trigger, sear and disconnector--after every trip to the range.  It's so easy that there's no reason not to.  It's not like it's going to wear out the gun more quickly.  It's fun, too
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#32]
My XD only take a couple of seconds to break down. So I clean it fairly often after a good shooting of more then 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Same here, but w/ Glock.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, but w/ Glock.

detail stripping is not the same thing as field stripping...

glocks and fnps, while relatively simple, have far more than 4 moving parts.

you are field stripping.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, but w/ Glock.

Big difference between a field strip and a detail strip.  I bet you're not detail stripping your Glock after every range trip.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Every time I fire my weapon. With the exception of my .22 which gets a little less attention than it should, simply because it's a real bitch to take down (never buy ruger pistols.)
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I do a cursorary cleaning every range trip, ie I clean the barrel of lead, usually a couple passes of a plastic brush, a couple of patches with CLP, clean junk around the breach face, relube the rails with a couple of drops of CLP and I am done. 5-10 minutes max, mostly 5 mins side.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully...I should have known the Arfcom grammer/technical gestapo was lurking....

I field strip and thoroughly clean my 1911/AR after each firing session.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll detail strip the SLIDE on my XD every 1K or so.  It's amazing how much crud finds it's way into some of those places.

I'd detail strip my 1911 just for grins on several occasions, because it's so easy to do, and because I like to
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#40]
After every trip to the range.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I field strip and thoroughly clean my 1911/AR after each firing session.

That's fine. It's probably not necessary after EVERY firing session, but there's no harm in routine field strips and cleaning, unless by "cleaning" you mean using up an entire bore brush from scrubbing the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#42]
S&W M&P after 6,000 rounds, no cleaning:

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#43]
I have never detailed stripped my XDs. Total round count on them is well in excess of 10k.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Carry guns:

Once a year they'll get detail stripped and cleaned. They get field stripped for basic cleaning of important parts after every range trip.

Non-carry guns:

These get cleaned as needed. Probably once a year or if they obviously need it for aesthetic or function reasons. If the action isn't nice and smooth I'll usually break it down and do a basic cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#50]
I never detail stripped my Glocks, Berettas or SIGs when I was using them.  

With SIGs in particular, you are not supposed to re-use the roll pins.  Who wants to dick with having to buy a bunch of new roll pins?  Forget it.

When they got particularly filthy, they'd get sprayed out with brake cleaner or some other pressurized solvent.

I beat the piss out of my competition guns and even they don't get detail stripped anything like every time I clean them, despite being of 1911 ethnicity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top