Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2008 5:32:59 PM EDT
My son serves in the United States Navy, station in Mayport, FL. With the minimal amount of money the he receives from the Navy he bought himself a bike to ride to work, a Honda CRB600. On Feb 27th his bike stolen by some dirt bag only to found later that day because the "Ass Hat" and his buddy stole a GSXR with a "low jack" brought the cops in to find the bikes but not the dirt bags! My son got his bike back beat to snot, fork lock broke, brand new tire down to the cords, ignition punched out, tank beat up from trying to get in the gas tank. Oh yeah he didn't have insurance on it either. So now he has to pay to get his bike fixed.

He asked me to send him his 12ga Mossberg Marine to protect himself and his property. Should I send him his gun?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe explain the importance of insurance and parking security...  sorru to hear about this but insurance would have been ideal.  We live and we learn.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If he is an adult, why would you not send him his gun?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
yes
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
No deadly force to recover or defend property here in FL.

He should have a gun anyway though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny, I always have maintained that there are alot of "dirtbags" in FLA.

Send him the gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Send him his gun, but school him on the lawful use of force in Florida.  Not sure whether stealing a bike qualifies (but it probably should).
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He asked me to send him his 12ga Mossberg Marine to protect himself and his property. Should I send him his gun?

If he lives on base or on his ship don't even bother trying.

Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#8]
CCW is a better option.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lives off base.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't send him a gun. If he wants police help, I may be able to arrange that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
maybe explain the importance of insurance and parking security...  sorru to hear about this but insurance would have been ideal.  We live and we learn.

As a parent you can only do so much to tell them what they need to do but it doesn't give a dirt bag the right to fuck with others propety.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hows that?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hows that?

IM sent.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
CCW is a better option.

Can't do that if he is going to or leaving the base.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lives off base.

ETA: how the hell didn't he have insurance on it if he was riding it on base?

You may want to ask him... if he bought the bike from another squid it may have
already had base stickers on it and IRRC you are required to take a motorcycle course and have valid insurance also.

It would suck for him to get the third-degree from his chain-of-command on top of getting his bike F-ed up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Florida is full of scumbags.

Send him two guns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lives off base.

already had base stickers on it and IRRC you are required to take a motorcycle course and have valid insurance also.

It would suck for him to get the third-degree from his chain-of-command on top of getting his bike F-ed up.

I know he took a course on base. He bought the bike new from a Honda dealership and insurance through them only if the bike hasn't recovered would they pay the balance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Send him two guns.

Two?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Bike thefts are extremely common in FL , tell him to buy a cover for the bike if he cannot keep it indoors it will take alot of attention away from the bike also lojack is a wise investment on a bike.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Top things off for him this week his fiance had a miscarriage and lost his first born.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lives off base.

I know he took a course on base. He bought the bike new from a Honda dealership and insurance through them only if the bike hasn't recovered would they pay the balance.

Did he have a loan on the bike?  If so, how did he not have comprehensive?

Link Posted: 3/2/2008 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lives off base.

Did he have a loan on the bike?  If so, how did he not have comprehensive?

I asked the same, but he only had the insurance through honda if it wasn't recovered they would pay the balance of then lien. He will be changing the the type of insurance he carries now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My son serves in the United States Navy, station in Mayport, FL. With the minimal amount of money the he receives from the Navy he bought himself a bike to ride to work, a Honda CRB600. On Feb 27th his bike stolen by some dirt bag only to found later that day because the "Ass Hat" and his buddy stole a GSXR with a "low jack" brought the cops in to find the bikes but not the dirt bags! My son got his bike back beat to snot, fork lock broke, brand new tire down to the cords, ignition punched out, tank beat up from trying to get in the gas tank. Oh yeah he didn't have insurance on it either. So now he has to pay to get his bike fixed.

Most definitely yes!
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That sucks. No don't send the shot gun.I live in Jax the crime rate kind of sucks here sometimes. My father had his car stolen. The cops found it a couple of weeks later sitting on the rims. Everything worth taking was gone, including the engine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Does your son have a safe to store a shotgun in? If he cannot afford insurance, he probably cannot afford a safe. He will come home one day to find his shotgun stolen too. Doesn't learn quickly, does he?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Does your son have a safe to store a shotgun in? If he cannot afford insurance, he probably cannot afford a safe. He will come home one day to find his shotgun stolen too. Doesn't learn quickly, does he?

What good is a gun locked in a safe? Are you going to show a picture of you holding the gun with a mean look on your face to a intruder? Or is it so you have piece of mind that they can steal anything but your gun locked in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What good is a gun locked in a safe? Are you going to show a picture of you holding the gun with a mean look on your face to a intruder? Or is it so you have piece of mind that they can steal anything but your gun locked in the safe.

It tends to not get stolen when the owner is gone and the house is broken into.

If he didn't have proper insurance on his bike, and the area is that bad, I don't know that I would be sending anything of value to him.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Does he live in Mayport?  If so that explains it.  Its supposed to be on the up and up, but I'm not seeing it.  Worst part of the beaches.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#29]
The area west of Mayport Rd. definitely sucks. But there are bad parts all over town. I tend to avoid the Regency area like the plague. It's a bad sign when they put a police substation in the mall.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Which CBR (F1,F2,F3,F4,F4i,RR)?  If its a CBR600 (f1) then you might as well just sell it as is.  I've got an older F3, '96

I never park my bike anywhere that isnt a controlled area or a garage unless I'm looking at it from within a restaraunt or something.... and I only have a "crappy" F3

Edit: Go easy on him guys, most bikes CBR600's are not worth it to insure against theft, especially if its anything other than a new F4i or RR.  We're talking $1000 - $3000 bikes if that, full coverage for a responsible experienced driver being around $1500 per year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#31]
OK, there are a LOT of mixed messages here:

"Yeah, that is a crappy area.  Don't send him the gun."

WTF?!?!

If it is HIS GUN, send it to him.  PERIOD.

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Which CBR (F1,F2,F3,F4,F4i,RR)?  If its a CBR600 (f1) then you might as well just sell it as is.  I've got an older F3, '96

I never park my bike anywhere that isnt a controlled area or a garage unless I'm looking at it from within a restaraunt or something.... and I only have a "crappy" F3

Edit: Go easy on him guys, most bikes CBR600's are not worth it to insure against theft, especially if its anything other than a new F4i or RR.  We're talking $1000 - $3000 bikes if that, full coverage for a responsible experienced driver being around $1500 per year.

It's a 2006 CBR600RR. I should trade him my 1983 Honda Interceptor 750 no would steal that relic.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a 2006 CBR600RR. I should trade him my 1983 Honda Interceptor 750 no would steal that relic.

Holy shit, poor bastard.  Thats a really badass bike!  At least he got it back.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Listen up.

If he lives off base, you can send him the 12ga, just make sure he has proper storage for the weapon.  If he lives with a roommate (most likely), you better get him a safe anyway...  roommates are not always trustworthy.  

HOWEVER................

If he lives in a barracks or onbase housing, he's not allowed to have a firearm stored at the barracks/housing.  If he gets caught with a firearm on base, he will be subjected to whatever punishment the command sees fit.  When I was stationed at MCAS Beaufort, they would hold barracks inspection, confiscating contraband.  If they find the gun, they will take it.  

I have 8mm video (seeing about posting it online someday) of a barracks shakedown.  They confiscated swords (ninja, broad, sabre), non-armory issued guns (state-side: real, fake, paintball, BB, etc), alcohol (what's allowed accordingly by rank, type of alcohol, and amount allowed), pets (including pet spiders, dogs, cats), burners (fire hazard: portable gas stoves, non-issued coffee makers, etc), and other types of contraband.  

The other option is to have the 12ga stored at the armory... but I highly advise against it.  I knew a couple of guys in armory and they liked to fingerfuck other people's guns (nobody knew because of the limited access... easy to get away with things if the NCOIC/SNCOIC/OIC aren't around.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2008 5:42:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Very sad to hear. Send him the gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Send him two guns.

hey... thems fightin words.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Funny, I always have maintained that there are alot of "dirtbags" in FLA.

Send him the gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top