Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2008 6:19:56 PM EDT
Is there a kit that can convert a Remy 870 express cosmetically to a Remy 870 Tactical? I would assume I would need ghost ring sights, a replacement mag tube that would hold more ammunition, synthetic parts to replace wooden parts, etc.

Can anyone give me a link to a shop that specifically sells kits for this purpose?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Just get a 870 Marine Magnum, afermarket pistol grip stock, and put some ghost ring stights on it.

Thats what I did, minus the ghost ring sights,
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you want a Police or Tactical? To more closely replicate a 870 Police you'll probably want to start with an 870 Wingmaster. The factory tactical/home defense models that i've seen use an express receiver, factory extension, speedfeed stock, and Wilson combat ghost rings.
I don't think anyone sells a kit. But you can buy all that stuff pretty easy online.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do you want a Police or Tactical? To more closely replicate a 870 Police you'll probably want to start with an 870 Wingmaster. The factory tactical/home defense models that i've seen use an express receiver, factory extension, speedfeed stock, and Wilson combat ghost rings.
I don't think anyone sells a kit. But you can buy all that stuff pretty easy online.

What are the major differences between the Police and Tac version?

And why the Wingmaster as opposed to the Marine Mag and the Express?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wingmasters are better built guns. Express models lack the fit and finish, they're built to be a no frills working shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This post explains in detail: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=1&t=177796

The tactical versions I've seen (keep in mind remington changes stuff a lot, so this isn't necessarily true of all of them) are basically green epoxy coded expresses. They have a factory extension and an aftermarket stock.

A Wingmaster has a metal trigger guard and has more finishing and machining done on the receiver. A Police model has even more work done on it than a wingmaster. The Express is a good platform and I have one. However, a Wingmaster or Police is just a little nicer. A used Wingmaster is easy to find, and they are usually already broken in

Here is my 1970's vintage wingmaster riot (which is what they used to call the police models) with a Choate extension. I didn't think the factory extension was worth the extra money. Very smooth action, although I did snap the firing pin dryfiring. Not bad for a 30 year old gun that has seen some action.

Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wingmasters are better built guns. Express models lack the fit and finish, they're built to be a no frills working shotgun.

But during the conversion process, I am essentially stripping the forend and the stock and replacing them with synthetic parts. Or are you talking about the finish on the metal as opposed to the wood?

Also, will I need to completely replace the mag tube or can I just get a mag extender?

Third, which one of these stocks do you think would be best? M4-style "Spec-Ops", fixed stock, top folding, or side folding?

Top folding

Side Folding

Fixed

M4 Style
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Just thinking about the top-fold hurts my shoulder.

I had on once after about 14 shots, the complete absesne of any padding on the butt left my shoulder sore as fuck for a while.  took that off and put a pistol gip stock on.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The wingmaster/police has more work done on the metal components of the gun. The finish is also a lot better. The express finish isn't all that great, but it will work it you keep it oiled.

A mag extension simply screws onto the factory tube. An express model has dimples in the tube to hold in the follower, so it will take a little work to make an extension work. Check out the shotgun forum for directions.

Not to bash, but I wouldn't put any of those stocks on my shotgun. A conventional, old school shotgun stock works really good for me. If you want something different, check out offerings by Speedfeed, Knoxx, or Mesa Tactical. ATI isn't exactly high quality, and a shotgun will quickly show that when you started beating it with slugs and buckshot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But during the conversion process, I am essentially stripping the forend and the stock and replacing them with synthetic parts. Or are you talking about the finish on the metal as opposed to the wood?

Also, will I need to completely replace the mag tube or can I just get a mag extender?

Third, which one of these stocks do you think would be best? M4-style "Spec-Ops", fixed stock, top folding, or side folding?

Top folding

Side Folding

Fixed

M4 Style

I'm referring to the mechanicals of the gun. Go to the local gun store and take a look at a wingmaster and an express side by side. Cycle the actions. The difference will be readily apparent.

With an 870, you just need to get an extension. On Express models, you'll need to remove two dimples(easy) on the end of the tube before a mag extension will function.

My HD 870 is pretty close to CollegeBoy's, except mine doesn't have a mag extension. I'm probably not the guy to talk to about changing the stock
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

read the link given above and you will find your question has already been answered.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Just for your FYI.  Low budget tacticool shotgun.  This is an older Wingmaster with an 18" IC barrel and then a Speedfeed III from Cheaper than Dirt.  Add the Choate extension and it's perfect.  The shotgun was free and the park on the receiver was done by a friend as a favor.  The only problem is getting my thumb/finger to the safety, so I might trim down the pistol grip.  

Low budget shotty.  Sorry for the clutter, it's one of my inventory pics for an upcoming move.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just for your FYI.  Low budget tacticool shotgun.  This is an older Wingmaster with an 18" IC barrel and then a Speedfeed III from Cheaper than Dirt.  Add the Choate extension and it's perfect.  The shotgun was free and the park on the receiver was done by a friend as a favor.  The only problem is getting my thumb/finger to the safety, so I might trim down the pistol grip.  

Low budget shotty.  Sorry for the clutter, it's one of my inventory pics for an upcoming move.
i65.photobucket.com/albums/h222/abn_fdc/Rem870-3.jpg

Do you have to replace the barrel as well?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]
WTF Wingmasters are freaking expensive! (according to impact guns)

Price check on 20" Wingmasters?

And whats with the small bar-looking thing on the top of the barrels of some shotguns?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The original barrel was about 28"; it is in the pic.  I could have used it, but it would look strange on my set up, not to mention it would not fit through doors very well.  870 barrels are ALMOST universally interchangeable with no tools at all..
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And whats with the small bar-looking thing on the top of the barrels of some shotguns?

Remington 870 Express $320
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Explain the part in red.  If it applies to what I have, I'll break out the camera.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The original barrel was about 28"; it is in the pic.  I could have used it, but it would look strange on my set up, not to mention it would not fit through doors very well.  870 barrels are ALMOST universally interchangeable with no tools at all..

Does the fixed stock pose any problems for you?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the Wingmasters have tapered barrrels so they are thinner at the end. Good for sport, not so much for "tactical" applications. Express will suit you fine, it just won't have the finesse.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Explain the part in red.  If it applies to what I have, I'll break out the camera.

Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the fixed stock pose any problems for you?

No.........but Speedfeed does have a shortened stock set up for folks wearing armor or those who prefer a shorter LOP.  This would have been ideal for me if I had known about it prior to buying.  I prefer a fixed stock on a shotgun.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.impactguns.com/store/media/rem/rem_870_wingmaster.jpg

Are you asking about the ventilated rib? Or vent rib for short?

It's purpose is to help in sighting.

You could be asking about the canti-lever mount that some barrels have.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy a used Wingmaster.  There is nothing as smooth as 50s or 60s Wingmaster, IMO.  They can be had for pretty cheap, usually sub $200.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you asking about the ventilated rib? Or vent rib for short?

It's purpose is to help in sighting.

You could be asking about the canti-lever mount that some barrels have.

I think that's it.

What particular advantage does the SpeedFeed III give you that other pistol grip stocks don't?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, doesn't apply to me.  To tell you the truth, I've never played with a modern shotgun.  Remington just calls it a vent rib.

Already answered better than I could.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Not to bash, but I wouldn't put any of those stocks on my shotgun. A conventional, old school shotgun stock works really good for me. If you want something different, check out offerings by Speedfeed, Knoxx, or Mesa Tactical. ATI isn't exactly high quality, and a shotgun will quickly show that when you started beating it with slugs and buckshot.

HUGE +1...  Gun store I was at today, there was a guy there to replace his ATI stock with a Knoxx stock.  He had the ATI on there for exactly 1 box of #8 and it would rattle when you shook it...  Stay away from the the ATI shit!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What particular advantage does the SpeedFeed III give you that other pistol grip stocks don't?

At the time, price and availability only.  If I was to do it again, I'd look at the shorter Speedfeed IV-S shortened stock.  I would try it out first to make sure your finger and thumb can reach the safety(this is my only gripe about the 870 vs the Moss 500).  

Versus other pistol grips, I DO NOT KNOW.  My only experience with modern pistol grips is with what I have and with the Mossberg 500 gunshow ATI M4 stock mods.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I would look for a used police model or Wingmaster with good wood.  Sell the wood on Egay and install a Knoxx Specops and your choice of forend.

The factory mag extensions are the best and can be found for around $30.00 used if you know where to look and have a little patience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top