Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2001 4:50:59 PM EDT
Since this is "general discussion" I have a burning question, and, no, its not about any STDs.

Here it is, "Why do you temporarily lose your hearing when you yawn?"

Or does it only happen to me?

Now understand it only happens for the duration of the afformentioned yawn.

We'll discuss sneezing and eye closing some other time. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it decreases the pressure in the ear canal.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
It's because, er, uh, you see the fallopian tube tendon what runs to the hiatal sphincter of the diaphragm is contracted upon innitiation of trapezeus atrophy.

Now don't bother me again.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Pangea, I thought it was something like that.

Now, is that also connected to the sneezing, eye closing, phenomenon [sp].?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Do mean during or after? My hearing gets better when I yawn, it's like I can hear through my mouth (really!) then afterwards it seems like pressure has built up and I have to swallow to "pop" them.  If I'm riding on my motorcycle and yawn, while I'm yawning I can hear all kinds of higher pitched noises i.e. engine noise, tire/street noise very clearly.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Hay when I close my eyes I can't hear anything. never noticed that before. Oh well.....

Benjamin
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
None of this happens to me. However, has anyone ever yawned and the muscle(s) above your throat/neck goes into a spasm? This happens to me on occasion and it hurts like hell. I wish I could just loose my hearing for a second like normal people.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Born_in_the_prk was right about the ear thing. As far as the sneezing and eye closing goes, I think its a natural reflex. The pressure inside your head is so great that if you don't close you eyes they could possibly fly out. If you don't agree try it for yourself.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hay when I close my eyes I can't hear anything. never noticed that before. Oh well.....

Benjamin

View Quote

And when I fart I can't see a think!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the kind of conversation that occurs when non of us either have or want to spend the money on a new Rifle.  We are waiting.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a attic fan , works every time.

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Benjamin

View Quote

View Quote

I can't see when you fart either.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
One thing, NEVER....EVER SNEEZE WHILE BENDING OVER TO PICK SOMETHING UP!!!  I did this once and it totally killed my back.  Hurt like hell, really.

I wonder if it's true that if you sneeze and fart at the same time, it'll blow your insides out????
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Benjamin

View Quote

View Quote

I can't see when you fart either.
View Quote

whewwww, I thought it was just me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top