Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2001 12:06:43 PM EDT
What do you guys think of these? Are they good, or a POS?  All opinions welcomed.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can find a local computer store they can probably build you a computer for less than you would spend on a compaq. Other than price they are decent machines. Which one are you considering? the other option is to build your own pc. I built my 1.4ghz amd for about $650
good luck with whatever you get.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I say it depends on your level of comfort with the machines, you could get a better price through Dell but I don't know how their customer support is, whereas Compaq's (at least for servers) has been fairly decent IMO.  IBM has horrible support, and HP is okay on printers so I can only surmise that for PC's its okay as well.

One of the clone manufacturers like Micron et al will give you a decent machine for the price as well, with less proprietary internal componentry.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a Compaq tech, and I like the deskpro's and such.  
IPAQ's are not that bad either.  
Dell's are good too.
c-rock
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
POS, buy a Dell, I wish I would've.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Compaq until a few weeks ago. It was ok other than I couldn't do anything to upgrade it. I just got an emachine last week and I love it. Much better price than the competition. Go check out their website and see their specials.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  The one we're looking at is a Model 5007 SR. It's a 900MHz with an AMD Duron processor. It's at a local Sears for $399.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Compaqs are shit.

I have one, and it'll be the last Compaq I ever own.  Got it about two years ago - right from the begining, there were problems with the CD.  It took three replacement CD players, one replacement motherboard, and several complete re-installations of the system software to achieve absolutely nothing.  It still doesn't work all the time, it still crashes and freezes up for absolutely no reason, and last week the monitor completely blew (after two years of light use the monitor is fried?).  Maybe I just got a lemon, but everytime I called Compaq for help, I got some belligerent ignoramus who knew less about the computer than I did.  I have utterly given up on this POS machine and as soon as I can afford a new computer, this one has a date with the business end of a Browning 1919 machinegun.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
emachine has a 1GHz Celeron, 256Meg RAM, CD/RW, 30 Gig HD for $499. Thats what I just got.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Forgot to say it comes with Windows XP too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Don_R, since you're in Texes check out Micro Center's PowerSpecs, they're pretty good deals and have a 10% discount running right now. [url]http://www.microcenterorder.com/product_intro.phtml?category_id=1&sub_cat=1&brand_id=1&header_image=/artwork/powerspec_header.jpg[/url]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I HATE presarios.  Compaq makes excellent servers, and the Deskpro line has been very good.  However, I have seen more "buggy" presarios than I car to mention.  THey typically come with the worst compnents, and super cheap mainboards... cramped/badly designed cases.

I second the Dell recommendation.  Especially the Dimension line.  We order over 400 of them over the last 2 years, and I only saw 2 (thats right, TWO) failures in ANY of them.  We ordered them with Upgraded video cards (VooDoo3's) and two of the cards caused the machines to lock upp erratically.  Dell shipped new cards no questions asked, and we saw no other failures thus far.

They were well laid out well, and came with top quality components.

Personally, I build my own.. just like my AR's.  But for $399... you can almost afford to pitch it if it sucks.

If that is a lot of money to you for a PC... then pay a little more and get something good, like a Dell.  Get Windows 2000 or XP if you can... super, super, stable.  ME/98 does not hold a candle.

I dont think whether Compaq is bought by HP (might not go through... lots of issues) will have ANY impact on the service levels to the end consumer.  I would NOT let that affect your decision.

Just remember... a $399 computer is like buying a Century rifle:

You are starting off with a parts kit "copy" of some "REAL" gun... made to hit a market for budget buyers who otherwise would not be able to get the real thing.  What you end up with, is.... like so many say here... a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
hmmm that's interesting. i am an IBM tech. We do the national service for dell,ibm,hp and several others. Field support is excellent on the ibms depending on what you are refering to. Next day repair by defualt. Same for dell. HP is notoriuos for long delays in parts. We are seeing extreamlly high failure rates with system boards and hard drives on dell optiplex systems.
View Quote

Ahh, I wish I knew ye when I had IBM systems to support...  At a previous location I had numerous problems with IBM support on the phone for desktops, long story.  The field techs for the workstations and the PagePrinters knew their stuff however.

On server support? Abysmal, it's been a couple of years since I've used it but I can't imagine that much has changed.  They are too expensive now to bother with though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Emachines?
You've got to be kidding me , right?
These are universally panned in every computer mag I've ever read. They use the cheapest components available and their support stinks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
hmmm that's interesting. i am an IBM tech.
We do the national service for dell,ibm,hp and several others. Field support is excellent on the ibms depending on what you are refering to.
View Quote

Hey, I have supported and seen it all.  All companies have issues, constrained products, and support problems.

IBM, from their Netfinity line, gives HORRIBLE support.  I have worked with Compaq, HP, Dell, and IBM servers... and IBM is the pits.

Besides... they all subcontract out to service companies... depending on the account, service plan, and failure.

We have received service from both the direct vendor, and contractors from IBM and HP.  Dell and Compaq have always been a contract service vendor... of course... we hardly ever needed any support on anything but the IBM servers!

Next day repair by defualt.
View Quote

Most all of them sell you on that.  Plans change.  It has a lot to do with where you facility is, and what resources the vendor has in the area.

Same for dell. HP is notoriuos for long delays in parts.
View Quote

Here in Dallas, we have an HP service center right down the street.  HP ALWAYS has gotten the parts to us within 4 hours of the call.  If anyone has been the FASTEST with no-haggle parts replacement, it is HP.

You see, there are sooooo many factors... based on geographics... and what parts/support plans are in the mix.

We are seeing extreamlly high failure rates with system boards and hard drives on dell optiplex systems.
View Quote

We ran the Dell Optiplex's for YEARS.  While I prefer the Dimensions better personally... Dell's have been ROCK SOLID on the desktop platform.

We have a line of IBM servers... (mind you, serving THOUSANDS of clients) that had to have every SINGLE MB replaced.  This created outages all over the country.  

Every vendor has occasional bad batches... and product runs/lines.

EVERY VENDOR.

Dells hardware service is generally excellent given the volume of failures they have. However software support seems to be seriously lacking per what i have been told by most customers.
View Quote

Never needed software support from Dell... so I cant comment there.  My impression of software support from IBM, HP, and even Microsoft... is the ALL SUCK.

IBM has good hardware support as well
View Quote

I will say this.... IBM's THINKPAD (only) hardware department is the BEST in the industry.  Second to none.  They have the fastest turnaround time, and are EXTREMELY competent....    Their server line folks.... HAH!

but software support is limited unless a software contract is purchased. While i personaly would build my own the IBM systems are reliable and well made. . I'm not sure you could give me a dell. Since they have picked up the government contract QC has gone to crap.

mike
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Ahem...well being an employee of Compaq, I have to say that they are the finest machines on the market today.  [rolleyes]

Seriously though...If you don't want to screw around with building your own, they are ok machines.  The video cards of some of the lines are weak, so if you're into games, watch out for those.  There are several lines that put a decent video card in them so you'll want to question the sales guy if you're interested in a Compaq.  As far as support in the future goes??? I havent a clue...

As of today, we are still treating the "merger" as something that's gonna happen.  so we'll see.  It would be really really expensive for HP to back out now

Personally...I'd build one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
The worst part about CPQ is the hog apps running in the background, you'll want to disable those to get peak perfomance.  Another thing you'll want to do is disable the CPQ support feature, if you don't have problems DON'T UPDATE!!!  Some of their soft paqs have screwed up more than it's helped and others are so large that you don't have time to waste downloading them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#20]
That's true.  The OEM brick (factory software build) on the Presarios is a PIG!!!  It is loaded with so much CRAP that they practically crawl right out of the box.

Tons of extra garbage you dont need.  

HP is about the only other supplier that loads that much garbage... similar to the way Packard Smell did... and we see what happened to them.

First thing I do with a Compaq is reload the OS.

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#21]
My two cents, for what it is worth.

10 years dealing with Compaq... [b]FVCK COMPAQ[/b]

Desktop to servers, I have never, ever had any good luck with them. Phone support is horrible, onsite engineers don't know crap (have to show them how to do things). Proprietary pieces of total crap (although I do have to admitt they are getting better, not much).

The only nice thing I can say about Compaq is that board rooms in Huston are really nice, and they can lay out a spread like you wouldn't believe. They promise you the world, but deliver junk.

As for what to go with for a home computer, HP or Dell. Laptops - IBM. Or as many others have said, build your own. It isn't that hard, and you appreciate it so much more. Try to find a nice local mom-n-pop shop, be nice, do your homework and they should take care of you. Plus when things go bad, YOU know what is wrong and YOU can fix it.

Now, if you want a server. HP BABY!! Last four years with working with HP Netservers have been utter bliss. KISS (Keep It Simple Son) servers. Phone support kicks ass, on site engineers that know what they are doing, point out ways to make things run better, never rushed, willing to take time and make sure things go perfectly. Parts come in on time, or they make sure to call you and explain why the delay. If you can't take the delay, they will make it happen (somehow, and they have).

Now if I can stop my managers from buying Compaq, I would be a very, very happy camper. Or if I could find the A-hole that Compaq keeps giving kick-backs to, and wipe them out... hmmmm life would be nice.

I think FALARAK and I are computer cousins, that have been through it all.

Anyone knows of a good HP shop in the Phoenix metro area that needs help... I am looking!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine SUCKS! I'm using the only one that I will ever own right now. This thing has more bugs in it than a picnic in July!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The crux of the biscut is the apostrophy.
View Quote

[:D] As you can plainly see.

Guzzler - My experiences with Compaq servers differ from yours, but then again we have 3rd party hardware guys on site and don't rely on field support.  The only annoying problem we've seen is the false drive failure alerts due to outdated firmware.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top