Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2001 7:05:11 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,38200,00.html

"Starting this month, Loews theaters will begin asking customers to open up their bags as they enter movie houses – and security won't just be checking for outside food or drinks."

I know they have the right to refuse service to anyone, but Ka-Rist-All-My-Tea!  

I wonder how many people who are legally carrying concealed are going to Break the Law by opening thier purse, fanny pack, etc. and having thier gun discovered?

In Texas, at least, you cannot just 'open your bag' and show someone that you have a gun, even if they ask/demand, unless they are a peace officer.

If you do so, it is illegal, and you can lose your license and even be prosecuted for failing to conceal.

Imagine this scene:

Unwitting customer, who is just trying to follow  the nice request from the door person, opens thier purse/fanny packet to allow the person to see they have no bomb, etc.  

Bingo!  There is a gun!

Cops are called over and realize that this person has just displayed a weapon in a manner that is NOT concealed.  Patron is handcuffed/arrested/charged, other customers are spooked!

Cops would be right for arresting the person, and the concealed weapons permit holder would have been FLAT WRONG according to the law to display the weapon!

This is getting ridiculous.

Obey the law and a law abiding (extensively background checked-ain't-no-terrorist) is refused service.

Lemme guess, the permit holder should just find some 'other' manner in which to carry?  At what point do they start requiring a 'pat-down' before entering?  [pissed]

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't carry your gun in a bag.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Politely refuse.

We Americans can not allow our rights to be stripped from us in this way.

Soon, we will all become accustomed to people checking through our pockets, our wives purses and in our belongings.

Nope, no thanks.

If they want my ticket money, they will not make a big deal out of it, if they don't want my ticket money, someone eventually will and will cater to my needs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I just got finished sending them an email saying  that I would not patronize their theaters any longer.

concealed handgun, not legal, blah blah blah.

I seriously doubt it does any good, but who knows.

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is a theater checking bags in the firstplace??  Is there a rumor going around that terrorists are planning to blow up popcorn machines??  These people are really overreacting now!  

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Talk about overreaction....

I agree about the theaters, and so many other places overreacting to terrorism.

A student in one of my classes, related this story that happened to her, yesterday...

She is taking her mother to work at a local, state-run, mental hospital.

She is simply going to drop her mother off at the door.  She drives past the security checkpoint (rent-a-cop-in-a-box).

When she stops, a security guard comes out the front door, demanding that she return to the security guard post and receive a pass (100 feet from the front entrance).  

The security guard refuses to let her mother (who works there, and the security guard knows her by name!) out of the vehicle, until the vehicle returns to the gate and gets a pass!

They return and get the pass.

When asked why they were made to return for a pass, after it was obvious that this was only an identified-employee being dropped off, they were told, "We knew you, but we didn't know about the driver, they might have been a terrorist!"

This is even more hilarious when you realize that the student, who was driving, is white, 19 yrs old, robust, as meek acting, sounding, behaving as a kitten, female, who had been identified as "My daughter!"  by the known employee....

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Response from Loews....

Subject: Re: Customer Service - US-Texas - Dallas - Searching Patrons
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:38:54 -0500
To: [email protected]

Dear Mr. Allen:

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write us.

We are trying to provide the safest environment for our patrons and
currently exploring and testing various methods. Currently, patrons
packages, backpacks, large pocketbooks, briefcases and shopping bags are
being inspected by security at a couple of test movie theatre locations. We
apologize in advance for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.  We truly value your patronage.

Regards,

Arthur Luiz
Guest Services Coordinator

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I sent Mr. Luiz a response:

My response is, you do know that by doing this, you open yourself up for the
liability for any person who does get something by your "Highly trained,
non-minimum wage earning security staff" don't you?

I will not be patronizing any theatre that does not allow me to protect my
family or myself in a way I deem suitable.

Thanks for your time, hope your company does not go the way of the airlines
(I don't really think the US Government will bail you out).

Best regards,
Bill
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
What?  You thought it was just going to be the airports?  Dude, *everyone* is going to get in on the search and seizure act now.  It's only a matter of time before we have fortified checkpoints on the highways, too.  Once you're on the slippery slope, there's no climbing back up.

But don't worry about Loews theatres.  I'll bet I could carry my .44 Redhawk in without being detected by their searchers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Politely refuse.

We Americans can not allow our rights to be stripped from us in this way.

Soon, we will all become accustomed to people checking through our pockets, our wives purses and in our belongings.

Nope, no thanks.

If they want my ticket money, they will not make a big deal out of it, if they don't want my ticket money, someone eventually will and will cater to my needs.
View Quote

I totally agree.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Screw em...If they want me to flash them my handgun thats fine with me. Its private property and it's their private property, so the police will be hard pressed to find a CHL violation, in Texas anyways. Hell, I just as soon open carried anyways. Maybe some of those loud asses that always have to talk during the movie will see I have a gun and give me a little respect [}:D]

Michael
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Dude!  You get in trouble for someone seeing your weapon in Texas?!  HA HA HA HA!  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  I thought it was a free state.  Here, you can open carry anywhere you can concealed carry.  If you "flash" a weapon it simply means a LEO could request your CCW for proof of license.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#15]
They will not be getting my business anymore.  Idiots.

Damnit TheRedGoat, not one spelling mistake in your posts.  But I'll get you.  You'll see.[;)]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I sent Mr. Luiz a response:

My response is, you do know that by doing this, you open yourself up for the
liability for any person who does get something by your "Highly trained,
non-minimum wage earning security staff" don't you?

I will not be patronizing any theatre that does not allow me to protect my
family or myself in a way I deem suitable.

Thanks for your time, hope your company does not go the way of the airlines
(I don't really think the US Government will bail you out).

Best regards,
Bill
View Quote

I should have you write letters to some of MY congresscritters!

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds to me like they are using this "search" to look for people sneaking in food and beverages!  Just using the whole "terrorist" thing to take advantage of people!  Bastards!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like they are using this "search" to look for people sneaking in food and beverages!  Just using the whole "terrorist" thing to take advantage of people!  Bastards!
View Quote

well like how is it said [i]duh![/i]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe the mentality of a place like Blockbuster and others who post a sign "No firearms allowed". Don't they realize that the only people who would obey are honest people. The criminal who wants to rob the store just got an engraved invitation saying it is safe for him to do so. Next time you CCW guys see a sign like this posted, please explain to these idiots what they are saying to the criminal. "Don't worry this place is safe to rob, no one will take you down"
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can't believe the mentality of a place like Blockbuster and others who post a sign "No firearms allowed". Don't they realize that the only people who would obey are honest people. The criminal who wants to rob the store just got an engraved invitation saying it is safe for him to do so. Next time you CCW guys see a sign like this posted, please explain to these idiots what they are saying to the criminal. "Don't worry this place is safe to rob, no one will take you down"
View Quote

Very good point, Stronghorn.  Maybe those same people should put a sign in front their house saying, "We do not approve of firearms in our home."
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#21]
They are looking for
people who sneak in candy
from an outside source.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Many states forbid CCW holders from taking a firearm onto private property if the owner of the private property forbids them to do so.  In other words, CCW permits do not allow some to carry in places where the owner does not allow it.  

Of course, since the private property owner is not a government agency, constitutional "rights" do not restrict them (we all know constitutional rights do not restrict private citizens).  
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Oh I am going OFF on this one!!!

Here is the URL link to their contact page:

[url]http://www.loewscineplex.com/contact/contact.html[/url]

Stay tuned...

---------------------------

Text of message transmitted via their site:

As a result of Loews Theater's decision to initiate a policy of personal searches upon entry of a theater facility, I am initiating a well organized boycott and media campaign against Loews Cinemas. There is nothing of precedent to dictate this policy of blatant violation of personal privacy.

American citizens will not permit paranoid fear to jeopardize individual freedoms. Unless Loews Cinema has some specific evidence to a potential threat of theater patrons, it has no reason or right to usurp what has been guaranteed to every American citizen by our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Of course any enterprise has the right to establish policies for their establishment and use of its private property. But the public also has a right to mount a boycott and media assault on those entities who trample on personal liberties out of paranoia.

I urge the executive management of Loews to immediately cease this activity or face the consequences.

-------------------------------------

I have also transmitted the message to several ClearChannel media outlets where I have strong contacts, the ACLU (go figure), and several prominant papers.

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#24]
This probably isn't going to be a problem.

There are very, very few arrests of CHL holders in Texas for "Unlawful Carry by a License Holder" or Criminal Trespass by a License Holder" the two offenses in question.

If I went to the situation outlined above, I would not arrest the License Holder, and I am hard pressed to think of anyone I work with who would, either.

The only time I have even considered filing Unlawful Carry charges was with a DWI who was carrying (it is illegal to be drunk and carry). I didn't, file it, which may or may not have been a mistake, but there was no reason to add any more charges to this guy (besides the DWI, he was carrying some dope).

The law has a lot of strange offenses that people may be in technical violation of at times, but common sense and good judgement overide that on many occasions.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Both of our local theatres have little stickers inside the ticket window that babble out 'Concealed Weapons Prohibited.'

Too damned bad.

The way I look at it, that's about stupid. It's a concealed weapon. If they know I have it, i'm not doing a very good job of concealing it, am I?

So I conceal it properly, inconspicuously, and carry anyway.
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I HAVE GOT TO MOVE TO TEXAS
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top