Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 4:40:32 PM EDT
My Father complained of severe back pain 27 days ago...
He died this afternoon...27 days of pain and suffering.
He was a simple man who supported his family and fought for his country in WWII.
27 G-DAMN days...

Another of the Greatest Generation is gone.

I just needed to vent gang, I think I can finally cry.

Geo
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry for your loss.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
As a cancer survivor who has also survived the loss of friends and family to this horrible disease, my deepest sympathy and prayers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My condolences on your loss, I know how it feels. My mum passed away in 1999 after fighting Ovarian cancer for 5 years. Her last 8 months were hell. But she just wouldn't give up and die.

I still miss her, and I have dreams where we are hanging out. Those usually make me wake up in tears because at some point during the dream I realize she's not really here.

Healing takes a long time, especially when it is someone so important in your life. My dad is still messed up, but we live real close, so we have him over all the time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Madkiwi

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I lost my Mother to cancer when I was 15. I can honestly say I know how you feel and it sucks. My prayers are with you and your family. Keep the happiest memories in your mind, it helps.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to hear about your father, AAA.  My wife and I lost three of our parents within 15 months of each other a few years back... so we can certainly relate.

Glad to hear your father didn't have to suffer any more than he did.  Good luck to you, brother.  He's in a better place now, and wouldn't trade places with any of us on this planet.

Sincerely,
ARnSC
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sorry for your loss.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
View Quote

What he said!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear of your loss....on the home front my wife had her thyroid removed last thursday due to a couple of growths on it....doctor said not to worry about cancer too much because only about 2% of that type growth are malignant....well guess what....he called yesterday and said one of the two growths removed is in fact malignant....he tells us to wait a couple of weeks for surgery to heal and then he'll discuss options....one was radiation and another was radioactive iodine....for now it's wait and see....Dick
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]
My father also complained of severe back pain. Turned out to be a nasty case of colon cancer.

Yesterday was his las chemo treatment this year. He looks much better after his surgery. Keiser kept blaiming all his symptoms on diabities.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Cancer SUCKS.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My mother died of cancer on Sept. 7, 1993. She had first been diagnosed with cancer back in 1988, but she had a hysterectomy and we had thought that the doctors had caught it in time.

Not so. It reoccurred in 1992, and she underwent both chemo-therapy and radiation treatments, that may have prolonged her life, but at the cost of much more pain (IMHO).

She was afraid of death to some degree, but when she collapsed that Tuesday morning and we rushed her to the hospital, it was apparent that her life was drawing to a rapid close.

She asked me if she were going to die that day, and I told her that, yes, it was most likely that she would be with Jesus that evening.

Somehow that seemed to cheer her up, and we spent the rest of the day chatting about things that mothers and sons talk about in such times.

I read to her from her Bible, and around 6:00 that evening, she began to become very tired and was drifting off to sleep.

Throughout that day I had asked her if she really knew how much I loved her, and how much all of her children and grandchildren loved her. Finally, at around 7:00, I asked her yet again, and, with what were to become her final words, she breathlessly replied 'I..love..you.'

I sat there on her bed, with her cradled in my arms, reading Psalms 23 over and over to her softly, knowing that hearing is usually the last of the senses to depart the dying, and  knowing that the next voice she would hear would indeed be those from that Good Shepherd, whose lamb she had been throughout her life.

At 8:30, the doctor and a nurse came into the ICU room where my mother and I were, to check on her condition. The doctor examined her and said to me, basically, that her struggle was  over and that the only thing keeping her with us were the machines.

I told him that she was ready and that he had my permission to discontinue any further efforts to keep her with us. The machines were stopped, they left, and once again I was alone with my mother.

'Heavenly Father, into Your Hands, I commit the soul of my mother, Dolores.' I kissed her face and then I gently handed her off to Jesus.  

At that moment, I felt more alone than I had ever felt in my entire life, or would ever feel again, hopefully.

Eric The(ThankYouForListening)Hun
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
...fought for his country in WWII.
View Quote

Another one lost.  I know this might sound lame, but every single day I worry about a world without the positive influence of WWII vets.  Maybe, it's already upon us.z
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
AAA, very sorry to hear of your loss, may God help and comfort you through your sorrow.

Eric...that story moved me, deeply. You sound like quite a guy.

Cloak-
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Having both my parents still,  I can't really even guess at how much pain you must be in but I'd like to offer my sincerest condolences.  My Grandfather died of lymphatic cancer and it was a long, ugly five years.  He went from 240 lbs to under 100 lbs.  It is horrible to lose a parent but take some comfort in the quick end.  It seems cruel to you,  the speed with which this happened but it was a great blessing to your father.

Take comfort in the fact that he's now moved on to a much better plane of existence and will wait there happily until the rest of his family joins him.  Grieve for the time you will be away from your father but be glad he went very quickly and without a long drawn out horrible illness.

Hang in there,  it'll get better eventually and in time,  you will be reunited with him.

Matt
Crashburnrepeat
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hear of your loss.

My Grandmother had at least four different cancers in the last 30 or so years of her life and survived all of them.  One was when I was very young which resulted in removal of her uterus, etc. and required cobalt treatments.
Another was bladder cancer detected early, removed and needing no radiation.  Another was colon cancer, which was cut out successfully.  And the last, two and a half years ago was skin (basal cell carcinoma) cancer again removed successfully.

Although we lost her a little over a year ago to heart and renal failure, and miss her dearly, we realize how lucky she was throughout her life to catch the cancers early.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry for your loss! Lost mine in 92 to cancer. Vet, Battle of bulge ,wounded but made it back. Married after war worked for power co. till he retired at 65 diagnosed at 66 died at 67. I miss him alot.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry about the loss of your dad AAA.  My prayers are with you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
AAA

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.  It is a very sad day indeed.

I lost my dad about 2 and 1/2 years ago - Eric's story reminded me so much of my last conversation with my dad that it's taken me a few to be composed enough to write this.  Mom followed dad into the arms of the Lord this spring.

There is nothing so emotionally shocking as realizing that you are now "the oldest generation" in your family.  I still ahve some uncles and aunts, but somehow they seem more distant now.

As most have said, time will help, but you will never forget them.

Again, my sincerest condolences for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:42:12 PM EDT
[#19]
 God be with you and yours, AAA.  I have lost most of my family to cancer.  I have no uncles and only 2 aunts (of 8) left.  Cancer sucks, I cannot think of a worse way to die.  You may not see it, but 27 days is a mercy of God.  It killed both of my uncles, within weeks of each other, and took years doing it.
 Losing your dad is like being stripped of your armor.  Fire a salute over him, and remember him always.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.
Greg
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#21]
My sincere condolences on the loss of your father. Stay strong.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you all,
I have always had a hard time dealing with death and your words and sympathy have helped greatly.

Geo  
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#23]
AAA:

I too am so very sorry to hear of your fathers passing. I lost my mother last year but after a long illness, I had time to prepare myself. Let me add that I and my wife have you and yours in our prayers.

AAA, you might also take this opportunity to research and write down your fathers history. His life growing up, his service to his country, things like that. Not only will it help you in your grieving process, but your children and their children will benefit from knowing about their grandfathers history.

God Bless
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:01:53 AM EDT
[#24]

My condolences AAA.  My father was diagnosed with Small Cell cancer in the lung October of last year.  In April it was discovered in his brain and 17 days later he died.  My thoughts will be with you during this time.

..........Keith
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#25]
aaa, my condolences to you and your family.

my story is very similar to ericthehun's (1994). my mother beat breast cancer in 1955, but not the cancer that took her life.

we need to beat this disease like we did with polio and smallpox.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Within the last six years, I have lost BOTH of my parents to the big "C". My most sincere condolences to you and your family. Now I have no family, other than my 2 dearest beloved children from my former marrage.

I

sorry, nevermind
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Lost a kidney to cancer in Nov.2000.  Vent, cry and remember the good times.  yes, cancer sucks and my prayers are definitely with you and yours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top