Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2001 10:16:44 AM EDT
Or you could lose your money and have no recourse.

New Federal regulations.

In July I sent a payment to RIFLESHOOTER magazine.  They claimed they never got it and threatened a collection agency.

Turns out the check was cashed/deposited by a NORWEST CO in Denver.  Just stamped, not endorsed.

Checking with my credit union, there isn't much we can do.  They are trying to pursue it, but new Federal regulations have exempted checks less than $15.  (mine was $14.97)

Now my guess is the payment ended up in the wrong PO box and just got deposited.  All well and good, but I can't locate the company that cashed it.

For those that cry Fraud!, yep, maybe, but it doesn't seem to matter.

SOL.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Rifleshooter won't accept a copy of the cancelled check as prrof of payment?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Rifleshooter won't accept a copy of the cancelled check as prrof of payment?
View Quote

RIFLESHOOTER didn't cash the check, this NORWEST CO cashed it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#3]
My father once told me a story about his friend who got a credit card, but didn't use it. He kept getting bills demanding he pay off his balance of zero dollars and zero cents or they would take legal action.

To fix the problem he send them a check for zero dollars and zero cents. The Bank called him a week or so later and yelled him because his check for zero dollars and zero cents crashed the bank's computer. Not only that, but the check for zero dollars and zero cents bounced which ment he was hit with fines from his bank!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI... The Norwest up here is owned by Wells Fargo bank.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Whelp, I guess I complained enough.

The credit union is going to "return" the check to the Federal Reserve and the Feds will have to figure out who got the money.

Bottomline - should be finished.  They've credited my account.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate banks.  The consumer is always getting the shit end of the stick.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My father once told me a story about his friend who got a credit card, but didn't use it. He kept getting bills demanding he pay off his balance of zero dollars and zero cents or they would take legal action.

To fix the problem he send them a check for zero dollars and zero cents. The Bank called him a week or so later and yelled him because his check for zero dollars and zero cents crashed the bank's computer. Not only that, but the check for zero dollars and zero cents bounced which ment he was hit with fines from his bank!
View Quote

[url]www.snopes.com/business/consumer/zero.htm[/url]

This is an old CS story of indeterminate veracity...

Viper Out
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the link. Here is one that I know is true.

My Aunt works for the Museum of Tolerance in CA (it's near or in LA). They receive checks from all over the world, including Canada. Many Canadians unfortunately post-date their checks and the Museum has to pay the fines. The value of the fines are usually larger than the value of the check. Unfortunately this is a large number of the Canadian checks.

Here is another interesting fact. The Museum of Tolerance has a lot of security because it is a domestic terrorist target. (It is mostly about the holocaust.)
BTW, thanks for the spell check button!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top