Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 6:18:13 AM EDT
So I was curious if anyone here knew about the CO CCW laws. Namely I heard the city of Stratton(not sure) was pretty much issuing to whoever came by. Does it cost $$$ and is there a class invovolved?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I heard the same thing about Stratton.  I think that you just pay around $90.00, get fingerprints and pictures and you're all set.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#2]
So there is no class or qualification??

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it's a county thing??

I've never checked into one but I seem to think our local sheriff requires you to pass the same qualifying course his deputies do.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
It might be. I think that they are issued per county and then valid in the whole state, though I've heard a bunch of the metro area chiefs of police being the civic minded folks that they are are trying to reinterpret that law to say it is only valid where it was issued. This was mainly since stratton started issuing CCW to metro area residents that could not get CCW from their local chief of police because "we just don't do that here"

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I have checked into this Stratton thing, and results are as follows:
One submits the form, fee, and then waits for approx 3-4 months, as Stratton is overwhelmed with requests for CCW right now.
The permit would be valid anywhere in the state of CO, *except* the City of Denver, if you happen to be a Denver resident.
You can thank the fat commie pig Mayor Webb for that little trick.
In the meantime, while waiting for your permit to be approved, you can almost count on the sheriff of Stratton being forced to stop issuing to non county residents.
The anti gunners have used a lot of dirty tricks to shut down "rogue" sheriffs before, and are proably in the process of doing it again.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Well that pretty much bites; namely since I happen to live in the peoples paradise of Denver...

Is there any way to get a CCW out of the Denver Sherrif/whoever??

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I think your chances of boulder becoming a right wing mecca is better
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have heard that about Denver and some surrounding cities also.  That is too bad.  Luckily I live in western CO and got my permit with no problem.
I can also carry in my car in Denver, but apparently Denver residents can't.

(f)     It shall not be an offense under 38-117(a) or 38-117(b) if the person is carrying the weapon concealed within a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of such person's or another person's person or property, while travelling into or through the city to or from another jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in the city or the other jurisdiction, and the weapon is not an explosive device, incendiary device, or a bomb.

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Not sure if you are aware of this, Harlikwin, but a few years back, Webb railroaded an "anti-gang" set of laws through the Denver City Council. (Presumably to keep his own, multiple-felony son from getting shot by hostile victims, I guess.)
At any rate, there is written into this little communist gem, a law stating that you may not carry *any* weapon, loaded, unloaded, locked in a case in your trunk......ANYWHERE in your vehicle, or risk forfeiture of your vehicle.
This includes big knives, unloaded target guns on the way to the range, and of course, any personal protection guns.
Now, since many hunters threatened to avoid Denver altogether because of this nonsense, and this would cost the city *money*,  the law was amended to only apply to Denver residents.
Quite a few cars have been seized this way, and even an NRA sticker can constitute probable cause.
What are we, as responsible Denver gun owners faced with, if we want to go to the range?
Drive like you have a cop in your trunk.
Have all your paperwork with you and in order.
And hope you never get stopped and jacked by DPD, as your unloaded 10/22, cased and locked in your trunk, could cost you your vehicle.
Oh, and btw, *all* "evil assault guns" are BANNED in the City of Denver, not "must be licensed", just flat banned.
Even an M1 Carbine falls under their definitions.
Elect someone else you say?
Good friggin luck, these clowns sweep the elections every time, thanks to our ethnic mix here in the city. Webb is black, all the homies and mexicans vote for his commie ass every time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahh sweet...

Actually I wasn't aware of most of that... And my guns at this point don't live with me as I have no room for them.

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
It is unlawful to carry, store, keep, manufacture, sell or otherwise possess within the City and County of Denver a firearm defined as an "assault weapon" or to carry, store or otherwise possess a magazine that holds or may be modified to hold 21 or more rounds for a firearm. Exceptions to this ordinance are (1) a person who obtained an "assault weapon" legally prior to the effective date of the ordinance, filed a permit application within 60 days of the effective date of the ordinance with the police department, and was issued a permit; (2) transportation by a non-resident through the city.

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Hannah, tell us how you *really* feel.  :)

Not sure if this is just Boulder County or a state thing, but here's a web page of the BO County Sheriff's office that gives their requirements: [url]http://www.co.boulder.co.us/sheriff/concealed_weapon.htm[/url]  (of course, they were last updated in 1997, so not sure if things have changed or not).

They do require some proof of a course fo firearms handling and use, but an NRA course or hunting license will suffice.

Has anyone attempted to acquire a CCW through that office?  I've been meaning to call them to see what the chances are, but have never gotten around to it.  I've heard that Epp does issue, but that they weigh heavily on "need."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top