Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 3:31:03 PM EDT
Rumor mill has it that they are in Chapter 7.  I got a check from them some time ago with "debtor in posession" written under the store name, so there's some truth to that.  Any confirmation?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Daisy?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
sucks if they are but they have to be the most rudest store i've ever been to.Ended up walking out not wanting the gun i went in to buy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I had the same experience as ar15robert. Left very unsatisfied. They also charge ridiculous prices for transfers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Haven't been there in about 3 months, but a friend of mine was just in there and said the prices were through the roof and the selection sucked!  He went to Turners in Reseda after that and a salesman said that B&B was going out of business.  Why wouldn't they with a crappy selection and prices through the roof?  It's really sad because they were once the best shop in Los Angeles IMO.  Has anyone noticed that the sign out front has said "We are moving" for like a year or more?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
B&B used to have some good weekly sales ad's. Now they never include prices in the ad's. The only way I will buy a gun from them is with sale ad in hand, "give me one of these at this price". Ed is the only guy I can stand dealing with at the Wesminster store, and thats becuase he used to work at True Outdoorsman and On-Target, where you actually had to be polite to the customers.

Pat works at OSA now.

The rest of the B&B staff can live in a soup kitchen for all I care.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
B&B is great as long as your idea of a pleasant shopping experience means being ignored, then getting piss poor service and finishing it off with serious price gouging.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not sad at all to see the go for all the reasons mentioned here. I am glad to see Arrowhead close thier doors also.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
B&B used to have some good weekly sales ad's. Now they never include prices in the ad's. The only way I will buy a gun from them is with sale ad in hand, "give me one of these at this price". Ed is the only guy I can stand dealing with at the Wesminster store, and thats becuase he used to work at True Outdoorsman and On-Target, where you actually had to be polite to the customers.

Pat works at OSA now.

The rest of the B&B staff can live in a soup kitchen for all I care.
View Quote

you go back along ways i remember when true outdoorman opened up i bought my very first gun from them bought from miles he also worked at b&b he was a good guy.I used to go to on target about twice a week to take practice with a 44 mag i owned.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll say this about B&B in Westminster, they consistently had the best prices on Glocks in the area. I bought mine there.

Shorty

[edited to change "clocks" to "Glocks" before someone called me on it.]  [:-)]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#10]
B&B years ago was the place to go to buy a firearm of any type...as some have mentioned above, it reeks now. Business practices of B&B have destroyed that place, not to mention this effed up state. Went to Westminster a little while ago and it was unbelievable the prices they were asking. Arm Usa in Anaheim is much better, the folks over there are awesome, knowledgable and excited to have your business.

I am in no way associated with Arm Usa..although they have a ton of my money and I should be.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Arm Usa in Anaheim is much better, the folks over there are awesome, knowledgable and excited to have your business.
View Quote

Could you post their address?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Started going to BnB over 20 yrs. ago.  They had absolutely the best prices in So. Cal.  Did well over 10K in business from them until '99.  Put $500 deposit on a Bushy Dissipator.  They said it would be about 8 wks. before they came in.  Well, it never did. After about 5 months towards the end of the year they called and said they had a shorty "for only $200 MORE.  Remember this was the last chance in Ca to get an AR.  I told them to F...off.  Bought a shorty elsewhere and swore that Never Again Will I Do Business with them, and I haven't.
BTY: it took many months ands threats of Small Claims Court to get my deposit back.
I can't say I feel bad about their closing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you think maybe the regulatory climate had anything to do with their decline?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
ARM USA
1538 N. State College Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 520-4600

[url]http://www.50bmgstore.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#15]
bnb has had a mixed history over the years. back when it was possible to have ar and such, they had probably one of the largest mix of such firearms in the area. bnb was, if i recall, the store that loaned ar's to the police when the infamous north hollywood bank robbery happened, and the police were outgunned by the bank robbers. rumour has it that bnb also got in trouble for lending the firearms out to the police, because no paper work showing transfer of these firearms were filled out or something like that (anybody have the full info?).

anyway, since the full aw ban has gone in effect, and many of the handguns are now illegal to sell without testing, or are to small/ "dangerous" due to lack of safeties/easily concealed, bnb has lost a lot of their selection and variety in their stock. the few times that i had been by the store, they appeared to be busy still, but the crowds have seemed to be much lighter than in the past.

the most recent thing with bnb that i can recall was that they were charging a fee to do a private party transfer, and someone to offense to it. someone tried to shut bnb down back then.

i usually bypassed bnb and went to turners also. i have, however, purchased some consignment (read used) guns from bnb, though - like others have mentioned, there were some attitudes there...
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I had too many horror stories to tell about customer service at the Westminster store. To put it bluntly, they are just a bunch of assholes. Treated me and my friends like they were doing us a favor and we worked for them. Over time this will bring any company down.

So I am happy to see them go, teaches asswipes a lesson.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Ed is about the only person in Westminster store who has a sense of humor.  Mile the former store manager has since moved on to Libery Safe store in Orange.

Arrowhead is gone too.  I was told that they lost their lease.  My guess is Gold Coast will be next.  It's the only place that out-gouge BnB, not to mention having half the store dedicated to stuff that will never sell.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Long ago B n B was the place to actually see all the cool stuff you've been reading about in the gun rags.

I bought a high dollar precision rifle from them, frankly they were the only game in town because of limited production on that particular item.

Later, like a month later, I bought a Bennelli AND a Ruger SP101 on the same day, and they wouldn't even acknowledge that I deserved a break on the price because of the TON of money I was spending there.

That was the last time I went in there.

A couple years later, I sent my brother in law there to look for an IDPA suitable holster, they treated him like crap and he'll never go back.

Since then, I get my reloading stuff at Excalibur on Beach, and my hardware at ARM USA, great folks and great toys there.

As has been said on this thread before, you reap what you sow, those assholes can F off.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#20]
B&B had only one salesman I felt like talking to.  They used to have good prices on Glocks and other items I was interested in.  Now the prices are not so special and the stock is LOW!!!!!!....no HK's at all in my last visit a week ago and maybe only 5 Glock models.

Gold Coast has a nice new shop with good stock levels.  The prices are not low but they occasionally have a special that is attractive.

Turners is probably the best at customer service. I asked them to look into ordering a HK P7 and they called me right back and gave me the sad information that they were on 6 mos. backorder and no one seems interested in discounting them.

Fowler's (got it confused with the Armory next door) in Orange has a lot of stock and is worth a look if you're in the neighborhood.  Not the lowest prices but who is now?  And if your in this neighborhood there's another Turner's nearby.

Arm USA looked OK but seemed limited in stock, mostly HK, and 50 BMG stuff along with gunsafes.

Never did make it to a gunstore in Vegas as the wife was busy dragging me to antique and quilt places.....and it was 115.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I was told today that B&B is in Chapter 11, not 7.  So maybe they will live to see another day.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
B&B years ago was the place to go to buy a firearm of any type...as some have mentioned above, it reeks now. Business practices of B&B have destroyed that place, not to mention this effed up state. Went to Westminster a little while ago and it was unbelievable the prices they were asking. Arm Usa in Anaheim is much better, the folks over there are awesome, knowledgable and excited to have your business.

I am in no way associated with Arm Usa..although they have a ton of my money and I should be
Thats were i now go to close to my house and frank and jo are great people all my gun stuff i buy from them now even reloading prices are great but its the service i get.they treat me well EVERY time i go there even go by just to say hi here and there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had very good luck with The Stockade in Westminster, and their sister store Fowler's Gun Room in Orange. Both are "real" gun stores and the people there know their stuff.

Stockade is a medium sized store and Fowler's is HUGE.

Here is their website:

http://www.fowler-stockade.com/
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#24]
YAY![bounce]

Those guys are a bunch of jackasses[-!-!-] , i went in there more than once to buy something and those clowns never once offered any help.

this is a happy day! [beer]

Paper

[bday]

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Everytime I try and access Fowler-Stockade my computer locks up...bummer. What does Gold Coast sell? Crap? C&R?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]
My experieces at goldcoast have been good it was on the way home when i lived in long beach they have moved their store to goldenwest st in hb.they use to specialize in ars but has since switched to mias, prk legal guns,and camping and fishing gear,Does sell hand guns too its been about 8-10 months since i've been there so i couldnt give you an answer to the selection But the staff is friendly and helpful there too.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Bad service and rude sales folk, mark the decline and fall of any retail business.  As I mentioned earlier, that Nov. 1999 incident, at B & B was the last straw.  Also had a few bad experiences with  Turners about 8 yrs ago.  They had some real jerks at the South Bay store.
I had been doing business with them, since '78 (they were called Andrews then). Well, the Nazi, redneck, skinhead racist dogs at the SB store apparently didn't care about the 15K business association I had with them. I was ignored and got the cold shoulder, and treated like feces every time I went in there. One too many times I stood there with $600 in my hand ready to buy something, only to stand and wait while the Neanderthals there finished their speaches about Niggers, Wetbacks and White Supremacy.   Wrote the corporation, stopped doing business with them for a year.  I then sent them copies of my receipts going back to '78.  
They wrote back, said they had a new crew. apologized and asked me to give them a second chance.  I did, and I now do business with them again.
My point is, when I receive lousy service I always write and I complain to the powers that be.  Sometimes it effects change.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#28]
B&B = most guys are really rude, a-hole, with attitude.  Act like they know it all but are real dumb-asses.

Only thing the store is good for is to research the guns or scopes that you want and then to go buy them somewhere else, including on-line or from one of the good guys here on ar15.com

Oh- they also stock a good selection of gun magazines, but they ain't good for much else.

Arrowhead Outdoor Sports - Chris, the owner - a real jerk off a-hole and if you ask me, a crook.  

Gold Coast - I like that store !  Good selection, friendly staff, nice and roomy, good displays.   Prices are high, but I like it.

Grant Boys,  my favorite.  Most guys there are ok. Selection is kind of light, prices are so-so, but I like it.  Only one a hole there - the short manager guy - think he has Napoleon's short man's complex.

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Makes me appreciate my local dealer that much more. He took a bunch of us to the range to shoot his ammo and his full autos, and any time of the day he'll offer to sit and have a beer. Or order lunch. Or talk about cars. Or women. Or motorcycles.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:04:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Gold Coast is a pretty good store.  Friendly staff and easy to talk to.  Been about eight months since I was there, time to go back.  Think I'll check out ARM USA also.

Got the same treatment Big Bear did when I went into the Stockade, also.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Man,
I thought I had it bad in Illinois.  
Anyways, I was at my local FFL, or what the old timers call it, "the mens club".  I was there for about 11/2hrs, sat around and B.S'ed about shit.  
The owner even gave me a cigar to puff on when I was there.  
Got some 9mm. A 20 round mini-14 mag for $15. Also some blanks in .223 and 7.62.  Also got some neat jewish 7.62*51 rounds that the bullet is actually wood!
c-rock
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of guys.  [;D]

For my money, I'd go to Arm USA.  These guys are especially good with precision rifles.  Or I'd go to Tuan's in Rowland Heights.  Great selection, decent prices and good service.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#34]
While I hate to see anyone in the firearms business experience trouble, I'm not really sorry that B&B is in jeopardy. I'm also gratified to learn that they weren't singling me out for crappy, rude service.

I'm reasonably happy with Turners and Gold Coast. I've yet to visit Arm but the recommendations here make the likelihood high. Sinced I'm in South OC, I've been known to make the trip to Precision Arms in Escondido.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#35]
PYamasaki,

What part of South O.C.?  San Clemente by any chance?

I've camped at the San Onofre/San Mateo campground which is right next to Camp Pendelton and I'm wondering if you're familiar with a shooting range near there.  Sunday's you can hear shots from the hills just west of the camping area and it sounds like there must be designated cease fires.

Are you at all familiar with this?  I'm pretty sure it's not part of Pendelton because it's west of Christianitos Road.  I wouldn't mind taking some toys next time I camp there.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've camped at the San Onofre/San Mateo campground which is right next to Camp Pendelton and I'm wondering if you're familiar with a shooting range near there.  Sunday's you can hear shots from the hills just west of the camping area and it sounds like there must be designated cease fires.
View Quote

You are hearing a Camp Pendelton rifle range. No outdoor ranges near San Clemente except on the base. Closest places to shoot would be On Target in Laguna Niguel and OSA in Oceanside.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What part of South O.C.?  San Clemente by any chance?

Are you at all familiar with this?  I'm pretty sure it's not part of Pendelton because it's west of Christianitos Road.  I wouldn't mind taking some toys next time I camp there.
View Quote

Interestingly, I [b]am[/b] in San Clemente. And I have heard gunfire (as well as what sounds like much bigger guns). But, as others have already pointed out, it's all coming from Camp Pendleton. I (along w/ others, I presume) lament the lack of long range shooting in OC. There's supposedly a skeet/trap range somewhere in San Clemente but I've yet to find it. And I don't shoot skeet or trap anyway.

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

wait, you say the west side of Christianitos?  There are no Marine small-arms ranges there; like i said they are on Basilone which are well inside Pendelton.  Hence, there might be a civilian range on the west side.

View Quote

The nuke plant has it's own range, but it is not open to the public.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, on my last two trips there, 1st week of August and last week of September, I definitely heard shots on both Sundays but not on Saturdays.

If you're at the San Mateo campground, the shots can be heard coming from the other side of the hill right across the road to the west of the campground.  My guess is that it is a private skeet range as I do believe what I heard was primarilly shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top