Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 12:22:41 PM EDT
Seems like every freakin week she is buying new clothes.  You would think she has everything she could possibly buy by now.  I would say she has some kind of a clothes fetish!  If only the money could be invested in firearms instead!  Any ways to wean her off the clothes?

AR_Shorty
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine does NOT.

But then, I got the best wife EVER!!!!

She doesn't even complain about my gun purchases.

Which are early and often.

AR_Shorty -

If she spends less on clothes than you spend on guns, then I'd say you are doing OK.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Guys,

My bride buys shoes, clothes, purses, makeup..I never say no.

Use it so that you can get that special accessory or new rifle or pistol, and if she balks just whip out the Amex bill for her card!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
She spends alot more than I do on guns.  I want alot but don't buy because I seem to be the only one with a mindset of "money don't grow on trees".  If I went out and bought everything I wanted too, we would be bankrupt.  I wish she would see things in this light.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy what I want within reason she buys what she wants reason be damned. Comparing card statements tends to stop the arguement but not the buying, been doing it this way for 20 years now.[bounce]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's see...... last month's bills:

Nordstrom:  $1800
Hecht's:    $ 600
Hair salon: $ 250

[size=4]YEP![/size=4]

Good thing she earns alot!
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes.  I woke up one day in February '94, the day that my new Harley came in, to find that we had over $20 grand in credit card debt.  I had the money to eventually cover it because I had just finished a good consulting gig, but ever since I have controlled the checkbook.  She had been hiding the checkbook & credit card statements.  I had a friend whose wife was doing the same thing because he had given her control over the finances & they were divorced just a few years later.  The moral of the story is that women do not need to put all of that money into clothes.  Those are nonproductive things that they just "re-purchase" every time that they look at them, i.e. "These pants make my ass look fat don't they?"  (A whole separate thread - How do you win that argument?) Me: "No they look fine."  Her: "No they don't."  Me: "Well then why did you buy them?"  Stony silence...

FYI - We talked over the HD purchase in 92 & ordered it in September 93.  We have always talked over any purchases of my "toys."
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
She spends alot more than I do on guns.  I want alot but don't buy because I seem to be the only one with a mindset of "money don't grow on trees".  If I went out and bought everything I wanted too, we would be bankrupt.  I wish she would see things in this light.
View Quote

Sounds like its a good time to have a heart to heart. Of course, the usual rules about tact and timing apply.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Sure, but if this was a wives forum they'd be asking Anyone's husband spend a sh*t load on guns/hunting. as long as you can afford it let them , then when you want a new gun or want to go to RSA hunting what can they do about it. Hell my taxidermy budget gets pretty high , as much as 5k one year, mines only argument is she makes me go over all the money stuff before I go "just in case" I step on a momba or cross a  pissed off buffalo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Nah, it only took me about 10 years to break her of that habit... and me of the habit of saying "well, the finances look like we might finally get ahead this month"

Those words in quotes would generate a Pavlovian response of rushing to the store and purchasing mass quantities of shoes, clothes and other outer wear.

I don't say that anymore, and she now slows me down on certain purchases (not the gun related ones, so far)
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife spends a boat-load of money monthly on clothes, it keeps her happy, it is a hobby of sorts and I enjoy what she buys (looking at it on her).

She really never complains about my hobbies, so why rock the boat?

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
[size=4]Hell, Yeah![/size=4]
Miz Hun is one of those 'high maintenance' womenz that we've all come to know and love!

It's truly scary to go through Neiman Marcus or Saks or Nordstrom and have the sales clerks wave and call to your wife by name!

Ah, but it's all part of the game, now isn't it?

And we wouldn't want it any other way![:D]

The real fun part is when you have her 'model' her new clothes for you!!!!! Which she is ever so willing to do!!!!

Eric The(JustDon'tLetThemKnowWhatYouPaidForThat'GreenLabel'Colt!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine likes clothes but knows how to find a good deal.  She is frugal like me and want to retire early.  Plus we have a couple of kid that have to get through college.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like Kpel and I were married to the same woman. Mine also spent tons on getting her nails done and had to, I mean [b]HAD TO[/b] have a new car twice a year.

I hear she's a PI now. I find that funny, she couldn't sneak up on a corpse.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I wish I could experience this marriage
thing some day.

Cripes, I'm sounding like Imbroglio. Where is 'da womenz.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I think women have a special buying gene.  My wife had filled three closets and three portable clothes bars, has about 100 pairs of shoes, etc.  And with all that, she still can't find anything to wear.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Give them a monthly allowance.  They can spend it on whatever they want.  Gas, food, clothes, misc, etc.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seems like every freakin week she is buying new clothes.  You would think she has everything she could possibly buy by now.  I would say she has some kind of a clothes fetish!  If only the money could be invested in firearms instead!  Any ways to wean her off the clothes?

AR_Shorty
View Quote

Can you get her to take up shooting?  Time at the range sounds a lot cheaper than what she's doing now.

My opinion: Her way of trying to have power/control in the relationship.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep.  LOTS of money but NOTHING compared to what I put into guns, shooting, reloading, travel, whitewater gear, photography gear and books.  

As far as I'm concerned, she can spend more if she wants.  She looks FANTASTIC in all of them and even better when they're in a pile on the floor.

CB
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Until Mrs Ops went back to work, the only way she got new clothes was when I bought them for her.  I am incredibly blessed with a frugal wife.  I do better at the grocery store, so guess who does the grocery thing?  Suits me, it's worth it to see her back to work, and lookin' sharp.  Plus the grocery budget that does not get spent goes into the gun fund...
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#24]
My first wife had a clothes thing. The strangest part of it was not the constant shopping but the fact the she had winter clothes and summer clothes. We lived in Houston. What winter. None the less when the calender said it's winter out came the winter clothes and the summer clothes got put away. It was still 90 degrees outside and she has on the latest in sweater fashion.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Have any of you ever read a book called The One Minute Manager? It's been a best seller among corporate management for over a decade, I just read it last week. It was very insightful on th management of people. I don't know if it'd apply in your cases, but it's a short read, so if you can find a local book store spare an hour and read it. (BTW, it's not just for business management, the lessons can be applied to all aspects of managing people, even personal relationships)

I never understood how people can spend so much on clothes. It seems that you only need so much to wear. I have a bit extra clothes because I'm lazy and wash my clothes every two weeks so i have enough for 2 weeks. But add in summer/winter I only have 3 weeks worth of clothes because there's 1 week that's good for mild weather like in Spring/Fall. I only have 3 pairs of shoes also. The ones I wear everyday, the boots I wear to hiking/paintball/outdoor, and a reserve pair of shoes. Plus, even my best shirts don't cost over $20, including my silk shirts and pajamas.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]
We had a small walk-in closet in the bedroom, but I couldn't walk in.  More shoes than Imelda Marcos and more clothes than the Salvation Army takes in a year.  When I added on to the house, I built a 6'x10' closet.  I have one 6' wall... she has the rest.  The shelves came crashing down three weeks later because of the amount of jeans piled on top of them.  The thing is, she doesn't buy hardly anything new... she loves the thrift/consignment stores.  You can get a $200 outfit for less than $5, and sometimes never worn.  And there had to be clothes for every season (although Tampa, FL has about one).  Don't get me started on the shoes!  Since she works part-time, I don't mind... it's her money and as long as she buys the groceries (I pay for everything else).  Every month, when the lazy-ass low-lifes and crazies get their government checks, I pack the truck with what she doesn't want, and head to the flea market.  I sell most of it for $1 to $2 a piece (more than what she paid in most instances) and bring home a couple of hundred bucks in return.  And as long as I can pay the bills, I can get pretty much what I want.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
She only spends a lot at Victoria's Secret and Frederick's of Hollywood.  And I never complain if she wants to buy some of those 5" heels.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow,

Listening to you guys makes me feel really lucky.  My future wife if very frugal and is trying to convince me (I did ask her to do it) to not impulse buy any more firearms related hardware.  She is pretty sneaky in the way she does it.  AR-15, she claims is as hers, Kimber, yep, she claims it as hers. Spent lots on an M1A, yep you guessed it, hers.

Hmmmm. Ya know she did just buy a new truck....

WooHoo, I get a new truck!!!!(I sure hope this logic works backwards....)

I'm glad to have her, she knows the value of a dollar, and helps me save mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top