Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2001 12:52:04 AM EDT
Check out Seti@home, they use your spare CPU cycles to search for extraterrestial intelligence.

[url]http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu[/url]

I've created a group for us called ar15.com.  First download the client and signup, then go to [url]http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=ar15.com[/url] and sign up on the ar15.com group.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
How do I sign up for th ar15 group?
How do I get a password? When I signed it it did not ask for one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#2]
from the main page click User Account Area and there is an option for them to email you your computer generated password.

So sign up for the group click the second link I listed and click Join
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Of course there are ET's,I heard Al Gore got his internet developement ideas from his visit to see space ship communication at area 51.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course aliens exist!  There is a whole title of the US code that deals with them:

http://[url]caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/8/toc.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I own an alien space craft.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw about 100 aliens today! They were roofing and bricking some of the new houses in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, Vato.  They are all over my ghetto.

---------
"I'm gonna git me a gat," heard under my apartment window little while ago.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#9]
How long have the SETIs been looking?  All they've found so far is static.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Is this all you jerks can do?  I mean seriously, how many religions do you need to crap upon before you're little ego's are inflated enough to feel comfortable with yourselves?

Just because I acknowledge Ze'aldubar as our creator and some of you choose to worship fictitious deities, does this give you the right to mock my "gods"?  I think not.

Grow up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
How does religion end up in every thread??
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Before you go looking for UFOs look at what is already out there.
[url]http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/RealTime/JTrack/3D/JTrack3D.html[/url]
ALLOW the pop-up, that is what you will be looking at.
Its all real time(the satalites move) and you can click on a dot and see its stats.  If you click the screen and move the mouse you can move the "look"
plus you can zoom in and out.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
... I did this for a while, it was an interesting conversation piece but ultimately decided that it was a waste of time and I uninstalled it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
damn, only one person joined up I was hoping to get a big ar15.com group on there

Dan
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
It sounds like a neat idea, but I ran that damn program on a spare machine at work and it was damn fucking greedy--used more than its fair share of CPU cycles and every other resource, including making the hard drive work overtime.  Every time you tried to use the computer it took a long time for the program to go into its sleep mode (actually a less resource-hoggy mode).  I finally bagged the damn thing.  Let SETI use their own damn computers.  I can't dedicate a machine solely to their cause.  Why can't someone figure out a way to *pay* people for their spare cycles?  

If there is life elsewhere in the galaxy, I hope it gives this planet a wide berth.  Then again, you'd think that in the milions of years in which this galaxy has existed, there would be at least one space-faring civilization by now.  In fact, there should be tons of them.  Where the hell are they then?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If there is life elsewhere in the galaxy, I hope it gives this planet a wide berth.  Then again, you'd think that in the milions of years in which this galaxy has existed, there would be at least one space-faring civilization by now.  In fact, there should be tons of them.  Where the hell are they then?
View Quote

Hey, maybe we are the first. Someone has to be first, why not us?

Of course, it's hard to believe we're the most advanced species out there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#20]
There's one living in Pahrump Nevada.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It sounds like a neat idea, but I ran that damn program on a spare machine at work and it was damn fucking greedy--used more than its fair share of CPU cycles and every other resource, including making the hard drive work overtime.  Every time you tried to use the computer it took a long time for the program to go into its sleep mode (actually a less resource-hoggy mode).  I finally bagged the damn thing.  Let SETI use their own damn computers.  I can't dedicate a machine solely to their cause.  Why can't someone figure out a way to *pay* people for their spare cycles?  

View Quote

You can set it to run just as a screen saver, also it should only run on the spare cycles and give priorty to other apps..?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Up to four... Thanks guys

Dan
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#23]
[email protected]
Your credit:

Name (and URL)  av_01  
Results Received  318  
Total CPU Time  3081 hr 13 min  
Average CPU Time per work unit  9 hr 41 min 21.7 sec  
Last result returned: Tue Nov 6 19:44:00 2001 UTC
Registered on: Fri May 14 20:23:25 1999 UTC
SETI@home user for: 2.485 years
Your group info:
You do not currently belong to a group.  
You are not currently the founder of any teams.  

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)

Your rank out of 3353797 total users is:  238434th place.  
The number of users who have this rank:  605  
You have completed more work units than  92.873% of our users.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#24]
There's no such thing as "spare cycles."  When you aren't sitting at the computer using it, the CPU is just sort of freewheeling--those are the "spare" cycles.  If the machine is running but not doing anything for you.

As I recall, there are ways to tune the program to use fewer resources, but it was making my hard disk wear out by caching data to it (or whatever it was doing, copying all my files for all I know).  So I punted it.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's no such thing as "spare cycles."  When you aren't sitting at the computer using it, the CPU is just sort of freewheeling--those are the "spare" cycles.  If the machine is running but not doing anything for you.
View Quote

That is a spare cycle, when the clock on your motherboard runs a cycle and cpu does nothing (no calculations) then you've just wasted it and its a spare one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top