Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2001 7:03:07 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting some guns insured.  How much are you guys paying on the $1000 for this insurance?  BTW, I have State Farm.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
First, talk to you insurance agent.

I found there were two choices, each with pros and cons.  First, you can just let your basic home-owners (or renters) policy cover the guns, or you can get a Personal Article Floater.

The personal article floater allowed for a lower deductible, and replacement for almost anything loss, including stuff like "left it at the range", or "dropped it down a sewer pipe".  The P.A.F. however, required full disclosure of all articles in advance, with receipts or appraisals.  I don't have receipts for everything in my collection, so this was out of the question for me.

Allowing basic home-owners to cover it had the benefit of not requiring full documentation of where the stuff came from and how much it cost.  Simple picture record, with serial numbers and descriptions given to the insurance company AFTER THE LOSS is adequate.  The drawback for this is that the guns are under a higher deductible than I'd like.

I have USAA, YMMV.

(Will I ever learn it's better to spell check before submitting than to have to come back and do it later?)
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
NRA members have free coverage (forgot how much)It  kicks-in after your homeowner insu. reaches the limit. I belive you can get more.
Call your agent to get a rider for additional coverage.  Most Homeowners only cover $1000 or $2000.  Additional coverage is a must, but some companies have a limit of $5000 or $10,000
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I will look into the NRA route.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Gun Safe, its the only insurance you will ever need..[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top