Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2001 4:08:08 PM EDT
Seeking legal advice on “returning a firearm” to seller.

I ordered a rifle from an out-of-state FFL. He sent the rifle to my FFL. I filled out the paperwork and my FFL called it in and I picked the rifle up after the waiting period. I do not like the rifle and called the seller (=out-of-state FFL) and he said that I could return it.

Now how do I do it?
Do I send it back?
Or should my FFL send it back?
How is it done legally?
What kind of paperwork do I need to do?
I do not want this gun to be associated with me after I returned it.

I would appreciate the advice of well-informed and experienced people.
Please respond in detail.
Thank you,
Regards,
FRIZ
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
FRIZ,

You can send it back.  There is no prohibition in Federal Law from an INDIVIDUAL (non-licensee, in ATF terms) sending a rifle to a DEALER (licensee).  Only the receiver has to be an FFL if you are shipping across state lines.  

The only thing I would do is make sure you are sending to a recognized business address (copy of the FFL, etc.), and keep all your shipping documents together.  

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top