Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2001 2:25:06 PM EDT
My wife tells me that the hospital she works at is getting rid of their old Narcotics Vault.  I have not seen it, but supposedly, it is large enough to walk into, has a very heavy door, and a combo lock.  

She asked me if I want her to see what they are going to do with it, and if they are going to toss it, if I want it.  (Kind of strikes me like her asking if I want Sex tonight--the answer to that SHOULD already be known).  

The only problem I forsee is moving such a heavy thing.  

Any ideas?

I can put it in storage for a while (no room at my apartment, anyway).  

Should I just get the door if worse comes to worse, and I cannot move it?

Found out today that they are going to disassmble the safe (it is cinder-block), and get rid of the door and frame.  I still don't know if I will be able to get the door and frame, but it is worth a shot.  

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I did find out POSSIBLE dimensions on it--

About 10' long by 5' wide by 7' tall.

Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm jealous.  I want one too.  You can probably move it on a car carrier, but probably need a winch truck to set it on and off.  If you can get it close to where you are going with it (like a straight shot), you can set it off on some pieces of pipe and roll it, picking up the ones at the back as they come out from under and placing them back in the front.  I have moved some pretty heavy stuff that way.  Congrats on the find.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Definately get the frame with the door!! As for moving it you could probably get away with using a wrecker. If it's too big for it, most wrecking companies have a tilt flat bed with a winch. If you don't want it dragged onto the flatbed then have them use the wrecker to place it on the flatbed.
I had to use the flatbed/wrecker combo for one of my safes because the winch on the flatbed could'nt handle the weight of the safe. (6000 lbs)

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I am hoping it works out--it may not be given away, someone else might have spoken for it, etc.  If it does, it would definitely be something nice to look forward to.

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
All of the vaults that have been in buildings I have worked on are reinforced concrete walls with a jamb and a door. You should be able to take just the door and the jamb, however, the last one I did weighed 5000 pounds so it may not be worth your while.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
i agree,
go for sex AND the safe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think that in order to install the door , you'd need the frame.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Correction above:

Btt
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: i agree,
go for sex AND the safe.
View Quote

So close and yet so far...

Does that mean you'd be able to have
ahem, here it comes....

Safe Sex

Ok, you can groan now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top