Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2001 9:59:04 AM EDT
If you guy read my other post about my going into the Air Force them you now that I'm about to ship out on Dec. 27th.

I don't really know what I'll find at BT,what are some things  can do now to get ready?

What are some thing some of you mat have done,and do you think it helped.

Like I said I'm going to the AF so it's not as bad as some other but I still want to be on top of thing.
This is still BT and I know guys like to joke but there are on Pussies(that I know of) in the US military.

I run about a mil. a day what else would help me bet set up?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
That may be more easy for me people(wife really[:D]) yell at me all the time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#4]
You're kidding right?
The Air Force doesn't have Boot Camp. A friends brother went to boot camp in the AF about 37yrs ago and described it to us. Sounded OK to me. He gave us a little insight as to what happened. Didn't sound bad and actually sounded like going away to college.
So off I go to BT, USN, about 4 years later and it was like running into a wall. I had Marine instructors, UDT and some other awful people one of whom tried to strangle me because I said yeah to him but I was just a little too quick back then.
I made it through and asked what happened? I got plenty of laughs seems the AF operates their BT a lot different from the other branches.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So off I go to BT, USN, about 4 years later and it was like running into a wall. I had Marine instructors, UDT and some other awful people one of whom tried to strangle me because I said yeah to him but I was just a little too quick back then.
View Quote

When was this?  my Navy boot camp was fairly easy, no Marine DIs or UDT folks, just a senior PO who was doing his shore duty rotation and a Ass't CC who was barely out of boot himself.  Boot for me at least, was primarily a mind game - keep focused and listen.  Help fellow recruits out if you can - embrace team work over individualism.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
a2:

I was an MTI at Lackland in the early 80's. An MTI will be your Drill Instructor. Running is no big deal, if you run a mile a day, you'll be fine. The rest of BMT is a snap anyway, the only problem I encountered with the kids going to boot was attitude. If you get home sick easy, you'll have difficulty, if you can't follow directions, you'll eff up.

As some of the others have mentioned, this isn't Marine Boot, or even Army Boot. The Navy has a similar program that isn't so hard. It's mostly acquiring Military Bearing, Listening to and obeying Orders, Teamwork and learning a little bit about leadership.

Most of your training will involve drill. If you know someone that can teach you a little, seek them out and ask. Basic stuff like Left Face, Right Face, About Face. Learn what foot is the right and the left. Be prepared for Flight in-fighting..it's always present. Learn to deal with people or accept it anyway, that some are different than you...their mindset is different and all they'll do is piss you off....it's common within an organization like the Military. Academics will round out the training. Inspections...all simple.

Your TI is God while you're there. So is the Team Member..his/her assistant. Always keep your 341 in your pocket and never leave your rack/bunk a mess. If you...and you will, pull Dorm Guard, stick to the procedures, don't get flustered even when the person at the barracks door threatens you with death. All they're trying to do is confuse you...Procedures Procedures.

Your Firearm training will be rediculous unless your AFSC is SP/LE or some other jobs. That will take place at Tech School anyway. Never salute an enlisted person, only Officers and ONLY your TI when you have to report to him in the Barracks Office...that's training only. Not sure if they do that anymore.

Learning the difference between Sir and Maam...Reports versus Reporting....The common way to respond when a TI summons you is...Sir/Maam "Airman Schmuck Reports as ordered.....not reporting.

Tons of other stuff....but it's really a breeze, nothing to it. If you chose and were accepted to some of the more rigorous jobs like, ParaRescue, Command and Control, Combat Air Weather and a few others, that's where the training gets much tougher. I was a Combat Air Weather known as Para Weather back then and a SP/LE when I first started. Most of my training was Army related. You'll get screamed at, forced to make quick decisions and stuff....but it's all minor crap. The TI's won't call you names (Big Deal) or hit you. When I went in many moons ago, they could practically kill you without the threat of a congressional investigation. That's all changed.

Good Luck
MSgt Bob (Ret)
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're kidding right?
The Air Force doesn't have Boot Camp. A friends brother went to boot camp in the AF about 37yrs ago and described it to us. Sounded OK to me. He gave us a little insight as to what happened. Didn't sound bad and actually sounded like going away to college.
I made it through and asked what happened? I got plenty of laughs seems the AF operates their BT a lot different from the other branches.
View Quote

OK? My Grandad was in the AF for 21 years,he came over from the Army Air Corps.
So I don't know about you 37 years deal,there was no AF to have an easy BT.

Anyway,your a smart ass so buzz the hell off I posted this for people that would have something to say not to bluff there nuts and act tough.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
When I enlisted in the Marines (1983), on the deferred enrollment plan, there were weekly meetings of the "poolies" at the recruiting office every weekend. Some pt.,some running, and a lot of marching, cod, etc., in the parking lot.
You might check with the recruiter office, they may have some similar program. It was a BIG help.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I went throug BMT at lackland in 94 barracudabob hit it right on the head when they are at the window and yelling follow the procedure do not let them in if they are not authorized.  Did you play an insturment They will ask you that day 2 to try and recruit you for the drum and bugle corps.  don't do it they will wave the carrot of no KP and other bonuses in front of you the only plus is that you will be in the only flight that gets to go to chow with females and talk to them on a regular basis.  i fell for this trick the shitty thing to it is you still have to do everything everyone else has to but practice music for parades and retrets 3 hours a day and if you want to do certian AFSC's once you are in Drum and bugle corps are not eligible.  Do you have a guaranteed AFSC?? I was a 3P052 SP/LE if you have any other specific questions e-mail me I will reply tomorrow afternoon.

john
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#10]
BarracudaBob, I went through Lackland back in '90 and it was EXACTLY as you described, I even forgot some of it.

I tell everybody if you can jog a little and handle being yelled at then you are all set.

The propbelm that I had was the "inner-city" guys that thought they wre the best thing in the world.  That changed fast as they got ther most crap from the TI.

[b]hondajohn[/b] AH the old Beat and Blow.  Everybody hated those people because (we thgought) they had the easiest Basic Training and Tech School, with all the fluffy TIs and didn't have to actually do anything.

Try out for Combat Air Control when you get the chance.  Its the AF Verson of Rangers, you work along side them and train with them.  The try out will kill you unless you are in shape.
It required running 1½ miles as fast as you can THEN 30 laps in a olympic size pool (with 15 others) then as many push ups, pull ups, sit ups. in that order.

After the run I was toast for the swimming, plus the waves were over 3' high in that pool with all of those peopole in it.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
There is also an AFSC called TACP they call in air strikes on the front lines I was with a couple of them on the tank farm by Basara in 95 they have so many toys.  in between a-10 strafing runs we would light up targets with the MK19
john
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]
My advice is to spend quality time with family and friends. The rest will come while you are in basic.
Do the right thing. Be in the right place at the right time.
That's about all you need to know.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Rules for basic training:

Don't be first.

Don't be last.

Don't stand out as an individual.

Plan ahead to avoid being caught with a full bladder.

Follow instructions [i]exactly[/i] as they are given.

Let friends and family know that letters from home are a great morale booster.

Act confident, but not cocky.

Keep a black, ballpoint pen handy at all times.

Remember that nothing lasts forever.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
It's all been covered here, but let me offer you one more piece of advice. Learn to disconnect your brain from body, like if your pulling KP, disconnect, and think of something more pleasant, like chicks, or guns, or anything other than washing dishes. Like Renamed said, "nothing lasts forever", and if you can mentally place yourself somewhere else, it'll be even shorter. Worked for me, it'll work for you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
As per all the above---good advice. Also don't show up with a "Flock of Seagulls" type haircut or dressed in a total fly homeboy outfit. The TI's love that kinda shit. The only people who had problems were the really bizarre weirdos or the mommas-boys...
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As per all the above---good advice. Also don't show up with a "Flock of Seagulls" type haicut or dressed in a total fly homeboy outfit. The TI's love that kinda shit. The only people who had problems were the really bizarre weirdos or the mommas-boys...
View Quote

Fly homeboy outfits LOL!

Now who the hell is sooooooo dumb they would show up for BT in that(don't tell me I know[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#17]
They'll show up, just watch. Do you smoke? The smokers had problems also. A lot of the married guys (with kids) had problems being separated the first time. A lot of dudes were so scared they fessed up to being dopers just so they could get out. This was only 2 or 3 days into the party! If the TI asks for volunteers for the Bowling Team, don't. You will be Latrine Queen. Elwood Witesell III got that honor in my flight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top