Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2001 5:40:13 AM EDT
I am going to start reading some of Clancy's books, because everyone I have talked to says they are great.  What I want to know, is what order should i read them in?  Don't many of the books pick up where the previous one left off?

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to check me on this.......

Red Storm rising
Hunt for Red October
Patriot games
Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Rainbow Six
Bear and the Dragon

Without Remorse is his best (my opinion) and it is a prequel that you should read somewhere between Clear and Present Danger and Debt of Honor......or you could read it before Clear and Present Danger.

Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said.....I agree, Without Remorse is awesome... In fact its been a few years,I think its time to read it again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:15:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You should read Patriot Games before The Hunt For Red October.  Even though Patriot Games was written after HFRO, the events in it take place before HFRO.  I also like Without Remorse, and I would read it after Clear and Present Danger.

Enjoy (I have read them all at least 3 times)
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Same here I didn't read the last four either.
Huh, that was right when the cold war ended, and he switched from a Soviet Focus to other ones. Anyways  he is fantastic, without a doubt him and Dale Brown (flight of the old dog, etc.) are two of the best.  

Benjamin
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Red Storm Rising is independant of the rest.

Chronologically, the Jack Ryan series is:
Without Remorse (During Vietnam, so its about 20 years before the rest, but mentions a lot of players)
Patriot Games
Hunt for Red October
Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Bear and the Dragon

Rainbox Six is sort of independant, IIRC, Jack Ryan isnt directly involved. Ding and Clark are the main characters, but it should be set around the Debt of Honor and Executive Orders timeframe.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Without Remorse (During Vietnam, so its about 20 years before the rest, but mentions a lot of players)
Patriot Games
Hunt for Red October
Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Bear and the Dragon

Kharn
View Quote

So is it best to read the books in the order that Clancy wrote them, or in the order that Kharn listed above (based on when everything took place?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I started buying them when "Red October" came out and have read them in the order they were published. You won't have any problem if you read them in the same manner.

"Red Storm..." was published after "Red October" and is a stand alone novel. It is good, but not related to the others in any way.

FWIW..."Patriot Games" WAS written before "Red October" but "Red October" was published first.

I do remember having some questions at the time I was first reading these as to the chronology of events.

"Clear and Present Danger", "Sum of all Fears", and "Dept of Honor" are my favorites.

Read them and enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have a list of his other books, like Armored Cav and the like ???
[:D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
If I had to rank the books from best to least it would go this way

Without Remorse 1
Hunt for Red October 2
Patriot games 5
Cardinal of the Kremlin 3
Clear and Present Danger 4
Sum of All Fears 6
Debt of Honor 8
Executive Orders 9
Rainbow Six 7
Bear and the Dragon10

As stated before Red Storm rising is a stand alone books but it is an accurate account of an America vs USSR total war.  It is a darn good book........to those new to Clancy the begging of his books start off slow however you get to a point where you can't put the book down

Some of his newer works lack a little realism and his last book Bear and the Dragon had a slopy ending......I think Jack Ryan has been played.

Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patriot Games
Hunt for Red October
Cardinal of the Kremlin
Clear and Present Danger
Sum of All Fears
Debt of Honor
Executive Orders
Bear and the Dragon

Kharn
View Quote

So is it best to read the books in the order that Clancy wrote them, or in the order that Kharn listed above (based on when everything took place?
View Quote

Kharn's listing is pretty good.  It will help give a clearer understanding of character development. A VERY young Jack Ryan is makes a brief appearance in Without Remorse, but his father is the main "Ryan" character in that one.  

I have always wondered who was the pattern Clancy used for John Clark.  A bad dude indeed!

Red Storm, to me, is the best WW3 novel ever written.  A properly done(oxymoron...)movie would be something to see!  Harold Coyle's Team Yankee would run a close second.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Red Storm Rising was co-written with Larry Bond another great author of these type of books.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I read them out of order with the exception of Rainbow Six, Executive Orders, and The Bear and the Dragon. Doesn't matter, as the pieces will all fit together in your mind.

Seems I'm not the only person in this world who likes Harold Coyles writings as well. Team Yankee was KICKASS!! Man, while reading that book, I swear I could smell the cordite! Defending the fulda gap!! Oh yeah!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top