Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2001 10:20:27 PM EDT
Have you ever read Duncan Long's book "AR15/M16: A Practical Guide"? I noticed a potentially dangerous error in it, one which apparently carried over into his more recent "The Complete AR15/M16 Sourcebook"

Turn with me now to page 143 of "Sourcebook".

He writes-(read carefully)

"The most ideal combination is to have a barrel/bolt combination that accepts the GO and FIELD gauge, but not the NO-GO gauge..."

This is right after he gets done saying-

"To determine if a rifle with excessive headspace(one that accepted the NO-GO gauge) is safe, use the FIELD gauge. If the bolt turns on this gauge, then do not ever fire a round in this barrel. To do so would be extremely dangerous."

To recap-
In real life-

It should take the GO gauge...

It shouldn't take the NO-GO gauge, but it might be safe, use FIELD to check. If it doesn't close on FIELD, use bbl, just not w/ maximum loads.

It REALLY shouldn't take the FIELD gauge!

SO WHY DOES DUNCAN'S BOOK SAY IT SHOULD CLOSE ON THE FIELD GAUGE!!!!!????? (all HANGFIRE'S caps are belong to us)

This is a REEEEALLY dangerous Typo/error. Imagine the dude, who, in good faith, buys a bbl with excessive headspace, closes it on the GO(it goes, of course) then closes it on the oversized FIELD gauge(it goes) dude takes new rifle to range, and Dean Speir(Just visiting from the Gun Zone [xx(] ) has another Kb! of the week to write about, we have one less AR enthusiast in the world.

Just be aware-tell any friends who have either book, so they dont lose their hands and their gun(or maybe more) [:(]

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you ever read his book on the Mini-14? According to him, it's a fabulous rifle. The guy's either an idiot, or on Rugers' payroll.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have. The guy is off his rocker. Mini 14 super systems? Mini14 the world's most versatile rifle?? 'Scuse me, but the world's most versatile rifle is the AR, the world's sorriest excuse for an AR replacement is the Mini. Gimme a break! Ruger only built one good long gun, the 10/22, and one  ok handgun the 22/45. that's it IMHO. I don't take him seriously.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Read his book on HK.

Long idenfifies the 3 point sling mount-point on the HK 91 as "A place for hanging the rifle from nails protruding from boards". I swear to God.

Now yeah, you could use the sling mount point on the foregrip to hang your $2,000 HK 91 from a nail, but only an idiot, or Duncan Long, would actually do that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yepper, the guy's a moron, that's for sure. I had a Security-six that was a damn good gun, but that and my 10/22 are the only things I've seen with "Ruger" on 'em that were worth a sh*t.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a Duncan fan either - he's a little short on accuracy.
Juggernaut - Youre' right about Ruger guns, BUT, I would have to add the SP101 as one of the few good ones. I've got one with a 1 3/4" barrel in .357 Mag that absolutely rules! It has one of the sweetest single action triggers I've ever used (and I've tried a sh*t load over the years). And it completely disappears in my front jeans pocket with a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Hang an HK91 on a nail...

against some boards...

Well, hey, this is the guy who liked the TEC-9 too, isn't it? LMAO. Sooo Stupid. Put it in a book called "the deadly three, or something, classed it with (get this) Uzi and Ingam weapons(Mac-10,11) Ummm, yeah and my Ford Pinto belongs in a book next to my Cadillac.

He must be one of those Guns & Ammo writers, who doesn't want you to feel bad about owning a used Rossi .38, or a Llama .45, because "This is a quality firearm, and every bit as good as models costing 3 times as much.!"

Link Posted: 3/4/2001 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now yeah, you could use the sling mount point on the foregrip to hang your $2,000 HK 91 from a nail, but only an idiot, or Duncan Long, would actually do that.
View Quote

It's amazing how many morons actually believe the nail thing since he wrote that in his book.  That myth has been passed down from generation to generation of guys that can't afford HKs that I think it now classifies as a Urban-gun legend.

I was showing an HK93 to a customer at a gunshow, and some genius walks up and says "gotta love those Germans, only they would hang their rifles from a nail in the barracks."  Yeah, move on to the next table with the Lorcins and the beef jerky please...
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Duncan Long has been around a good long time.  I had originally assumed him to be a "subject matter expert" when I was a little kid.  I don't know if he still has a website, but it is quite obvious that he is just an ordinary "Joe Sixpack" who found a way to make some money writing articles and books for small publishers.  No experience required for that.  Let the buyer beware.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not a big fan of Ruger's but you have to admit the MkII pistol is a pretty sweet gun.  Surprised no one mentioned that one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2001 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
DL musta got too much Agent Orange...
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 2:50:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Not to mention he says yoy can put collaspable stocks on rifles with 20" barrels or 16" barrels with full length stocks(can we say gas system failure to cycle).

Unfortunately I bought about 3 of his books on the AR before I realized something is amiss here. Oh well, you live and you learn. He does have alot of cool pics of ARs(Most of us bought these books because of these pics didn't we, Come on, admit it).
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:38:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I read his book on the SKS and it was total garbage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#13]
TacGuy: Uhh, actually you can put whatever length stock on your rifle that you please (within the law, of course), and it will function (except maybe some of those ultra-tiny pistol buffers, but thats another story).

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top