Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2001 12:34:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi DVDTracker,

I assume you are talking PERL regexps?  There is slightly different syntax for different languages (various UNIX shells, xemacs, C language, etc).

The problem is anything in brackets means you are only matching one letter by default.

So your expression matches:
a&a.com
because it is finding a match with the underlined portion:
a&[u]a.com[/u]

If you are trying to match any alphanumeric for any number of characters, followed by the .net, .com, or .org domains, your expression should look like this:
[b]^[a-zA-Z0-9]+\.com|net|org$[/b]

I'm assuming the rest of your syntax is right. Offhand I forget how the logical or operator works (the |).  

The changes are the ^ anchor.  This anchors your regexp to the beginning of the word.  That was why your previous regexp was not excluding the "a&" portion in your example -- you didn't tell it that it couldn't have anything in front of the string you were matching.

The other change is the "+" modifier.  As I said earlier, anything in brackets denotes just one character.  So the + modifier means that you are now matching for one or more characters that meet the criterion of [a-zA-Z0-9].  If it was okay to have zero or more characters, you could use the * modifier instead of the +, but I don't think that is what you want in your example.

Hope that helps and it wasn't too terribly confusing.  Let me know if you need any follow up clarification.

Dilbert

[Edited to fix UBBcode]
__
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What your regular expression says is to find within the string a pattern that has one letter/number followed by a .com, .net, or .org at the end of the string.  Your string "a&a.com" matches that criteria.  It has an "a", which is a valid letter/number, followed by a ".com".  If you want your string to have only letters/numbers preceding the .com, etc., from the very beginning of the string, you need to write it thusly:

^[a-zA-Z0-9]+\.[com|net|org]$

I think that's right, although I didn't actually check it out myself.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#5]
DVDTracker, your last rule allows for invalid domain names that start with a - to still pass.   Below is the rule I developed years ago to look for valid e-mail addresses:

^[0-9a-z]([-_.]?[0-9a-z]\.?)*@[0-9a-z]([-.]?[0-9a-z])*\\.[a-z]+$
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Boy, good luck with that working 100%. Now all you have to do is include all the national domains like ".co.uk" for commercial UK sites, etc, ad nauseum. You might try Network Solutions for a list of all TLDs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top