Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 8:38:44 AM EDT
Can you take MACE or OC in checked luggage on a commercial plane?

I know FIRE is out of the question.

The reason I ask is the "Ball and chain " is going to FL for a couple weeks and wants to know.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
No
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a negative sir.  Bad juju if it bursts due to pressure differences while in the cargo hold.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#3]
No, although my wife did on accident.  TSA freaked out about our 5 oz shampoo bottle being half full (this was after they changed it again to 3 oz or something like that), made me go check it back at the counters and we almost missed our flight.  Got to Seattle, and my wife realized she had her pepper spray with her during the flight.  Stupid TSA...

ETA:  This was carry on, not checked luggage.  I had a 2 oz can of FOX in my checked luggage w/ no problems.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I know FIRE is out of the question.

As of August last year, fire is GTG!
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No, although my wife did on accident.  TSA freaked out about our 5 oz shampoo bottle being half full (this was after they changed it again to 3 oz or something like that), made me go check it back at the counters and we almost missed our flight.  Got to Seattle, and my wife realized she had her pepper spray with her during the flight.  Stupid TSA...

ETA:  This was carry on, not checked luggage.  I had a 2 oz can of FOX in my checked luggage w/ no problems.

FOX 2oz is what she has.

I thought maybe since firearms and ammo could go in checked maybe the OC could too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can you take MACE or OC in checked luggage on a commercial plane?

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
From TSA

Martial Arts & Self Defense Items
Item Carry-on Checked
Billy Clubs No Yes
Black Jacks No Yes
Brass Knuckles No Yes
Kubatons No Yes
Mace/Pepper Spray - One 118 ml or 4 Fl. oz. container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. For more information visit www.faa.gov., click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly. No Yes
Martial Arts Weapons No Yes
Night Sticks No Yes
Nunchakus No Yes
Stun Guns/Shocking Devices No Yes
Throwing Stars No Yes
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Security Officers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From TSA

Martial Arts & Self Defense Items
Item Carry-on Checked
Billy Clubs No Yes
Black Jacks No Yes
Brass Knuckles No Yes
Kubatons No Yes
Mace/Pepper Spray - One 118 ml or 4 Fl. oz. container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. For more information visit www.faa.gov., click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly. No Yes
Martial Arts Weapons No Yes
Night Sticks No Yes
Nunchakus No Yes
Stun Guns/Shocking Devices No Yes
Throwing Stars No Yes
NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and Security Officers.

Looks like my next door neighbor from UT has all the right answers.

I looked over the TSA site and yes, up to a 4oz can is fine.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
That's all well and good provided the local TSA employee knows their rules.  All too often it seems that TSA enforces rules differently at different airports.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have multiple times...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife discovered in the ticket line she had her Kimber OC gas devise in her purse.  These things run about $40 or so.  I took it and slipped in in our checked baggage.
It went through to Tampa.  
I wound up giving it to my future daughter in law over there because I did not think it would make it past TSA twice.  
Based on the above info, guess I would have been OK.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#12]
No problem.  What are neighbors for right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No problem.  What are neighbors for right?

Maybe calling in Coyotes fro me to shoot?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top