Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2008 9:06:08 PM EDT
It's getting late and my brain isn't working right.  I am trying to join a linux box to my 2003 AD domain and have been unable to do so thus far and I'm wondering if it's a DNS issue.  Should I be able to ping servername.domain.com?  I am unable to do so from either a linux or XP box.  If I am supposed to be able to what could I be missing?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
While I'm not positive, I'm reasonably certain name resolution is going to have to work. Like 99.9% certain.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Setup DNS on your Win2k3 box if you haven't already, and use that for name resolution.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Setup DNS on your Win2k3 box if you haven't already, and use that for name resolution.

I currently do have DNS setup on the 2003 box and it seems to be working alright.  I can ping servername and have it resolve out ok.  I can also ping my local domain.com and have it resolve out to the same ip as the server.  I've seen where as a test you are supposed to ping servername.domain.com but I am unable to do so.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Can the DNS server ping itself?

Did you turn the DNS server service on?

Did you active the zone on the DNS server?

Does the linux box have the correct IP for the DNS.. or are you using DHCP to propagate the DNS IP?

Do you have DHCP turned on...

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Static IPs? DHCP?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes and Yes.  I'm not that fried yet.  It's all active and appears to be working correctly except for the fact that I am unable to ping servername.domain.com

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Static IPs? DHCP?

DHCP
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes and Yes.  I'm not that fried yet.  It's all active and appears to be working correctly except for the fact that I am unable to ping servername.domain.com

Hmmm.. I am having the same problem..

C:\Documents and Settings\Irv>ping servername.domain.com
Ping request could not find host servername.domain.com. Please check the name an
d try again.

Maybe it is a general Internet problem and not just you.

Edit: Firewall setup to allow pings thru?

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I may have found it.  

Under DNS the FQDN of the server was servername.domain.

I changed it to servername.domain.com and can now ping servername.domain.com.  Now to try joining the linux box to the domain again.  Gotta run across the house :)
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's getting late and my brain isn't working right.  I am trying to join a linux box to my 2003 AD domain and have been unable to do so thus far and I'm wondering if it's a DNS issue.  Should I be able to ping servername.domain.com?  I am unable to do so from either a linux or XP box.  If I am supposed to be able to what could I be missing?

Thanks!

I guess that's easier than trying to join a 2003 box to an NIS map, but I am unclear here -- are the subnets the same?  If you can't ping it at all, well ...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

I guess that's easier than trying to join a 2003 box to an NIS map, but I am unclear here -- are the subnets the same?  If you can't ping it at all, well ...

Subnets are the same.  The computers can see each other (ping one another by name and IP address).  I was just unable to ping servername.domain.com.  However, after making the changes on the DNS entry for FQDN I am able to.  However I am still unable to join the linux box to the domain.  when I run kinit [email protected] I get

kinit(v5): Cannot resolve network address for KDC in realm domain.com while getting initial credentials
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#12]
No dice!

Things seem to get further when trying to join the domain but now I am getting Failed to set the ServicePrincipalNames. Please ensure that the DNS domain of this server matches the AD Domain. Or rejoin with using Domain Admin Credentials.  The user that I am using is part of the Domain Admins group.  I've tried a couple things I found on google but neither of those worked either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Finally got it figured out.  I needed to change the computers FQDN.  

Was
Computer

Now
Computer.Domain.com

I can't believe it was that simple after everything I did!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top