Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 8:47:31 PM EDT
I've been considering it for a while... I've also been considering joining the Air Force active duty, but for medical reasons they might not take me... I know I can get in the State Guard, however...

Data and opinions from anyone whose been in/worked with the Texas State Guard?

www.gotxsg.com/ If you have no clue what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
State Police Guard?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
State Police Guard?

Technically it's military, from what I gather... But one step above The "Redneck Special Forces Militia" and one step below "That National Guard Unit That Was Forgotten For Six Years In Bracketville".
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've been considering it for a while... I've also been considering joining the Air Force active duty, but for medical reasons they might not take me... I know I can get in the State Guard, however...

Make sure your enlistment term is not greater than 4 years.  We are gonna be needing you right around then....just sayin...

-Ben
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
State Police Guard?

Technically it's military, from what I gather... But one step above The "Redneck Special Forces Militia" and one step below "That National Guard Unit That Was Forgotten For Six Years In Bracketville".

Well, gee.  Thats awfully respectful.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
State Police Guard?

I just laughed so hard all of the dogs woke up and gave me an exasperated look, all at the same time.  I am sure that it was meant in the nicest possible way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
State Police Guard?

I just laughed so hard all of the dogs woke up and gave me an exasperated look, all at the same time.  I am sure that it was meant in the nicest possible way.

I'm thinking about joining said group... Why would I be disrespectful of it? Just being honest... It ain't Delta Force, if you know what I'm sayin'...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make sure your enlistment term is not greater than 4 years.  We are gonna be needing you right around then....just sayin...

-Ben

I've talked with a recruiter and he says people with no prior military experience who join, and then later decide to join the United States military, will be released from their obligations to the State Guard... Although with encouragement to get back in the state guard once they retire.

My medical conditions look horrible on paper... But in reality I could be useful to the Air Force. I'm not going to fall over and die or anything (or pass out, etc)... Only real concern is extreme weight lifting could cause back injury, moreso with me than Average Joe.

Right now I doubt MEPS would let me go, however... But I see the world like I think you do... I think in a few years they won't care, especially with my decent ASVAB scores.

Meanwhile, this looks like the most military thing I can do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
State Police Guard?

I'm thinking about joining said group... Why would I be disrespectful of it? Just being honest... It ain't Delta Force, if you know what I'm sayin'...

My experience with it is limited and it seemed interesting when I have more time in a few years.  Largely it seemed like a good place for the Class III folks to hang out where they could enjoy some structure and would be less likely to shoot their own nuts off.  But yes, Delta Force it isn't.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

I've talked with a recruiter and he says people with no prior military experience who join, and then later decide to join the United States military, will be released from their obligations to the State Guard... Although with encouragement to get back in the state guard once they retire.

My medical conditions look horrible on paper... But in reality I could be useful to the Air Force. I'm not going to fall over and die or anything (or pass out, etc)... Only real concern is extreme weight lifting could cause back injury, moreso with me than Average Joe.

Right now I doubt MEPS would let me go, however... But I see the world like I think you do... I think in a few years they won't care, especially with my decent ASVAB scores.

Meanwhile, this looks like the most military thing I can do.

send an im to makarovmami
shes in the guard.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#10]
there was a thread on it several years ago; got bashed pretty hard on here because if "you ain't spec ops or marines, you ain't shit' mentality.  kind of how security guards are wannabes drift.

it's in step with the Civil Air Partol.  under gov control, there called out on minor distrubances and special events.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for the nightstalkers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump for the early birds...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Bump for the morning cup of coffee people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#15]
If you enjoy disaster response and not getting paid for it, have at it. That's basically all they do.

It's a volunteer organization, not an legit military force. You're not going to be carrying an M16 down Main St. That's what the national guard is for.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Remember that serving in the Texas State Guard you ultimately answer to the Governor of Texas, not the President or Congress.  True they may apply pressure on the state in a time of serious need, but you take orders from the Governor; no one else.

I'm sure you are aware of that, but I think there may be a lot of people who aren't.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I looked into the Texas State Guard once. From what I could tell, they keep the coffee hot while the NG is training. Looks like a bunch of guys who want to wear the uniform but don't want the commitment, or can't get into the NG. They don't even get paid. It's just a club.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Go to VAJOE.COM. Everything you need to know is there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:22:41 AM EDT
[#19]
2 people from work joined....
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:34:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you enjoy disaster response and not getting paid for it, have at it. That's basically all they do.

It's a volunteer organization, not an legit military force. You're not going to be carrying an M16 down Main St. That's what the national guard is for.

i have a friend that is in the state guard, he has been activated three times in two years and they get paid every time they activate.  he went to houston twice for disaster relief and once to the border.   they also have an arms room and weapons.  i went to talk to them when i was DQ'ed from both active and NG, but ended up getting in the active army. they drill out of the NG armory.

it is volunteer but it is also a real contractual obligation if you sign with them. they give you free education in a state college upon completion of your enlistment.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#21]
The give you money and good health benifits and you get to help out in disasters and such, its not that bad of a gig for what it is.  I have a few friends that have joined, and have gotten alot of good out of it.

For the super sniper commando ninja navy seal badasses out there who have to bash everything that isnt spec ops just keep sitting on your couch infront of the TV eating you chips and STFU...
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I looked into the Texas State Guard once. From what I could tell, they keep the coffee hot while the NG is training. Looks like a bunch of guys who want to wear the uniform but don't want the commitment, or can't get into the NG. They don't even get paid. It's just a club.

What's so bad about that?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Basically they borrow National Guard facilities while the NG isn't using them.  You go, learn a litle bit about how to march around, fall-in, etc.  They might teach you a bit about directing traffic or giving first-aid or some kind of EMT/Police type stuff.  It is mostly older men who are former military or retired, although they do get other types as well.  It's not much like the "real" military though.  Think Red Cross wearing BDUs.  If a disaster hits you will probably be called up to assist the Red Cross.  That is the only time you would get paid also, if the governor authorizes it.

And as for the comments about contracts and health benefits... not that I am aware of unless they changed things.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
it's in step with the Civil Air Partol.

Is it really that shitty?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why do you say that?  don't like the CAP?  they were airborne and flying missions on 9/11/2001.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why do you say that?  don't like the CAP?  they were airborne and flying missions on 9/11/2001.

I was in CAP for 6 years. I know all about CAP, so don't think my opinion is uninformed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I was in CAP for 6 years. I know all about CAP, so don't think my opinion is uninformed.

i suspose they have 'group of people' problems like anywhere else (can't think of the correct phrase); but what did you have a problem with?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
i suspose they have 'group of people' problems like anywhere else (can't think of the correct phrase); but what did you have a problem with?

This might be better for another thread.

However, I spent most of my time in a unit in Wisconsin. The bigger units constantly tried to get smaller units closed, so they could get the funds. You had to be with the "in" group, or you never got incentive flights, SAR training, equipment, etc. May people had chips on their shoulders. Then there's the Hitler Youth/Niedemeyer types that seemed pretty prevalent too.

I tried hooking up with an Illinois unit while i was stationed down there. They were eager to have a radio operator come to their unit. I went to a meeting, and got completely cold shouldered; ignored; The entire 2 hour meeting, no one said i word to me. I politely introduced myself, guy said hi, and that was it.

Tried hooking up with a ND unit, same story.

I'm sorry. I know CAP does some good things. But they've left a nasty taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

This might be better for another thread.

However, I spent most of my time in a unit in Wisconsin. The bigger units constantly tried to get smaller units closed

true, i won't hog this thread.

but what you've been saying is what i've been hearning about CAP units all over (just didn't want to believe it).  ironic that they have been recruiting (or trying to) a lot.  one more in a lot of way back insitutions heading for the drain.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 1:01:39 AM EDT
[#30]
From what I've been able to find out the State Guard has become a bit more serious over the last few years... More funding, better training, more men, more units, more gear. As I've said, it isn't anything near the National Guard, but they're not a bandaid-corps anymore, either.

I've been considering Air Force Active Duty, but as I said, right now I probably couldn't pass MEPS. Hence why I'm looking for some alternative, at least until the federal military gets a little more desperate for fresh meat. Hence the State Guard.

I know it's unpaid (except occasional paid drills and the pay you get if you're called up)... Hell you even have to buy your own uniform. I don't really care, I just want to do something in my nations Phalanx, and as far as I can tell this is my only option for now.

Recruiter states that weapons training on M16s is now more or less standard for new enlistees in most units, especially for those without prior military background. He says it's nothing as good as what the Army/National Guard does, but it's still a day on the National Guard range with instruction.

I think I'm going to do this... It's the only military thing I can do right now. I know it's not as Pro-fess-uh-nahl as the Federal military or National Guard, but it's something.

I don't care if all I get to do is help clean things up after a brushfire... At least I'll be doing something, and not just sitting on my ass, living under the shelter of warriors while giving nothing back.

"Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, 'What did you do in the great World War II?' -- you won't have to say, 'Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana.' "
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
From what I've been able to find out the State Guard has become a bit more serious over the last few years... More funding, better training, more men, more units, more gear. As I've said, it isn't anything near the National Guard, but they're not a bandaid-corps anymore, either.

I've been considering Air Force Active Duty, but as I said, right now I probably couldn't pass MEPS. Hence why I'm looking for some alternative, at least until the federal military gets a little more desperate for fresh meat. Hence the State Guard.

I know it's unpaid (except occasional paid drills and the pay you get if you're called up)... Hell you even have to buy your own uniform. I don't really care, I just want to do something in my nations Phalanx, and as far as I can tell this is my only option for now.

Recruiter states that weapons training on M16s is now more or less standard for new enlistees in most units, especially for those without prior military background. He says it's nothing as good as what the Army/National Guard does, but it's still a day on the National Guard range with instruction.

I think I'm going to do this... It's the only military thing I can do right now. I know it's not as Pro-fess-uh-nahl as the Federal military or National Guard, but it's something.

I don't care if all I get to do is help clean things up after a brushfire... At least I'll be doing something, and not just sitting on my ass, living under the shelter of warriors while giving nothing back.

"Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, 'What did you do in the great World War II?' -- you won't have to say, 'Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana.' "

Best of luck to you, I like your attitude. I'd really like to know how it works out for you and what your exeriences are like in the TSG so please keep us posted.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best of luck to you, I like your attitude. I'd really like to know how it works out for you and what your exeriences are like in the TSG so please keep us posted.

Thanks. Recruiter advised me to wait a few months if I want to make sure I'm in on the weapons training thing (seems they're still setting that stuff up in some units), and that gives me some time to look into just which unit I want to go to.

I'm going to do this as long as nothing screwy happens, I'll post updates as they're needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top