Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2008 3:48:21 PM EDT
Personally, I like the Sacketts and Lance Kilkenny books. Along with Last of the Breed of course.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Last of the Breed is the only one I can remember, and since I probably read every one of them, including his book of poetry, it must have been my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them all.
My favorites are "Mojave Crossing," and "The Ferguson Rifle."
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Who?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Who?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Last of the Breed is the only one I can remember, and since I probably read every one of them, including his book of poetry, it must have been my favorite.

If that is the same book I am thinking of, +1. The only one of his books I ever read, about an American Indian USAF pilot shot down over siberia russia during the cold war. It has been allmost twenty years since I have read it, off to amazon

Edit, yep thats it. Will be ordering a nice paperback copy from amazon come friday.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That's the one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If that is the same book I am thinking of, +1. The only one of his books I ever read, about an American Indian USAF pilot shot down over siberia russia during the cold war. It has been allmost twenty years since I have read it, off to amazon
That's the one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Flint is my fav. but ive read all of them and most of them 5 or 7 times (all 135 or more of them)
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they were all pretty damn good.

I remember I really liked To Tame a Land.  I think it was the one were the kid ends up killing his mentor.   That is the one with Nana Murado - "she wore her sex like a badge"...hmmm I really liked that when I was 12.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
To Tame a Land
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think they were all pretty damn good.

I remember I really liked To Tame a Land.  I think it was the one were the kid ends up killing his mentor.   That is the one with Nana Murado - "she wore her sex like a badge"...hmmm I really liked that when I was 12.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
To Tame a Land and Flint.

The one that he wrote late in life about the window to an alternate world in the mesa house sucked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
To Tame a Land and Flint.

The one that he wrote late in life about the window to an alternate world in the mesa house sucked.
Was that called The Haunted Mesa? I hated it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the one.

If anyone would like to read it, go here.

www.amazon.com/Last-Breed-Louis-LAmour/dp/0553280422/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200963454&sr=1-1

As for westerns, we didnt have much money growing up for books, so I bumbed books off my crazy uncle jimmy. He was partial to Longarm westerns, and IIRC a series called The Gunsmith

Also he was partial to Don Pendltons Mack Bolan. I read my first Executioner novel at the age of nine
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the one.

www.amazon.com/Last-Breed-Louis-LAmour/dp/0553280422/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200963454&sr=1-1

As for westerns, we didnt have much money growing up for books, so I bumbed books off my crazy uncle jimmy. He was partial to Longarm westerns, and IIRC a series called The Gunsmith

Also he was partial to Don Pendltons Mack Bolan. I read my first Executioner novel at the age of nine
I really have to buy new copies of all the ones I have. They are all well worn out. I've read all of them about a million times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I always liked The Comstock Lode.  The Sacketts series was pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Lonsome Gods

Last of the Breed

Comstock Lode

Flint
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
just went here....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_L'Amour#Novels

Scrolling through the list brings back some memories...

Saw "Down the Long Hills", the one with the young brother and sister traveling alone...

Wow, wish I still had those books.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Conagher.  TV movie rights sold to Sam Elliot by L'Amour on the condition Elliot play Conagher.  Avilable on Disc.  Book is slightly better, but disc is far more faithful to the book than most.  A must-see, IMHO.
That was a very good book. There are a couple others identical to it, but what the hell? I love them too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
The Trouble Shooter
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#22]
The Walking Drum

A Non-Western
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the one.

I really have to buy new copies of all the ones I have. They are all well worn out. I've read all of them about a million times.

I have had to replace copies of paperback books from the spines wearing out. I have three copies of The Takers by Jerry Ahern, the first two copies I had spit in half. Whenever I start rereading a book I havent read in a few years my wife thinks I am nuts
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I do not recall reading one of his books I  did not like.  Passin' Through stands out as one of my favorites though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought Last Stand at Saber River....I hope it is good. I got it at a used book shop.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#26]
In no particular order:

any of The Sackett series.

High Lonesome (they make a last-ditch stand against overwhelming odds. I won't give away the ending.)

I can't recall the title, but there's one where a guy thinks he's dying of cancer & moves out West & takes on the bad guys. Great story!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#27]
All of them. I own and have read almost all of his books.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
In no particular order:

any of The Sackett series.

High Lonesome (they make a last-ditch stand against overwhelming odds. I won't give away the ending.)

I can't recall the title, but there's one where a guy thinks he's dying of cancer & moves out West & takes on the bad guys. Great story!
That would be Flint.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Strangely I think Walking Drum was his best.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#30]
The Sackett books, & The Lonesome Gods.Although all his books are excellent reads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm quite pleased that others here have recognized Last of the Breed as one of the best by L'Amour.

I've worn out my original hardback of this.  Great story!

Shooting down a helicopter using a bow and arrow - whodda thunk that one up.

The last page of the book is simply the best.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#33]
All of them.

I've got every book he wrote in my library.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#34]
The whole Sackett saga by far his best. Last of the Breed was outstanding too. Long before I ever knew of or saw Sam Elliot he is what I envisioned Tell Sackett to be.

The TBS mini series of the Sacketts was good. Elliot as Tell was spot on, Tom Selleck as Orin was ok but not quite what I thought the character was. Tom Siesmore in that roll maybe. Selleck would have been good as Ty though. Those two guys have done a wonderful job on the TBS and HBO adaptations of the books over the years.

I used to laugh at my Granddad for reading all of those old western books. I call them "horse operas."  After finally reading the Daybreakers he turned me on to many hours of entertaining reading.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to read alot of them, my Dad had a big collection of Western books.  I remember the Sacketts.  The only title I can remember is Hondo, is that correct?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
All of them.

I've got every book he wrote in my library.

I've got his all his books as well, great way to pass a rainy afternoon.

My wifes brother inherited the complete leather bound collection, he later discovered drugs and hocked the collection. Man I wish I had those, my paper backs are getting a bit tattered.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#37]
The Walking Drum

Last of the Breed

Lonesome Gods

Entire Sackett series

All the Talon/Chantry books

Best author in the last 100 years IMO

Rhino
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Hanging Woman Creek, the first one I read when I was about 14. A close second was Connager.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Education of a wandering man.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#40]
All of them. I have several first editions. Riley's  Luck was the first one I ever read and it remains a favorite. 'The Walking Drum' and 'Last of the Breed' were also classics. Sackett, Kilkenny and Talon/Chantry series were great too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Education of a wandering man.

Excellent book.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#42]
The Walking Drum and Last of the Breed.  Too bad he didn't get the chance to write the sequels to either book before he passed on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top