Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2008 1:20:59 PM EDT
I will stick to the drive up teller.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324197,00.html

Bankers Association Wants 'No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses' Policy
Monday, January 21, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. —  Responding to a more than one-third hike in bank robbery, the Florida Bankers Association is urging its members to adopt new rules.

Not additional guards or cameras, but a dress code for customers.

The group rolled out a "No Hats, No Hoods, No Sunglasses" program, which includes lobby signs asking customers to remove those items before approaching a teller.

Those who refuse would be directed to an area with more security or a more experienced teller.

"Bankers aren't just going to hope robbers won't come," FBA president Alex Sanchez said. "The 'No Hats' program is one more layer of protection for banks, employees and bank customers."

The dress code is optional, and some banks say they have no plans to adopt it. Wachovia, among the largest banks in Florida, is one of them.

"We realize and recognize that there are circumstances, such as religious traditions, that might make this offensive to some of our customers," Wachovia spokeswoman Kathy Harrison said.

Florida was ninth in the country for bank robberies in 2006, with 265. That number climbed to 361 robberies last year, in which more than $2.4 million was swiped.

The FBA says some 40 percent of all bank robberies involve some kind of facial disguise: masks, helmets or other head coverings.

"While it may take some time for customers to become accustomed to it, once they understand it is for the safety of bank employees and for customers like themselves, they will be more willing to participate," said FBA spokeswoman Renee Thompson.

It has worked in other states. Missouri, for example, reportedly saw a 47 percent drop in bank heists after adopting it in 2002.

"We believe we'll see immediate benefits," said Rick Lee, FBA chairman and president of Citizens Bank of Florida in Oviedo.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a dumb as "banning handguns" to prevent murders

What the fuck is gonna stop a robber from coming in and holding up the place with a fuckin towel on their head? (<--- not a racist joke, that was said literally)
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I will stick to the drive up teller.

I will play ball as long as they remove the no CCW sign.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not just get one of those signs, "Please unload gun and remove ski mask before entering"?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
my bank has those signs, i still wear hat and sunglasses inside and have never had a word said to me
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
As if someone there to rob the bank is going to read the sign, or better yet, make nice for the cameras.....

The only thing this will have an impact on is paperhangers.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't usuaaly wear hats, but my sunglasses stay on. If they don't like it, fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
For a bunch of people that probably have some high IQ scores the Banker community sure is collectively as fucking dumb as a pile of rocks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For a bunch of people that probably have some high IQ scores the Banker community sure is collectively as fucking dumb as a pile of rocks.

I don't know about that,

the dumbest girl i ever dated was a cpa
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Most of the time when I go to my credit union, I'm wearing my bike helmet, glasses and gloves.  No one thinks a thing.  They all know me as the slob who isn't exactly broke.  Only the first time did the receptionist try to stop me.  "Can I help you, Sir?"  After telling her no twice, upon her third offer of assistance, I told her that I was a member and that I only look like a bike messenger.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Reminds me of a story.

In the late 80s a rancher here in Spokane parked in his bank parking lot and ran into a store to do some shopping. Then he popped into his bank and asked a loan officer to validate his parking slip. She refused, saying he needed to see a teller. He asked twice more, she refused twice more.

So he went to see a teller.

That evening he closed his accounts and took $7,000,000 to the bank next door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top