Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2001 8:03:54 PM EDT
I was looking to get one of the cut rate FAL's kits built on American receivers for $600. Now someone warned me they are totally undependable. Do I have to go to the DSA product? [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The DSA built STG58 kit guns have only good things said about them. I think they are $795.00 to the dealer. RH
Link Posted: 3/3/2001 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it depends on your luck at purchase time. Many have bought the rebuilt FALs and have had no problems at all, while others have had many problems from day one. If you buy one of the cheaper Century built FALs out there, you might end up spending just as much money fixing the problems as you saved buy not buying a DSA.

Bolt hold open pins have been removed, gas pistons have broken or been too warped to function, fire control parts made in the US have been known to function improperly or not at all. It really is a crap shoot buying a rebuilt FAL when any part on it is marked CENTURY.

Let me just add that I don't own a DSA but have bought many parts from them and seen/held thier line or FALS. Price was an issue with me so I built my own, but man if I had the money I'd have a room full of DSA FALs

Frankly, it's much easier to build your own as you'll know what you are getting and what kind of quality went into the build.
DSA produces some of the best FALs out there, but you need to remember, while some of the rifle parts are made in the US, some are from demilled kits. While I have no problem with DSA quailty, function or appearence, I do have a problem with the price. That is the ONLY problem with any DSA rifle I can mention or think of. You can't go wrong buying DSA if you have the cash, but even they have answered the price issue by making an STG58A Authentic Austrian FAL with a lower price than some of thier other FALs. I would buy any FAL DSA put on the market as I know it's going to be a quality item, however I might be more inclined to pick up the newer STG58A Authentic Austrian FAL than a higher priced item.

There is a newer rebuilt FAL on the market which has been getting good reviews called the
Israeli Arms International M444 FAL rifle. I'd also buy one of these or a DSA before I bought anything else.

Good Luck

Ted III

Link Posted: 3/18/2001 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello.  I just wanted to offer my opinion on your question about the choice of a DSA FAL or other FAL?  If you want the absolute best quality FAl, go with the DSA.  I own a DSA FAL.  It is the all stainless steel option FAL with the medium contour stainless barrel.  The machine work is top-notch.  The rifle is extremely well made.  When you hold it in your hands you can feel the quality of the rifle.  It is also extremely accurate either with a scope or iron sights.  The only draw back to the DSA FAL is that they are a bit expensive.  But you get what you pay for and the prices that DSA charges for their FAL's are definitely worth it.  I have to say that it is the best rifle that I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#4]
While I will agree that a DSA is the very best FAL out there, I won't buy one.  I can't in good conscience pay that price.  Enterprise FALs are also very good rifles with a bit smaller price tag.  I have owned six different Century FALs at one time or other.  I must have been lucky because they all functioned flawlessly.  I still own two of them and am very satisfied.  The new Imbel Fals and IAI Fals may be a very good bargain.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
DSA is the only way to go you won't be disappointed.  Worht the money I've got 4 of them myself and have handled others and there is no comparison.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with a DSA. I did. I justified the price by comparing the quality and warranties.

DSA has excellent quality with a lifetime warranty.

The others? You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#7]
SS109, Go hit the FN FAL site for a while
www.fnfal.com
then click on FAL Files message board above the very good looking rifle.
I've learned alot, just ordered one of the group buy FAL kits.
they can set ya straight, It seems to me that the DSA is the way to go. in fact my brother ordered a DSA friday. too bad they dont have a store since its only about 20 miles from the house. I'll build the kit then probably get a DSA. Of corse what I really want is an original Belgian Rifle
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The DSA STG-58 Kit assembled rifle is a nice weapon - mine should arrive next week to my FFL. Dealer cost is $795. I had to add a profit for the FFL, shipping the the governor's $75 for a rifle just under $900.
View Quote

Paul which did you buy the type 1 or 2 and what the differance between the two,the prices is the same on thier website.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know what the IAI FALs are going for?  My Dad has 2 Century FALs and they both operate flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#11]
^^
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]
CIB--which FAL's does he have?  The old Century L1A1 sporters (I had one) weren't so bad--they only had to put a thumbhole stock on it instead of fitting US parts to make it legal.  The IAI guns are $750

Proteus--Get the Type 2.  I saw a post on the FAL Files board that DSA has stopped making the Type 2 receivers, and is only selling existing stocks.  Appearance is the only real difference.

YardDog--the rifle in the pic. was assembled by Arizona Response Systems (Gunplumber) from an STG kit (sorry, not sure what receiver) and refinished in his "Metacol" finish--this from an earlier thread over there.

SS109--the Hesse guns have the bad receivers (fitting problems, mostly).  The DSA guns are excellent.

I have a DSA Standard and DSA Carbine.  I would not hesitate to get the DSA parts gun--I had a chance to look at one, and it is as nice as either of the two factory DSA's that I have.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
The order in which currently available FAL's rank, in terms of fit/finish, production techniques and over all quality are as follows:

1) DSA's "top shelf" FAL's $1,300.00-$1,700.00

2) DSA's STG58 kit guns $800.00-$900.00

3) Steyr STG58's $700.00-$800.00

4) FN FAL's

5) Isreali FAL's

The rest of the "parts" FAL's run a VERY wide spectrum of quality. Imbel receivers are nice, but depending on the rest of the parts used and the gunsmith that assembles the gun, the "parts" FAL's can be real nice shooters, or total junk.

For the price, there is nothing close to the DSA STG58 kit guns. They are finished so well that they look absolutely brand new. Here's the link to them on DSA's web page.....
[url]http://www.dsarms.com/SA58Rifles/SA58A_STG58_Austrian_FAL.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Proteus--Get the Type 2.  I saw a post on the FAL Files board that DSA has stopped making the Type 2 receivers, and is only selling existing stocks.  Appearance is the only real difference.
View Quote

AFARR and M4 thanks for the info..I'm still waiting to see if my FFL has the balls to order one  for me in the PRNJ.According to some posts in the legal Forum  the's FAL is now legal again in Jersey.I have not seen a FAL in this state since 1990 AW banned went into effect.F-you Jim Florrio[-!-][pissed][-!-!-] it cost you a second term as governor and the primary for senator not that Corzine was any better than you.[puke][flag].WOW I feel better now that I vented [:D]

Link Posted: 3/19/2001 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey, I'm with the guys on the DSAs. I have 'em and they're simply awesome! The waiting list through DSA was a major pain (1.5 years for me), but when the baby arrived.............
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#16]
AFARR they are the old Century Sporters, with the Butthole stock.  While I'm on this subject any of you fellas know where there is an American made parts kit to DX the butthole stock on an FAL?
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#17]
DSA.

As the saying goes, you'll never regret buying the best.  And don't forget the resale value.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Go with a DSA. I did. I justified the price by comparing the quality and warranties.

DSA has excellent quality with a lifetime warranty.

The others? You get what you pay for.
View Quote

Wobblin' Goblin - You got that right!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
The waiting list through DSA was a major pain (1.5 years for me), ....
View Quote

When was this Saico? Took me about 5 weeks from date of order about a year ago. Even Harley Davidson at its greediest never made you wait that long.
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I just want to keep this thread going.[8D]
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Proteus, you need to meet a nice DSA. Someone to cuddle, and keep you off the net. Take heart, they're out there. Try the next church social in Elizabeth....[:D]
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I too took the DSA-STG plunge...delivered was around $9ish, and YES YES YES it was worth EVERY penny. This rifle IS second to none, IMHO.

It appears from the roll call here, we do agree gentlemen. And in ANY gun debate, that is a CERTAIN RARITY!!!

BTW, FWIW, when the earthquake hit (Seattle) it was NOT an AR, an AK, or any others, it was my FN I grabbed.....before the ground stopped shaking....
Link Posted: 3/20/2001 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Proteus, you need to meet a nice DSA. Someone to cuddle, and keep you off the net. Take heart, they're out there. Try the next church social in Elizabeth....[:D]
View Quote

Oldeschool stop it!! don't tease me any longer!!![:p]Maybe when I get my DSA I'll
drive down your way and we'll have that
social event together...[;)]
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Who carries DSA other than DSA?
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Oldeschool stop it!! don't tease me any longer!!!
View Quote

Sorry, Proteus_X3, until you get one, ain't gonna stop! [:D]

Maybe when I get my DSA I'll
drive down your way and we'll have that
social event together...
View Quote

Sounds like a plan. Glad to see you're at the
"when I get my DSA" point.... [beer]
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the advice guys. My next .308 will be a DSA FAL.
[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top