Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 9:55:32 AM EDT
I usually Duck hunt out in the Bay, but we had an opportunity to hunt a private pond lots of fun.
Also the guy holding the two ducks this was his first kill.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
tag for dinner pic! Nice!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
My buddy was out this weekend and brought a $100 leg band into work this morning.  That's how you get your wife to understand hunting trips!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
What is this "hut" you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
When are you hosting the ARFcom get together / duck roast?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Way to target the hens.  You should just go out in the spring and stomp the eggs next time, Suzykiller.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]

i'm going to guess that, out of the three guys pictured, the ARFCOMMER has to be one of the two guys in woodland.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#7]
At least DkProf's girlfriend was safe....

Nice hunting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I was wondering where you were...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was wondering where you were...

Thanks man. I was thinking of you too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm glad you had a good hunt!  It's great you brought another guy into the fold.  

Don't mind the <inevitable> naysayers.  They hit every thread of this type--ignore them.  

Thanks for your kind remarks
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell us the truth, you just racked the slide on the 870 and they fell out of the air, scared dead...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Way to target the hens.  You should just go out in the spring and stomp the eggs next time, Suzykiller.

Stomping the eggs is no fun, The hens will just lay more... You have to shake them up so it kills the offspring, but never hatches!

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice pics.  Was it as windy as it looked?

Were you guy doing your own retrieving or did you have a dog?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nice pics.  Was it as windy as it looked?

Were you guy doing your own retrieving or did you have a dog?

It was windy, raining, I bird dogged for the new guy but next time he is going to work
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice mixed bag!

Lessee l to r : widgeon, gadwall, hen mallard, hen pintail? blackduck...

How'd I do?

Hard to tell on the 4th one, the bill should tell me, but it escapes me for now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I went along for the ride with one of buddies when he was duck hunting and the only thing I can remember is getting up before the sun, and it being soooooo cold.

Glad you had a good time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It was windy, raining, I bird dogged for the new guy but next time he is going to work

Good to go.  Are you going to follow this up with a dinner pic?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Usually I chicken fry the ducks and make gravy and only eat the gravy
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How come???

Is duck not very good? I've never had it....
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try this--breast them out by splitting the skin open and fileting each half of the breast into a small "steak."  Cook it on the grill with BBQ sauce.  Make sure you don't overcook it as the dark meat will get dry and nasty.  Cook it like a medium steak and you will have some yummy stuff.  

Or marinate them in soy sauce/garlic, or italian salad dressing.

One of my professors in college - a world-famous duck researcher - liked to soak his duck breasts in buttermilk before cooking them. Personally, I didn't care for the buttermilk aftertaste.

+1 to the part in red.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I have cooked it a lot of different ways. It is usually not that good . It depends a lot on what the duck eats like plant or animal matter. I have never tried what the bee keeper suggested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I breast out all ducks and geese,unless saving a couple pretty ones for roasting or gifts.
Ducks, I just marinate breasts in Worchestershire (SP?) sauce a couple hours,then a shake  seasoned salt, then broil 6- 8 min per side, served HOT over a bed of wild rice.
Geese, I butterfly eack breast filet first.
Well, after %$#$# the #$%^ out of it, then slamming it's head in the sock drawer
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try this--breast them out by splitting the skin open and fileting each half of the breast into a small "steak."  Cook it on the grill with BBQ sauce.  Make sure you don't overcook it as the dark meat will get dry and nasty.  Cook it like a medium steak and you will have some yummy stuff.  

Or marinate them in soy sauce/garlic, or italian salad dressing.

One of my professors in college - a world-famous duck researcher - liked to soak his duck breasts in buttermilk before cooking them. Personally, I didn't care for the buttermilk aftertaste.

+1 to the part in red.

+2 I usually breast them too, marinate, then grill.  There is a small window on when they are just about done and when they are jerky.  Be careful.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#27]
-5 for no smiling labrador in the pics.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
and when they are jerky.  Be careful.

Speaking of jerky, I don't care much for eating divers, but right before I got out of duck hunting, we had a couple of years where bufflehead came through en masse.

They proved to be too tough to grill, so we made duck jerky out of them.

Oh, and as for eating duck legs....teal are the exception. Teal is the one speices I'd skin or pluck and bake whole (after marinating).
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Well done.

Good that you got the noob into the hunting fold.

What kind of shotgun is the auto?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well done.

Good that you got the noob into the hunting fold.

What kind of shotgun is the auto?

BigDozer66

That's my buddy's Beretta, I am the guy on top, as you can tell only the finest shot guns known to man for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Oh, and as for eating duck legs....teal are the exception. Teal is the one speices I'd skin or pluck and bake whole (after marinating).

+1 on Teal, very good eating duck.  IMO the best eating duck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have cooked it a lot of different ways. It is usually not that good . It depends a lot on what the duck eats like plant or animal matter. I have never tried what the bee keeper suggested.

Most guys try to cook it like chicken or turkey and that just doesn't work.  No matter what you do, the leg meat on ducks/geese/wild turkeys are fit only for pounding nails, so breast them and treat them like steaks.  Many species (fish-eating divers) taste a bit strong so something (marinate or BBQ sauce) to temper that is good for those who are hesitant to eat "wild stuff."  Dabblers tend to be good and mild--especially woodies and mallards.

I am going to do what you said with these ducks
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:01:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Filet the breasts.  Wrap in saran wrap and pound flat with a tenderizing hammer.  Season to taste and saute in a hot skillet with a few spoons of oil. Saute just until thty stop leeching blood.  

Set on paper towels and allow to drain.  

Fry eggs in pan, over medium.  

Place one slice of ham or sausage (chorizo preferably), the egg, and the duck breast on panini bread.  Season with dressing of choice.  Add lettuce, tomato.  

Eat duck sammich.  And I was serious....quit shooting hens.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top