Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 8:33:23 AM EDT
So I've had a cold for the last week and a half.  It is MUCH better... just a lil sore throat and some coughing.

I woke up in a coughing fit at 3am last night and coughed so hard my right ear popped.  It feels like there is fluid in there... like when water gets stuck in your ear when you are swimming.  If I rock my had back and forth, I get that same sensation as when water is in there while swimming.

I can still hear okay out of it and it improved a bit after sleeping the rest of the night, but it still feels funny.

What the hell happened?  Anything I have to be worried about?  Was it just air from my sinuses getting forced in there and will eventually equalize?

- BG
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
 Dibs on guns,ammo,and gear!!!!   My cousin had that...3 days later...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The cold caused fluid to build up in the middle ear.  Inflammation of the eustacian tube (linking the throat and ear) makes it impossible for the fluid to drain and pressure builds up.  The coughing fit caused the eardrum to burst and the fluid drained out.  No worries, clean the ear with a sterile Q tip.  It will heal itself in a few days.

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
your bleeding out from the ear..

i see your gun and ammo are aready called..

dibbs on your computer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess I'll be the first to suggest that you go to your family doctor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess I'll be the first to suggest that you go to your family doctor.

+1 sounds like an ear infection. Some anti-biotics will clean that right up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Your brain has burst, and is barely being held in by your eardrum.  As the pressure mounts, you will go into a frothing, insane fury and will start to hunt and eat people.  You will be... a zombie.

Since dibs on the guns is already called, I call dibs on any gold fillings you might have.  I'll pick 'em out of what's left of your head after you take the headshot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Dibs on your gf or wife.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#9]
[ARFCOM DR]I am sorry to inform you, but you have caught teh ghey.[/ARFCOM DR]
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dibs on your gf or wife.

They already got my guns, ammo, and computer... you may as well take my right hand.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The cold caused fluid to build up in the middle ear.  Inflammation of the eustacian tube (linking the throat and ear) makes it impossible for the fluid to drain and pressure builds up.  The coughing fit caused the eardrum to burst and the fluid drained out.  No worries, clean the ear with a sterile Q tip.  It will heal itself in a few days.

There is no fluid coming out of the ear, tho.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably just pressure built up in the middle ear, since it can't equalize out through the auditory tube. Might be fluid if it was infected in there. Cleaning the external ear canal won't do anything, since it's inside the ear drum.

You might go to a doctor and get some antibiotics, or it should just clear up on its own given time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Probably just pressure built up in the middle ear, since it can't equalize out through the auditory tube. Might be fluid if it was infected in there. Cleaning the external ear canal won't do anything, since it's inside the ear drum.

You might go to a doctor and get some antibiotics, or it should just clear up on its own given time.

I'm going to go with "give it time."

I've had enough doctors for one week.

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top